The No 1. in round 1

All First Grade related topics in regards to the off-season through to Season 2012
alexaki

Re: The No 1. in round 1

Post by alexaki » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 7:39 pm

alex wrote:This thread seems to be going under the assumption that Moltzen will be named at 7. I'm still hoping we see Moltzen at 1 with Miller at 7.

Keep hoping...Fonz has played his hand and made it clear Moltzen is our preferred #7

KingOvKingz09

Post by KingOvKingz09 » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 7:42 pm

alex wrote:This thread seems to be going under the assumption that Moltzen will be named at 7. I'm still hoping we see Moltzen at 1 with Miller at 7.

Im with you Alex. Moltzen was hitting good form at the back end of last season at FB. Then again in saying that, i havnt seen Tedesco play so i dont know how good he is ( judging by most npeoples comments on him, id like him to be #1 with Moltzen (having the more experience at HB with Marshall than anyone else at the club ) wearing the #7. Guess im gonna have to decide at the trial against Roosters. that will answer alot of questions.
Im back!! oh its true.... Its damn true!!!

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 7:51 pm

Timmy at 7 and give tedesco first crack starting with the trials

Blackandwhite

Post by Blackandwhite » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 8:37 pm

The 7 needs to control where the team is going on the field.
Moltzen is confident to call plays and he has the 1st grade experience and that's not a go at Miller, its just a fact Miller doesn't have the experience and he still is only a teenager.

Having worked out his 7 Sheens has settled on either Humble or Tedesco for 1. The fullback also needs to be a talker as well and Tedesco might be like Miller and a bit too quiet.

I don't think Humble is out of contention and he does have the 1st grade experience.

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 8:44 pm

Wood reddy be a chance of the 1 or would he be still under done

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 8:48 pm

I'm unsure where the reddy to number 1 all comes from. He has had very little experience there. Honestly, I would be moving Lawrence there and chuck reddy in centre before giving reddy such an integral position.

Reddy certainly would not be a long term option in 1.

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 8:52 pm

Reddy is fairly big , played fullback at parra and was noted for his strength and he would run hard at the opposition , fullbacks need all of this

Fraze23

Post by Fraze23 » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 8:55 pm

helmesy wrote:
Fraze23 wrote:Honesty won't lose you a match and brown is as honest as the day is long. Having said that honesty doesn't turn a game on its head either. Flair and attacking prowess does that. Which is what I think Tedesco will bring to the table. We need a game breaker wearing the 1 and given the opportunity I'd rate Tedesco as being able to give us more of an attacking edge from the back than Mitch Brown.
Look I don't want to feel like I'm putting Tedesco down and obviously there are heaps of people including the coach and CEO who believe he has a big future.

BUT he has only played a handful of U/20's - how many games have you guys honestly see him play in?

I don't think there's any rush to bring him in - you have to go the safer option of Brown/Reddy to start the season.

Also TigerSmurf yes BMM did make his debut in a semi, I would challenge however that there's much more scope for a young fullback to have a shocker and lose confidence (or a game) than a backrower.
I can see what you're saying Helmesy and its a very logical approach. Personally I believe it would be better for the kids confidence to throw him straight into the deep end, rather than having Sheens hold his hand and walk him into the side with 10 minute spells off the bench, by showing the club has faith in his ability. I think it'd be better for his development if we just let the kid play the game he has thats got him this far.
A few blokes before him have gone straight from SG Ball or school boys to First Grade, like Lawrence and Benji for example. They were rare talents, heres hoping Tedesco is the same.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 9:02 pm

andrew 474 wrote:Reddy is fairly big , played fullback at parra and was noted for his strength and he would run hard at the opposition , fullbacks need all of this
So does lawrence. But stronger, faster and knows benji much better.

That's what I mean. It would be better to have Lawrence in such an integral position in our spine, than just an above average centre.

ultimately I hope tedessco is there.

