Bennett...The Traitor..

•  Recent Topics
Super League and Rugby League Abroad
Fade To Black

Re: Bennett...The Traitor..

Post by Fade To Black » Thu 04 Feb, 2016 7:30 pm

Unca Wayne won't make an iota of difference to the improvement of the Pommy Test team,they don't have the cattle that is anywhere near the standard of the Aus and NZ Test sides.
And when Unca Wayne doesn't have a plethora of elite players to work with he may just throw the towel in with the old 'I had lost the players' throwaway line like he did when he bailed out on Newcastle after a pitiful season.

TJL

Post by TJL » Thu 04 Feb, 2016 7:47 pm

At international level I don't think a coach has that much impact anyway. If players at that level need to be told how to play they shouldn't be there.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Thu 04 Feb, 2016 10:38 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:what do you think about all those aussies who represent other countries like samoa, png, england etc.?
That's different, it's ok when we do it. I get a laugh out of when we give it to England for half their team being South Africans. Hell, we're the kings of adopted athletes. Our greatest ever boxer is Russian for crying out loud.
i was asking FT if he reckons players like sue/simona who play for samoa do it for greed too.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 9:20 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:Wow sticking the boot into the bloke for chasing the dollars, particularly with disabled kids.

How many of you have taken job opportunities worth more money to provide?

Moreover it makes the international game stronger and less of a laughing stock. The Rugby League World Cup might actually mean something if the Poms and NZ routinely challenge the Aussies.

If he resurrects the Poms, I'd like to see him mentor the Kumuls, Samoa or Tonga.
Lol, I agree CB... The game needs more Wayne Bennett clones. Definitely. ;)

Goose

Post by Goose » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 9:50 am

Tigermama wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:Wow sticking the boot into the bloke for chasing the dollars, particularly with disabled kids.

Moreover it makes the international game stronger and less of a laughing stock. The Rugby League World Cup might actually mean something if the Poms and NZ routinely challenge the Aussies.

If he resurrects the Poms, I'd like to see him mentor the Kumuls, Samoa or Tonga.
I dont know about that.

Wayne is a terrific coach (who I think has been assisted by circumstances, but hey, that is life) but he is not the messiah, like most of us he has his share of vices and he wouldnt be who Id like to model myself on.
He also has some good points.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 9:52 am

Look I don't have a hard on for Bennett, I just can't see how him assisting England would hurt the international game. If he's getting paid good money to do so who cares? The ends justify the means in professional sport, well at least in this case IMO.

Share of vices Goose? What are you getting at there?
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Goose

Post by Goose » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 10:09 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:Look I don't have a hard on for Bennett, I just can't see how him assisting England would hurt the international game. If he's getting paid good money to do so who cares? The ends justify the means in professional sport, well at least in this case IMO.

I was more referring to him being cloned (Tiger mama comment)

I have no drama him coaching the poms, good on him for that, I dont like him or anyone else proclaiming it for the good of the game, but that seems to be the way of professional sportsman.

As for his vices he is a ruthless SOB, bordering on vindictive to those he clashes with (even mildly)

He has a habit of laying the boot in to prove he has made the right decision a lot and has a degree of selfishness about him that I don't find endearing.

I wish I could share some anecdotes, but not appropriate to do so on such a public forum, given that he would be super easy to work out who I was talking about.

Probably why he is successful, but he is far from my favourite person.

All that said, to his inner sanctum he will do anything for them. Like most people it is never black and white and all shades of grey.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 10:16 am

Goose wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:Look I don't have a hard on for Bennett, I just can't see how him assisting England would hurt the international game. If he's getting paid good money to do so who cares? The ends justify the means in professional sport, well at least in this case IMO.

I have no drama him coaching the poms, good on him for that, I dont like him or anyone else proclaiming it for the good of the game, but that seems to be the way of professional sportsman.

As for his vices he is a ruthless SOB, bordering on vindictive to those he clashes with (even mildly)

He has a habit of laying the boot in to prove he has made the right decision a lot and has a degree of selfishness about him that I don't find endearing.

I wish I could share some anecdotes, but not appropriate to do so on such a public forum, given that he would be super easy to work out who I was talking about.

All that said, to his inner sanctum he will do anything for them. Like most people it is never black and white and all shades of grey.
Thats a pretty good summation Goose. :lol:

I too have fell foul of Mr Bennett many many years ago, but as time has gone by I have learnt to respect the good things he does for RL.

He even says "hello" to me now when Im sitting at the same table at events/functions etc... Its only been 25 years?!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 10:31 am

Goose wrote:

Oh OK, fair enough mate :)

I don't think he's doing out of the kindness of his heart, as I said if English League improves internationally the ends justify the means IMO.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 10:31 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Goose wrote:

I too have fell foul of Mr Bennett many many years ago, but as time has gone by I have learnt to respect the good things he does for RL.

He even says "hello" to me now when Im sitting at the same table at events/functions etc... Its only been 25 years?!
He ran you out of the Broncos development system, didn't he?
#penaltyTigers

Goose

Post by Goose » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 10:47 am

Watto at least you are in good company.....even kicked out the King!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 2:34 pm

If it makes for a stronger international game, whose it going to hurt? As I said earlier he's an easy man to hate for some, so it doesn't surprise you the pettiness that people will resort to to show how upset they are, like it somehow affects their lives.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 2:36 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
Goose wrote:

I'll take "What is name dropping?" for 300 Alex.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 2:49 pm

You can't pick $300 in Jeopardy Gunners ;)
#penaltyTigers

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 9:59 pm

Goose wrote:
Tigermama wrote:

I dont know about that.

Wayne is a terrific coach (who I think has been assisted by circumstances, but hey, that is life) but he is not the messiah, like most of us he has his share of vices and he wouldnt be who Id like to model myself on.
He also has some good points.
I don't know him personally, so I can't comment on his character Goose.
But I would love a Wayne clone to coach the WT....

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 10:40 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:what do you think about all those aussies who represent other countries like samoa, png, england etc.?
That's different, it's ok when we do it. I get a laugh out of when we give it to England for half their team being South Africans. Hell, we're the kings of adopted athletes. Our greatest ever boxer is Russian for crying out loud.
If Anthony Mundine ever reads your comment he'll be surprised to find out he's Russian.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sat 06 Feb, 2016 10:00 am

Nelson wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
If Anthony Mundine ever reads your comment he'll be surprised to find out he's Russian.
Good as Kostya was (and I loved him) Jeff Fenech is by far the best boxer this country has ever produced.
Mundine couldn't even be considered anywhere near the top - except by himself (which I think you were getting at lol)

Goose

Post by Goose » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 6:28 pm

I agree re fenech, the old timers always throw up Les Darcy and Lional Rose as well.