TPA’s

Post by momo&medo » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 10:47 pm

NRL makes third-party agreements public and strengthens contract process
Author
Chris Kennedy
NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 13 Dec 2018, 10:01 PM
In a historic move, the NRL has made public the total value of each club's third-party agreements in a move it says will improve transparency and integrity of the code's contract process while dispelling misconceptions about how much clubs are relying on TPAs.

In 2018, the total value of cash and contra TPAs across the 16 clubs was $4.2 million – around 2.8% of the roughly $150 million cap – down from 3.5% in 2017 and expected to fall further in 2019 following the retirements of several highly marketable superstars.

On average, clubs benefited from $264,000 in TPAs, a figure boosted greatly by Melbourne (slightly more than $1 million) and Brisbane (almost $800,000).

Both clubs are one-team towns with strong corporate support while once-in-a-generation superstars in the twilight of their careers, like Cameron Smith and Billy Slater, boosted the Storm well above the average.

The Cowboys came in a distant third but are likely to drop significantly in 2019 following Johnathan Thurston's retirement while the Rabbitohs – a strong brand with a number of stars – were the only other club sitting above the average.

At the lower end, the Eels, Titans and Bulldogs netted barely $50,000 each through a combination of crowded marketplaces, poor on-field results and a dearth of highly marketable individuals.

The total 2018 TPA pool includes 205 agreements spread across 94 players but this does not include a large number of small non-cash deals – for example equipment like boots and headgear – that most NRL players have in some form.

NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks hoped the move would settle misconceptions that exist among not just fans and media but even clubs as to what other clubs are getting.

"For the first time, fans, clubs and others will be able to see for themselves exactly the volume of third party agreements that exist in the game. We think that's a good thing," Weeks said.

"One of the challenges we've seen is some misconceptions in the game about volume of TPAs which has caused some clubs and others to make bad decisions around the salary cap rules."

Weeks did not specify any clubs but salary cap penalties to Parramatta in 2016 and Manly in 2018 are well-documented, with the implication being that those clubs believed other clubs were getting a significant leg-up and needed to find a way to bend the rules to play catch-up.

"We think being able to understand the proper picture will help clubs, agents and others," Weeks added.

"We think the data we have illustrates clearly the volume of third party agreements that exist across the game aren't as great as some people believe.

"This has been an area that has created a lot of attention among fans and the media, a lot of the debate around it is inaccurate so we think by providing more transparency and accurate information it will take some of the heat out of the debate and that will only improve our compliance with the salary cap rules."

Weeks confirmed there were no plans to extend the increased transparency to the point of making player salaries public.

For the first time, fans, clubs and others will be able to see for themselves exactly the volume of third party agreements that exist in the game.
Nick Weeks
The NRL is also adding a layer to the process of signing players, with clubs and agents now required to submit all formal letters of offer to the NRL rather than just the final contract once a player has signed.

"We think it's another tool in our armoury to help us monitor what's going on with contracting activities," Weeks explained.

"To the extent there are some contracts that are done which are unusual in terms of players accepting offers less than other clubs are offering, it allows us to see that.

"At the moment we don't see anything until the contract is lodged. We only ever see the deal that's done with the club the player goes to. What we'll see in the future is competing offers that are made to the player before he makes his decision."

For example if two clubs flagged letters of offer to the NRL for a player that were around $700,000, and the player instead accepted a deal at a third club worth just $500,000 with no registered TPAs, that would present a red flag.

The NRL gained the power under the latest collective bargaining agreement to access players' phone and bank records, meaning in the above example it could monitor any suspicious activity more thoroughly.

"We've tried to put in more checks and balances to help identify any non-compliance with the rules," Weeks said.

"What is also does is require clubs, agents and players to jump through more hoops before they register third party agreements or sign playing contracts.

"We've got access to bank accounts now… We're very careful about when we use those powers because they're very significant so we'd only use them when we have a strong suspicion there has been a breach of the rules."

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/2018/10/ ... oto-inline

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 10:52 pm

What are the Warriors doing , one team one country .....

