Pre Season training 2012

All First Grade related topics in regards to the off-season through to Season 2012
tiger91

Pre Season training 2012

Post by tiger91 » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 3:46 pm

I was at the Wests Tigers afternoon training session today and noticed some things that may be interesting to some forum members..

1. Brown and Tiquiri were no where to be seen. I can only assume Brown and would be at a rehab session, as I can't see a player such as Meaney (who was training) being ahead of Brown. However, Meaney did look to be one of the fitter players out of all the backs.

2. Tedesco looks to be in good shape as he was close to the front in all drills, keeping up with Marshall, Motzen, Meaney and Ryan who lead in every drill.

3. Aysford has definately put on more muscle, esspecialy upper body. And he trained freely without strapping or any obvious signs of injury, as was speculated in another thread.

4. Grant looks to be handling his transition well, as he didn't look out of place in any of the drills and his ball handling skills were up there with the rest of the backs.

5. Also, whilst the forwards were doing some wrestling exercises, I overheard Sheens mention to Andrew Leeds that he was surprised at how good Blairs wrestling is, saying "Blair is very good at knowing how to not move and conserving his energy where other players and opposition would expend it".

I hope you guys find this usefull. Going to the session today has got me very excited about the upcoming trials/season, bring on 2012!

Posted using RoarFEED

Novocastrian Tiger

Post by Novocastrian Tiger » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 3:56 pm

I cant wait for the season to start. Thanks for the info, getting down to Sydney to watch the training is a luxury I dont have, so thanks. GO THE TIGERS!!!!!
It starts and ends with the Tiger!

tigerlogic

Post by tigerlogic » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 3:57 pm

Great work, thanks for the update!
Il die if Sean meaney is ever in the team tho!
Brownie must be at rehab... How did reddy look?

Posted using RoarFEED

tiger91

Post by tiger91 » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 4:03 pm

No worries NT, hopefully I'll be able to get to a few more training sessions throughout the year and relay on some more info.

Hearing how impressed Sheens is with Blair though has really got me pumped for this year. Hopefully his knowledge, work ethic and experience pays dividends for us.

Posted using RoarFEED

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 4:08 pm

Someone mentioned about Rhino having a calf issue Did you see Rhino training as well ??Thanks for the feedback Tiger91

tiger91

Post by tiger91 » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 4:09 pm

Reddy looks to be pretty good shape, has put on abit of size from memory. However, when they took out the tackle bags, he did the same drills but without the tackle bag. He also mention to Leeds something about his back, but from what he said it is nothing serious and should just need the day off tomorrow. He showed no signs of pain or discomfort, do I wouldn't imagine it to be too serious, just precautionary measures.

Posted using RoarFEED

tiger91

Post by tiger91 » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 4:17 pm

No worries Happy. I did see him there, and yes, he was wearing a compression sleeve on his calf. He wasn't training with the rest of squad but looked to be really pushing himself with Sironen, running for the for the first 40 to 60 minutes around the grounds and through the stands.

I might say he looks every bit the 80 minute forward that he is, as he dis his training with minimal stoppages.

Posted using RoarFEED

willow

Post by willow » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks for the updates tiger91. Good to hear who is looking sharp and fit.

shadow

Post by shadow » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks for the report tiger1 was wondering Can anyone go down to training? And do they say anything to you or just let you watch ?

Posted using RoarFEED

tiger91

Post by tiger91 » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 5:39 pm

More than welcome for the info. From what I gathered anyone can watch. I showed up at concord and watch some kicking/catching drills for half an hour and then followed the team over to an oval next door to Concord (as the council doesn't like the team doing certain drills on the main ground) to watch some fitness drills with the backs and wrestling with the forwards. Me and my father were sitting fairly close to the action to (close enough to hear Sheens talking about Blair!).

Overall everyone down there looked in tip top shape too.

Posted using RoarFEED

tigerlogic

Post by tigerlogic » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 5:41 pm

Yes the groundskeeper of concord oval doesn't allow them doing that training there over summer, as been that way for atleast 7 years..
The oval u are referring to is st.lukes

Posted using RoarFEED

tiger91

Post by tiger91 » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks Tigerlogic. I wasn't sure what the name of the 2nd oval mention was but it's next to the school, just across the road from Concord Oval.

Posted using RoarFEED

cunno

Post by cunno » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 5:50 pm

Thanks for the update Tiger91, sounds like Tedesco is out to impress, well done to him and how did Grant's size and mobility compare to the other backs?

tiger91

Post by tiger91 » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 6:16 pm

As far as Grant's size is concerned, I think I saw him standing next to Ayshford and he would be around another inch taller than him.

As for his mobility, he didn't look out of place. He looks like a natural runner, not one of the tall, fast blokes with a poor/awkward running technique.

If anything, his fitness may be a little less than the rest of the backs, but that would to be expected, considering this is his first Pre season campaign. Honestly, if he keeps improving and maintains a good work ethic at training, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a call up to first grade if injury strikes.

Posted using RoarFEED

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 6:49 pm

good to hear, all very interesting.

You know what they say no club has ever had a bad offseason, they are always faster, fitter and stronger than ever before and all that stuff

black and white tiger

Post by black and white tiger » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 6:54 pm

Good update Tiger91,
Apart from Tedesco, Sirronen & Miller as youve already mention, was there any more of last years NYC boys training with the main squad, such as Koroibete, Simona and so on...?

Easy Tiger.

Post by Easy Tiger. » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 7:12 pm

So sironens training? Thought he just hap an op? Interesting & anyone know if lincoln port is still with us? Or is he to old for u/20s? He was the indiginous kid carrying the beer kid behind his head?
NO 1 QLD TIGERS SUPPORTER.....

Cos_Borg

Post by Cos_Borg » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 7:14 pm

Very cooool!