Venue: Campbelltown Stadium
Telecast: None
joe's magpies

TAKING THE FIELD EASES THE PAIN FOR ROBBIE FARAH

Post by joe's magpies » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 12:53 pm

TAKING THE FIELD EASES THE PAIN FOR ROBBIE FARAH
Story/photo by Wayne Cousins
17/02/2012 10:58:20 AM
Sitting on the sidelines is not the idea of fun for Wests Tigers Captain Robbie Farah.

Quite simply, it is painful. A fierce competitor, Farah did it the hard way at Bluetongue Stadium last Saturday night as he watched his team-mates slice up Parramatta Eels in the side’s first pre-season trial.

He may have been sitting 10 metres away from the sideline but Farah read every play and felt every hit. And in between, he shared a few laughs with his ‘little mate’ in inspirational Wests Tigers supporter Lleyton Giles – a guest of Farah’s in the players’ enclosure.

Having undergone surgery following the Four Nations tour to fix his groins, Farah has worked hard on his fitness under Wests Tigers NRL Rehabilitation Manager Andrew Leeds. He is now ‘itching’ to lead his beloved team onto Campbelltown Sports Stadium against the Sydney Roosters in the annual Foundation Cup trial match tomorrow night.

BUY TICKETS TO FOUNDATION CUP

The two premiership points might not be on offer but the clash against one of their arch-rivals is very important for Wests Tigers as they look to fine tune their game before taking on Cronulla Sharks at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday, March 4.

“I know we are playing for the Foundation Cup but I guess the result takes a bit of a back seat as we are just looking for a good performance heading into round one,’’ Farah said.

“I thought we were pretty slick in the first half against against Parramatta. The boys trained hard in the off-season and it was good to see them go out there and put in a real polished performance in the first half.

“The second half fell away a bit when Tim Sheens made a few changes and gave the young guys a go but it was pleasing overall.”

Farah said he was looking forward to working with the exciting halves combination of Benji Marshall and Tim Moltzen.

“Tim understands our game well. He and Benji are probably the two best talkers in the team and that’s what you need in your halves to boss the boys around the park and I thought they did that well last week,’’ Farah added.

“They understand each other’s games and hopefully with myself slotting in, it does make it a pretty potent combination.

“Our short term goal is to start the season well. Last year we didn’t start as well as we would have liked and we chased our tail in the end. Luckily enough for us, we came home strong.

“This year our goal is to start well and put ourselves into a good position coming into the back end of the year.”

Match Day schedule
11.45am: Gates open
12pm: Rd 2 Harold Matthews Cup: Western Suburbs Magpies v Manly Sea Eagles
1.30PM: Rd 2 SG Ball Cup: Western Suburbs Magpies v Manly Sea Eagles
3.30pm: NSW Cup trial: Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers v Newtown Jets
5.15pm: NYC trial: Wests Tigers v Sydney Roosters.
7.30pm: Foundation Cup trial: Wests Tigers v Sydney Roosters.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 4:59 pm

i hope farah has learnt from last years semi final mistakes and becomes a better player and captain this season, his gain, afterall is our gain.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 6:51 pm

I think he is starting to sound a little less egotistical. I'm starting to like the more relaxed Captain Farah.

A leader needs to be about his teammates, not about himself.

cunno

Post by cunno » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 7:13 pm

A good full schedule of football set down for tomorrow, looking forward to it (as long as we don't get another storm like today) and I'm also looking forward to seeing Robbie and the rest of the players back in action again. Dropping out of the last couple of finals series would surely be a strong learning experience for the club and will make them more focused and determined.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 8:03 pm

Gawd im sick of this Farah hating rubbish.

He has been the glue that has held this team together for years,often playing on one bloody leg.

Robbie is an absolute champ and our captain.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 8:16 pm

I think Robbie I get a mental image of match winning trys and him punching watts lights out
Pleasant thoughts

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Defiant » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 8:57 pm

So good,

Yes Robbie carried us from 2006 to 2009.

tigersrule4life

Post by tigersrule4life » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 9:59 pm

Go Robbie Farah best caption and best hooker cant wait for 2moro untill he shows us how important he is to the team go u tigers.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 10:53 pm

joe's magpies wrote: Having undergone surgery following the Four Nations tour to fix his groins
How many has he got?

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 18 Feb, 2012 1:10 am

Probably 2 mate. Like the rest of us.

glebe_tiger

Post by glebe_tiger » Sat 18 Feb, 2012 1:13 am

did robbie have issues with both or only on one side?

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Sat 18 Feb, 2012 7:56 am

innsaneink wrote:I think Robbie I get a mental image of match winning trys and him punching watts lights out
Pleasant thoughts
since that I've noticed not too many oppostion players get into a one on one fight with him. :D
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

cunno

Post by cunno » Sat 18 Feb, 2012 8:00 am

simonthetiger wrote:Gawd im sick of this Farah hating rubbish.

He has been the glue that has held this team together for years,often playing on one bloody leg.

Robbie is an absolute champ and our captain.
Can't add to that :sign: :righton:

21sixers

Post by 21sixers » Sat 18 Feb, 2012 8:19 am

jirskyr wrote:
joe's magpies wrote: Having undergone surgery following the Four Nations tour to fix his groins
How many has he got?
and hes itching :roll
blood sweat and ...beers

Cos_Borg

Post by Cos_Borg » Sat 18 Feb, 2012 10:25 am

An itchy groin?