ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Saturday 7 Feb, 7:30pm
Venue: Blue Tongue Stadium
Telecast: None
Rambo2714

Tedesco out of 10

Post by Rambo2714 » Sat 11 Feb, 2012 11:44 pm

Hi Forum ,

As the fullback spot is up for grabs , and Tedesco is the focus of a lot of interest . I was wondering if those who seen the game can give his performance a score out of 10 and a brief review of his performance ? Also do the same for anyone else who played fullback during the match ?

Posted using RoarFEED
Wests for life !

Montague Street

Post by Montague Street » Sat 11 Feb, 2012 11:47 pm

Tedesco = 7 out of 10

Posted using RoarFEED
Rugby League: The Game They Play in Hell

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Sat 11 Feb, 2012 11:50 pm

6/10. Made some mistakes, but flashes of brilliance.

I can say that from what I saw, he is our long term option. He'll make mistakes because he is still young, but I certainly think he should be number 1 and we should make sure to stick with him.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 12:05 am

7/10. Only two mistakes and none of them resulted in points conceded.

Is clearly our best option.

Posted using RoarFEED

black and white tiger

Post by black and white tiger » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 12:11 am

7/10
He's a tough kid, he took a few heavy knocks during the game.
He does return the ball at Pace and chimes into the backline well.
He appears to be good under the high ball.
Does not wait for it to bounce, and will go in to contest it. Most of the time he came out in front tonight.
His only blemish on his game tonight that I saw was he had a bit trouble with the balls on the ground, but to be far any full back would of had trouble picking the up.
Humble came on in the second half and didn't go to bad himself.
He has a bit of a step and speed. He only had a short stint there and then went to 5/8 and replaced Benji.

Diver

Post by Diver » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 12:17 am

8/10 He is not scared of any high ball or running flat out, straight into the defence - which i like! The way he leaps above everyone else under high ball was impressive. I think he got creamed in a few tackles and was a bit slow to his feet which is all a learning curve. Im a mitch brown fan and would be stocked to see mitch get the gig, but tedesco certainly impressed me.

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 12:33 am

theres been a lot of hype about this kid, so i am really eager to see him (dont get to any games unfortunately). he sounds great, particularly with the impressive first start! nothing i love better in league than a great fullback...okay, maybe got carried away, but i am a former player in that position, so obviously think it is the most important.. ;)

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 12:39 am

7 is probably a fair mark but given it was his first outing of the year and he was starting a game for the first time in top grade it was a pretty damn good performance. Made some errors early on but settled into the game pretty well. Put it this way - he did not look out of his depth and he will improve over the year. He is a very exciting player.

tigerlogic

Post by tigerlogic » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 9:02 am

Best option for sure, got up high to catch bombs, ran the ball back with pace, very impressive despite two fumbles!
Can't wait to watch him again next week

Posted using RoarFEED

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 9:08 am

It's there, he has the skill but he just needs more time - personally I would give him a bit more time before throwing him into the top grade.

I really don't see what the rush is, the fumbles were pretty bad and we don't want to ruin his confidence.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 9:38 am

helmesy wrote:It's there, he has the skill but he just needs more time - personally I would give him a bit more time before throwing him into the top grade.

I really don't see what the rush is, the fumbles were pretty bad and we don't want to ruin his confidence.
I'm guessing with the other clubs circling, him getting a run in 1sts could have been one of the conditions of his signing?

I think his confidence will be ok as long as he knows that he isn't going to lose the job when he might have a few nervous fumbles. He certainly doesn't lack confidence taking the high ball!

