Use of bench

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:30 PM
Venue: Toyota Park, Cronulla
Telecast: FOX Sports 2
larrycorowa

Use of bench

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 04 Sep, 2011 3:12 pm

Had no idea what Sheens was doing with his use of the bench in the 2nd half. Mackinnon to fullback, Moltzen to centre, Ashyford to 2nd row. Thought we had enough disruptions with Utai playing out of position and Brown in for Ryan. Could understand if we were 30 in front.....

Have learned not to criticise Sheens because he gets it right 90% of the time. If anyone has a logical explanation would be good to hear it.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Sun 04 Sep, 2011 3:19 pm

The commentators were saying something along the lines of 'going for the knock-out punch', but I'd definitely rather our original set up for that, I don't really think McKinnon adds much in attack outside of his support play.
I'm with you on this one, had me shot for ideas.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 04 Sep, 2011 3:59 pm

Its to replace a prop with a fullback....

Mackinnon on for Moltzen to take Ayshfords spot in the centre, who moves into the 2nd row to take ellis' spot who moves into the front row to take I think it was Groats spot

...perfectly logical

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sun 04 Sep, 2011 4:32 pm

yeah hard to figure that one out!....I personally didn't like it...Sheens put that move away for the rest of the year!

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Sun 04 Sep, 2011 4:57 pm

It's funny how things never change, I was watching an old Canberra v Balmain game recently and Sheens was playing one of the Walters boys at fullback (cant remember which one) and a prop in the centres!

It didn't work that day!

Seriously though aside from McKinnon's experience surely we would be better off just replacing a prop with a prop?

I know Begavich is still raw but giving him 10-15 minutes would be alright wouldn't it?

cunno

Post by cunno » Sun 04 Sep, 2011 5:43 pm

Sheens may have seen the game as an opportunity toi expose some players to different positions in case it is needed in the semis?? Don't really know just trying to put a take on it. Maybe is saw it as a why of keeping Cronulla guessing or a way of making the wests Tigers work harder one thing is for sure his approach is varied and not boring...

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 04 Sep, 2011 5:48 pm

Its funny how sides often lose some momentum when a major reshuffle occurs.......doesnt stop Sheens though
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

alien

Post by alien » Sun 04 Sep, 2011 7:50 pm

We had Murdoch and Woods on the interchange and they can both play prop.

gold on black

Post by gold on black » Mon 05 Sep, 2011 9:39 am

It wont happen next week
not if payto sauce gibbs groat and woods are all in the side

stryker

Post by stryker » Mon 05 Sep, 2011 8:09 pm

He likes doing things the hard way sometimes.

Got away with it...just.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 05 Sep, 2011 9:09 pm

cunno wrote:Sheens may have seen the game as an opportunity toi expose some players to different positions in case it is needed in the semis?? Don't really know just trying to put a take on it. Maybe is saw it as a why of keeping Cronulla guessing or a way of making the wests Tigers work harder one thing is for sure his approach is varied and not boring...
I agree, just testing out some combos in case of injury. It didn't last the whole game, he subbed Ayshford for Gibbs at the end.

Same as when he pulled Benji against Titans and we played 15 with Moltzen/Lui halves.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Mon 05 Sep, 2011 9:19 pm

jirskyr, I think there's a bit of a difference between re-shuffling half the team to accomodate McKinnon in a pretty tight game and giving Marshall an early night when we're up by a fair bit against the team running last.
Last edited by VanillaThunder on Mon 05 Sep, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 05 Sep, 2011 9:20 pm

jirskyr wrote:
cunno wrote:Sheens may have seen the game as an opportunity toi expose some players to different positions in case it is needed in the semis?? Don't really know just trying to put a take on it. Maybe is saw it as a why of keeping Cronulla guessing or a way of making the wests Tigers work harder one thing is for sure his approach is varied and not boring...
I agree, just testing out some combos in case of injury. It didn't last the whole game, he subbed Ayshford for Gibbs at the end.

Same as when he pulled Benji against Titans and we played 15 with Moltzen/Lui halves.
Through necessity rather than choice there

Drewby

Post by Drewby » Tue 06 Sep, 2011 9:00 am

To quote sherbet from after the titans game regarding ellis to front row, it could be a "sign of things to come"

and many people have been speculating on here that Ayshford might move to second row next year.

If we swap Reddy for Moltz, and Grant for Wade, we actually have a feasible new-look backline for next year... Maybe it was a 10 min trial?
KAPOW!