Page 1 of 1

Tigers Rank Highest in Desperation Defense

Posted: Fri 04 Jan, 2019 6:22 pm
by TheDaBoss
Even though they finished ninth on the ladder in 2018, when it came to scrambling in defence, the Wests Tigers were second to none.

It took an average of 12.7 missed tackles for the Wests Tigers let the opposition over their goal line, the most of any club in the league.

The stat explains why the Tigers had the sixth best defensive record last season despite finishing with more missed tackles per game than any other team.

Eventual premiers Sydney Roosters finished closely behind with an average of 12.1 missed tackles per try conceded.


Top-eight teams the Penrith Panthers and the New Zealand Warriors filled the third and fourth spots for efficient scramble defence – it took the Panthers an average of 11.9 missed tackles and Warriors an average of 11.6 missed tackles before they allowed opposition teams to put points on the board.

Runners-up Melbourne Storm claimed the fifth spot with an average of 11.0 missed tackles per try conceded, while the Cronulla Sharks on average missed 10.3 tackles before a try was conceded.


Bottom-eight teams in the Canberra Raiders (9.3), North Queensland Cowboys (9.2), Gold Coast Titans (8.6), Parramatta Eels (8.6), Canterbury Bulldogs (7.8) and the Newcastle Knights (7.6) also ranked at the bottom of the chart for average missed tackles per try conceded.

The Manly Sea Eagles' desperation defence left a lot to be desired, ranking last with an average of just 6.9 missed tackles per try conceded.

It comes as no surprise as the side also conceded the most points throughout the season (622).

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/04/sta ... n-defence/

Re: Tigers Rank Highest in Desperation Defense

Posted: Fri 04 Jan, 2019 11:01 pm
by colmcd
I like seeing a team win the Desperation defense.
Although I seem to remember us defending a lot on our line.
Melbourne seems to be able to use their defensive efforts to wear the other team down, but with us I can tell it hits our players.

Still as entertaining as anything!

Re: Tigers Rank Highest in Desperation Defense

Posted: Sat 05 Jan, 2019 9:03 am
by Geo.
Stupid Stat...

Re: Tigers Rank Highest in Desperation Defense

Posted: Sat 05 Jan, 2019 9:13 am
by TheDaBoss
Geo. wrote:
Sat 05 Jan, 2019 9:03 am
Stupid Stat...
Good Point

Re: Tigers Rank Highest in Desperation Defense

Posted: Sat 05 Jan, 2019 12:17 pm
by happy tiger
Geo. wrote:
Sat 05 Jan, 2019 9:03 am
Stupid Stat...
Yep

Desperate sides can still get lapped 50-0

Lot easier and far less stressful if you make 95% of your first up efforts dominant (and stick ) and get numbers into tackles and slow the ruck down , makes it far easier for our middle and edge defenders later in the tackle count

Also makes it easier in attack with far better field position to start sets and a greater likelihood you will be in an attacking position with the kick or ball in hand if you complete the set

Gee this game sounds easy , why don't I have a head coaching gig ........... :roll

Re: Tigers Rank Highest in Desperation Defense

Posted: Sat 05 Jan, 2019 1:47 pm
by Fade To Black
Would be nice to top the "penalties for" list for once. That would be handy.

Re: Tigers Rank Highest in Desperation Defense

Posted: Sat 05 Jan, 2019 2:12 pm
by sheer64
Well we are desperate....

Re: Tigers Rank Highest in Desperation Defense

Posted: Sat 05 Jan, 2019 2:15 pm
by Sabre
Well we definitely get to practice our scramble defence enough, so we should be the best.

Re: Tigers Rank Highest in Desperation Defense

Posted: Sat 05 Jan, 2019 2:37 pm
by Tiger Steve
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 05 Jan, 2019 12:17 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sat 05 Jan, 2019 9:03 am
Stupid Stat...
Yep

Desperate sides can still get lapped 50-0

Lot easier and far less stressful if you make 95% of your first up efforts dominant (and stick ) and get numbers into tackles and slow the ruck down , makes it far easier for our middle and edge defenders later in the tackle count

Also makes it easier in attack with far better field position to start sets and a greater likelihood you will be in an attacking position with the kick or ball in hand if you complete the set

Gee this game sounds easy , why don't I have a head coaching gig ........... :roll
Might be a CEO gig going if you’re interested??