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 9:09 pm

Lawrence is pretty much the gunn centre in the comp , could not move him , nobody in our team can play there as well as him , tedesco i hope if he gets the start it is in the trials , opposition will want to give him a real welcome to top grade , and im not saying he cant do it yet , i just hope he is ready , i know he is very good

alex

Post by alex » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 9:16 pm

alexaki wrote:

Keep hoping...Fonz has played his hand and made it clear Moltzen is our preferred #7

Since when does anything from the media about our team selections ever have any weight to it? Remember the whole 'Chris Lawrence is the new Laurie Daley, let's move him to 6' thing was around? I don't think anything's set in stone and Sheens rarely shows his cards.

Rambo2714

Post by Rambo2714 » Mon 06 Feb, 2012 10:40 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/w ... 6250279413

The quotation marks , which follow the words " time Sheens said " means it is not a rumour but they are quoting exactly what Tim said .

And based on WHAT TIM SHEENS said , one should believe that Moltz will be the half back ...........

Posted using RoarFEED
Wests for life !

Rambo2714

Post by Rambo2714 » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 10:46 pm

So sheens was quoted to say that Mitch Brown will play fullback against the roosters ......

I wonder what that spells for tedesco ?

I think how Mitch plays in this match will decide who gets the guernsey cone round 1

Posted using RoarFEED
Wests for life !

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 10:51 pm

KingOvKingz09 wrote:

Im with you Alex. Moltzen was hitting good form at the back end of last season at FB. Then again in saying that, i havnt seen Tedesco play so i dont know how good he is ( judging by most npeoples comments on him, id like him to be #1 with Moltzen (having the more experience at HB with Marshall than anyone else at the club ) wearing the #7. Guess im gonna have to decide at the trial against Roosters. that will answer alot of questions.
I wonder what their thoughts are now?

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 1:54 am

Have heard that James Tedesco will be the fullback for the Foundation Cup v Roosters

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 6:53 am

http://www.nrl.com/sheens-undecided-ove ... fault.aspx

Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens is refusing to confirm young sensation James Tedesco will be his fullback for the NRL season opener but, either way, it appears Tim Moltzen's days in the No.1 are over.

Moltzen starred alongside five-eighth Benji Marshall in Saturday night's 20-12 trial win over Parramatta, the performance erasing any doubt Sheens would have had about the utility finding a home at halfback.

But while the halves are in order, there's still plenty of question marks over who will take Moltzen's place at the back, with Tedesco overcoming a nervous start in which he fumbled with his first two touches in his own in-goal to put in a solid effort.

Former Parramatta utility Tom Humble also spent some time at fullback, while another ex-Eel in Joel Reddy and Mitch Brown could also be an option for round one against Cronulla at Leichhardt.

"He took one in the air and took a knock, and then he got a knee in the mouth, so he had a tough night for the first half," Sheens said of Tedesco.

"He's sharp, but there's a long way to go yet before we're talking about maybe our No.1 fullback.

"But he certainly showed plenty of enthusiasm, good speed.

"Tommy went well there too, Brown will be playing next week as well - I'll just still experiment with that in the short term."

Asked whether Tedesco was favourite to snare a start for round one, Sheens said: "I'm not making the decision on that just at this stage - I'm not saying I'm not (going to pick him), but I'm not going to make a statement about whether he will or won't."

"There's another trial next week, a couple of weeks training, lots of things can happen - I need to have a real good look at the whole thing before I make a decision."

Sheens said he was pleased with the work of his halves, particularly in the first half when they laid on three of the Tigers' four tries.

"They're quick ... they'd be the quickest halves I think in the (competition) as a pair," he said of Marshall and Moltzen.

"I was pretty happy with them."

Sheens also confirmed skipper Robbie Farah and centre Chris Lawrence would play in his side's final trial against Sydney Roosters at Campbelltown on Saturday night.

willow

Post by willow » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 11:50 am

Rambo2714 wrote:So sheens was quoted to say that Mitch Brown will play fullback against the roosters ......

I wonder what that spells for tedesco ?

I think how Mitch plays in this match will decide who gets the guernsey cone round 1

Posted using RoarFEED
You need to learn to read between the lines. He will play some of the match at fullback. Others like Tedesco will also get a go again.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 4:38 pm

Rambo, Brown is no chance. Time to give up the ghost