I certainly think we pick him and stick with him for the next 3 years. Humble played well, but would only ever be a stop gap solution until tedescco matures.

shadow

Post by shadow » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 9:51 am

I would give him a 8/10
He did everything right , he was talking alot and organizing from the back , backed up through the middle , safe under the high ball , copped a few heavy Knocks but shook them off pretty well I thought
He did have a shaky start , but this would be nervs , but settled down well, didn't look outa place
He be better for the run ,be good to se how he goes next week , now he knows what FG is like

Posted using RoarFEED

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 9:57 am

If he plays like he did last night next week he will be hard to keep out of 1st grade @ the start of the comp, but Sheens might still go with Brown or Humble.

shadow

Post by shadow » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 10:29 am

tigerbenji wrote:If he plays like he did last night next week he will be hard to keep out of 1st grade @ the start of the comp, but Sheens might still go with Brown or Humble.
Im a massive teddy fan, but i tend to agree, although teddy showed he can handle the step up , there are a few more guys with a little more experience in FG like brown and humble , sheens my use him up and down to cover injuries and then back to NYC , and then start him in 2013.

but you never know with sheens , I would still love to see him run out at liechardt with the 1 on his back

cunno

Post by cunno » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 10:44 am

Well these assessments look favourable for Ted, although it is acknowledged that it was only a trial game. Sheens quoting an old saying, has said that having a good fullback is like having 14 men on the field, a poor one is like having 12. Sheens is looking for the player who can give what is like having 14 men on the field and this is why he might give Ted more than just an opportunity here and there. He is aware of Brown's capabilities and hasn't put him into fullback to set him up for the year and I'm guessing sheens has a good picture of what Humble can do. It looks to me like Sheens is looking for, dear I say it, an X factor to give him the fullback he wants and it will be interesting to see how many more selections Ted gets as to whether my comment is on the mark or not. Of course form will also be a major factor however being selected shows where the coach is heading to a degree.

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 11:17 am

6/10.

Teddy tried to do everything at speed last night, possibly under instructions.

The offseason with the NRL team has seen Teddy double in size in the last 12 months. He is coming to terms with his new body size. He made some mistakes but you can see, if given the opportunity, he will be an absolute quality fullback.

The press cited Billy SLATER as a comparison, and I can see why, but I would say more so Josh DUGAN.

I was sitting head on to the action last night, and one issue which was a bit unusual, was Teddy finding it difficult to hit hard down our middle as a potential recipient of an inside pass move. We had players bunched behind our halves which impeded DUGANS (Oops), I mean Teddy's running line. It clearly frustrated him, but you would think this bunching would not occur in a real game and once a better combination develops, the running line will be set and will be clear for him.

He was nervous last night, but he was very good for his first hit out. What I liked about Teddy was defensive at his line, he met attacking players low at ground level, which is very SLATEResque to a degree. MOLZTEN at fullback is the total opposite as he stands and watches players attack the tryline at ground level which is shocking technique.

Mitch Brown is a better player and a better option for fullback in round one. But Teddy, if given a solid opportunity at the get go, will be better than Brown come about round ten.

As a further comparison, he is not quite as dynamic as say, Lachlan COOTE or Michael GORDON from the Panthers, but he needs to be given an opportunity to develope the onfield familiarity with the play makers and once this happens, LOOK OUT !!!
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

steven_tiger

Post by steven_tiger » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 11:33 am

Did anyone out read the thread title as saying, "Tedesco out for 10" ? As in, out for 10 weeks?

Blackandwhite

Post by Blackandwhite » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 11:53 am

Good to hear from all reports sounds like he handled things OK looking forward to seeing him at Campbelltown next week.
hammertime wrote:I'm guessing with the other clubs circling, him getting a run in 1sts could have been one of the conditions of his signing?
I think like Sheens said it was a reward for a very good off season and obviously to see if he could handle the step up. Sheens had him penciled in quite a while ago letting Mullaney go and in giving Moltzen approval to negotiate elsewhere.
shadow wrote:He did have a shaky start , but this would be nervs ,Posted using RoarFEED
Did the same thing in his first game in NYC, dropped the ball on his first touch slipped over and looked nervous.
Next 2 games against Grand finalists Warriors and Cowboys he was Man of the match.
Balmain Bug wrote:6/10.Teddy tried to do everything at speed last night, possibly under instructions.
Having watched him for quite a while that is how he has always played. Excellent news about his high ball takes and good to hear his improved his talk.He can only get better and once things settle down he will be scoring plenty of tries backing up the middle.