Re: Tigers Rank Highest in Desperation Defense

Posted: Sat 05 Jan, 2019 2:42 pm
by happy tiger
Tiger Steve wrote:
Sat 05 Jan, 2019 2:37 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 05 Jan, 2019 12:17 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sat 05 Jan, 2019 9:03 am
Stupid Stat...
Yep

Desperate sides can still get lapped 50-0

Lot easier and far less stressful if you make 95% of your first up efforts dominant (and stick ) and get numbers into tackles and slow the ruck down , makes it far easier for our middle and edge defenders later in the tackle count

Also makes it easier in attack with far better field position to start sets and a greater likelihood you will be in an attacking position with the kick or ball in hand if you complete the set

Gee this game sounds easy , why don't I have a head coaching gig ........... :roll
Might be a CEO gig going if you’re interested??
Probably last about 5 minutes , would make Politis look like Mother Theresa if given half the chance :lol:

Re: Tigers Rank Highest in Desperation Defense

Posted: Sat 05 Jan, 2019 2:59 pm
by jirskyr
Geo. wrote:
Sat 05 Jan, 2019 9:03 am
Stupid Stat...
Not stupid, just part of a bigger picture.

On this analysis, the best 8 sides for conceding less tries per missed tackle also happened to be 7 of the final Top 8, with the premiers second on the list. Only Tigers and Dragons were out of position.

Any stat that predicts 7/8 of the Top 8 is worth paying some attention to. And it was quite evident in season 2018 that many clubs were prepared to give away penalties, missed tackles and extra sets so long as they ultimately held their goal-line.

Very obviously the corollary is to fundamentally have less missed tackles and less tries conceded.

And for Tigers the issue in 2018 wasn't defence, it was attack. We held teams out well but didn't score enough points when we had position and possession.

Re: Tigers Rank Highest in Desperation Defense

Posted: Sat 05 Jan, 2019 3:07 pm
by Geo.
Booooooooring...

Maybe if the weren't so stuffed from having to scramble in defense to make up for all the missed tackles they could have had some juice in the tank to score some more points...

Re: Tigers Rank Highest in Desperation Defense

Posted: Sat 05 Jan, 2019 3:12 pm
by Tiger Steve
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 05 Jan, 2019 2:42 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Sat 05 Jan, 2019 2:37 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 05 Jan, 2019 12:17 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sat 05 Jan, 2019 9:03 am
Stupid Stat...
Yep

Desperate sides can still get lapped 50-0

Lot easier and far less stressful if you make 95% of your first up efforts dominant (and stick ) and get numbers into tackles and slow the ruck down , makes it far easier for our middle and edge defenders later in the tackle count

Also makes it easier in attack with far better field position to start sets and a greater likelihood you will be in an attacking position with the kick or ball in hand if you complete the set

Gee this game sounds easy , why don't I have a head coaching gig ........... :roll
Might be a CEO gig going if you’re interested??
Probably last about 5 minutes , would make Politis look like Mother Theresa if given half the chance :lol:
:roll

Re: Tigers Rank Highest in Desperation Defense

Posted: Sat 05 Jan, 2019 4:44 pm
by TheDaBoss
sheer64 wrote:
Sat 05 Jan, 2019 2:12 pm
Well we are desperate....
for numerous things

Re: Tigers Rank Highest in Desperation Defense

Posted: Sun 13 Jan, 2019 4:37 pm
by TIGER
Geo. wrote:
Sat 05 Jan, 2019 3:07 pm
Booooooooring...

Maybe if the weren't so stuffed from having to scramble in defense to make up for all the missed tackles they could have had some juice in the tank to score some more points...
Bingo!!

To me this stat says we're ineffective in defense but we cover it (buy using more energy) which means we're inefficient in D,
add a team that struggled to score points and that's the story of 2018