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 10:52 pm

According to the graph which you will have a link to on NRL.com webpage ... we have less than $200k in TPA’s.
One town teams have an obvious advantage withBroncosand Storm leading the pack at around $1m.
Surprisingly Roosters are shown as fairly low at around $400k on pare with Panthersand Souths.
So take it as you will but still don’t believe some of the Sydney teams reportable figures.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 11:12 pm

Where the hell was Harry in 2018,!,

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 2:24 am

So these are the registered ones? Hell the Rorters would add another 4.8% if they came clean.
Today we saw a true champion in Winx, and a true bludger in Cleary!

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 4:13 am

I used to really believe the uneven playing field / underdog mentality/ cheating the cap stuff. I just think other clubs are better run than us now.
Hopefully that's changing

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 5:10 am

They say teams like dogs and eels at low TPA amounts due to poor performances.

Yet i thought TPA's were part of the deal a player signed to play with a club

For example - if Hayne had to of signed 2017 and 2018 for eels and a TPA in the agreement for both years wouldn't it be paid regardless

Is a private TPA aponsor allowed to renig on their deal because a team is playing poorly?

Is this what is happening when players are blowing up and wanting a release because they weren't paid their TPA

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 5:35 am

Releasing the figures on the legal TPAs is just the tip of the iceberg,everything that is hidden below the waterline is what they dont address(majority of the iceberg).
The NRL continue to run a distorted competition favouring some clubs and will not change under the current administration

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 5:44 am

I think of people have proof of these under the iceberg payments they should come forward and expose them..

I bet these TPA's the NRL have released are Club affiliated TPA's which are an allowance under the cap not the dodgy bros scams that seem to get found out in the cap rorts ..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 5:54 am

tiger05premier wrote:
Fri 14 Dec, 2018 5:10 am
They say teams like dogs and eels at low TPA amounts due to poor performances.

Yet i thought TPA's were part of the deal a player signed to play with a club

For example - if Hayne had to of signed 2017 and 2018 for eels and a TPA in the agreement for both years wouldn't it be paid regardless

Is a private TPA aponsor allowed to renig on their deal because a team is playing poorly?

Is this what is happening when players are blowing up and wanting a release because they weren't paid their TPA
2 Types of TPA's Club affiliated which are allowed under the cap and be provided by Club sponsors I guess if the Club is not performing the way they would like they could withdraw them...these can be guaranteed by the Club..then non Club affiliated TPA's which are solely (supposedly) between the player and the 3rd party not able to be guaranteed by the Club so if the 3rd Party doesn't believe they are getting the value for their buck they could renig and then it's between them and the player to sort it out..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 6:50 am

tigerap wrote:
Thu 13 Dec, 2018 11:12 pm
Where has Harry ever been
Fixed

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 7:18 am

The NRL have access to the players bank accounts, but do they have access to wife’s,partners,parents,siblings etc...a million and one ways to siphon off money. It’s all the shonkey stuff that only comes to life by a whistle blower

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 8:37 am

Once again the NRL are treating the supporters as a bunch of idiots.

If they think that load of garbage is going to be believed ... well we know they are fools.

400k for Rorters .... sure.

Now maybe they can give us the figures for the teams and the Brown Paper Bag payments.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 9:20 am

TPAs revealed: The $1 million difference between NRL’s haves and have-nots
The NRL has published the private deals being made by each of its clubs, revealing a huge divide between the league’s haves and have-nots.

By Steve Zemek
AAP DECEMBER 14, 20188:45AM

Melbourne players earn the most from third-party agreements in the NRL.Source:Getty Images

The NRL has published the value of each club’s third party agreements for the first time with the numbers revealing a near $1 million gulf between rugby league’s haves and have-nots.

TPAs have long been a source of concern for the game’s governing body with the deals at the heart of the Parramatta and Manly salary cap scandals and the ongoing integrity unit investigation at Cronulla.

In an effort to promote transparency and help regulate the salary cap, the NRL for the first time on Thursday published details of how much players from each club earn from TPAs.

Third party agreements are private deals between players and sponsors which are supposed to be organised at arm’s length from the club, with the amount not included in the salary cap.The NRL’s numbers revealed that Melbourne were the big winners, with their players pulling in $1.032 million this year.

Brisbane, who have long been accused of having an unfair advantage in being able to source TPAs given they operate in a one-team town, had just under $800,000 worth of deals.

It is a massive gap compared to Parramatta, with Eels players only able to attract $49,000 worth of TPA deals.

NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks said they decided to publish the figures in a bid to dispel myths and inaccuracies.

However critics are likely to use the numbers to point to the discrepancy between the game’s most powerful franchises and the strugglers with the Storm and Broncos accounting for nearly half of the $4.2 million worth of deals registered by the NRL.

“For the first time fans, clubs and others will be able to see for themselves the volume of third party agreements that exist in the game,” Weeks said.

“One of the challenges we’ve seen is some misconception in the game about the volume of TPAs, which has caused some clubs and others to make some bad decisions around the salary cap rules.”

The Sydney Roosters — often seen as one of the richest clubs in the competition — had just under $200,000 worth of TPAs on their books — comparable with Manly, Canberra and the Warriors and under the average of $264,000.T

However Weeks said the game had no plans to publish players’ salaries to bring it in line with American sports such as the NBA.

The NRL will also require that all offers made by clubs to players must be submitted to Rugby League Central, regardless of whether they’re accepted. Asked if these checks and balances would have prevented the Sea Eagles and Eels salary cap scandals, Weeks said: “Ultimately if people are prepared to cheat, then they’re going to do that, and no regulation is going to stop it.

“What this might do is help the NRL detect that type of behaviour earlier.”

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 9:30 am

Russell wrote:
Fri 14 Dec, 2018 8:37 am

If they think that load of garbage is going to be believed ... well we know they are fools.

Now maybe they can give us the figures for the teams and the Brown Paper Bag payments.
Now if you are just going to be an idiot about this, keep it to yourself.

They are making the formal TPA figures public. They haven't said anything about illegal payments because, of course, nobody knows how many might exist and what they might be. It's not as if the NRL has a "legal TPA" register that they've just shared with everyone, but an "illegal TPA" register that they've kept to themselves.

If you are trying to say that the NRL know the "real" values of TPAs and are tampering with the public figures to suit some agenda - well then you are totally off the reservation and you may as well give up on rugby league, if you think the governing body has some special interest towards certain clubs.

What it does tell us, finally, is that people using the argument about TPAs severely advantaging one club or another now have some facts to prove or disprove what they are saying. Typically in 2018 it's been about the Roosters, and clearly the Roosters are not TPA heavyweights.

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 9:35 am

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 14 Dec, 2018 9:30 am
Russell wrote:

They are making the formal TPA figures public. They haven't said anything about illegal payments because, of course, nobody knows how many might exist and what they might be. It's not as if the NRL has a "legal TPA" register that they've just shared with everyone, but an "illegal TPA" register that they've kept to themselves.

If you are trying to say that the NRL know the "real" values of TPAs and are tampering with the public figures to suit some agenda - well then you are totally off the reservation and you may as well give up on rugby league, if you think the governing body has some special interest towards certain clubs.

What it does tell us, finally, is that people using the argument about TPAs severely advantaging one club or another now have some facts to prove or disprove what they are saying. Typically in 2018 it's been about the Roosters, and clearly the Roosters are not TPA heavyweights.
Usually like your posts. Name calling is usually not your style. Let's keep it that way.

I stated an opinion - I am entitled to it without being called an "IDIOT"

Not cool jirskyr, not cool.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 9:44 am

I have two issues with this.
The first, the article hints at, where you have one team towns with strong corporate support. That strong corporate support is for players that play in that town only. You can't tell me that if lemon motors Melbourne is handing a TPA to Cameron Smith while he plays with Storm, they will continue to support him when he goes to the Bulldogs.
The second is the 'in kind' support that many here suspect happens in the Eastern suburbs. Just flash your Roosters card and get a discount. The NRL can never police that.
"Quality Stupidity"

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 9:50 am

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 14 Dec, 2018 9:30 am
Russell wrote:

That's because skins tournaments and reimbursing mates for where your players shop and eat aren't part of official TPA's.
Help me... I broke apart my insides,
Help me... I've got no soul to sell;
Help me... The only thing that works for me,
Help me get away from myself...

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...