Very small crowd at Campbelltown tonight.

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Saturday 14 Feb, 7:30pm
Venue: Campbelltown Stadium
Telecast: None
happy tiger

Re: Very small crowd at Campbelltown tonight.

Post by happy tiger » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 9:33 am

Does anyone know how many fans showed up to last years Foundation Cup game ?? Be nice to see the comparison

tigerkaz

Post by tigerkaz » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 9:39 am

I went to the Bulldog/ Raiders game in wagga last night. While the venue was not up to scatch, the place was packed. Mcdonalds Park only seats about 5000 but there were lots of people there, like me who didn't follow either team but wanted to see some NRL out in the country. I believe that all trial games should be out in the bush as we are starved for footy out this way and if you slack arse so called locals can't be stuffed to go and support your team then give the game to the country where the people will come and support the game no matter who's playing.

mtd

Post by mtd » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 9:42 am

diedpretty wrote:
mtd wrote:because i dont want to drive to campbelltown and have the hubcaps stolen from my car.. id prefer watch the dragons v souths game on tv...

it may be their job to capture the audience, but its still up to people to go out to the game. stop blaming others. what are you doing to rally up tigers supporters huh? i mean as a supporter its also your job to help support your team, therefore getting as many other supporters to the game too! how many people did YOU take with you tonight??
and there it is - another latte drinking snob supporter who can't find his way out of leichhardt - i think its time we stopped putting the boot in to other supporters who don't travel
i don't drink lattes... it takes me 2 hrs to get to campbelltown - a 4 hour round trip. i love the tigers, but they aren't my life. if it was a semi final or something, ofcourse its different.. but this was a trial match.... TRIAL MATCH...

personally i think this judgement being placed on us that don't go to campbelltown is childish... it's indirectly suggesting that we aren't real supporters.... it's incorrect.

p.s. people please stop comparing campbelltown crowds vs games in areas such as hobart, WA, wagga wagga... these people are DESPERATE for some footy action... ofcourse they are going to get good crowds to trials.. if the tigers NEVER played at campbelltown, you would have had 10,000 + at that game.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 9:45 am

happy tiger wrote:Does anyone know how many fans showed up to last years Foundation Cup game ?? Be nice to see the comparison
Lui set up two tries, scored one himself, and kicked a field goal in the 19-8 victory over the Sydney Roosters in front of a crowd of 6893.
http://www.weststigers.com.au/default.a ... dation-cup
7426-
6893=

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 9:48 am

mtd wrote:
diedpretty wrote:
mtd wrote:because i dont want to drive to campbelltown and have the hubcaps stolen from my car.. id prefer watch the dragons v souths game on tv...

it may be their job to capture the audience, but its still up to people to go out to the game. stop blaming others. what are you doing to rally up tigers supporters huh? i mean as a supporter its also your job to help support your team, therefore getting as many other supporters to the game too! how many people did YOU take with you tonight??
and there it is - another latte drinking snob supporter who can't find his way out of leichhardt - i think its time we stopped putting the boot in to other supporters who don't travel
i don't drink lattes... it takes me 2 hrs to get to campbelltown - a 4 hour round trip. i love the tigers, but they aren't my life. if it was a semi final or something, ofcourse its different.. but this was a trial match.... TRIAL MATCH...

personally i think this judgement being placed on us that don't go to campbelltown is childish... it's indirectly suggesting that we aren't real supporters.... it's incorrect.

p.s. people please stop comparing campbelltown crowds vs games in areas such as hobart, WA, wagga wagga... these people are DESPERATE for some footy action... ofcourse they are going to get good crowds to trials.. if the tigers NEVER played at campbelltown, you would have had 10,000 + at that game.
The ''childish'' comment is ironic
because i dont want to drive to campbelltown and have the hubcaps stolen from my car.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 9:59 am

innsaneink wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Does anyone know how many fans showed up to last years Foundation Cup game ?? Be nice to see the comparison
Lui set up two tries, scored one himself, and kicked a field goal in the 19-8 victory over the Sydney Roosters in front of a crowd of 6893.
7426-
6893=
Well there you go I didn't expect that

Maybe we need to take the games to regional country areas (Gladstone ,Rockhampton ,Bundaberg or Yeppoon) in regional Qld

Well anywhere within a two hour trip of Happy would be good

Good for the future of the Tigers to try and get more fans outside of Sydney

Post by 2041 » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 10:00 am

tiger91 wrote:GNR, I accept that there are die hards from both Wests and Balmain, and I never wanted to come across as "anti Balmain".

For whatever reason there were people that decided to stay home and that's fine, but then you get the small number of people who stay home when they could be at the game then take a stab at the numbers and toss in the "lowlife Campbelltown" lines - and I doubt it's old Magpie fans trash talking their home ground.

You only need to look as far as the "Favourite Campbelltown Moment" to see this too. Not long after the thread started, your reading comments saying someone's favourite moment is "Leaving the area" and "Finding my hubcaps still on my car after the game". As I said, I doubt the old Magpie faithful are trash talking their home ground.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
The sooner all this "hubcaps stolen"/"latte sipping" BS is a thing of the past the happier I'll be. Why on earth do supporters of our club want to fuel these divisions? I don't expect to be best mates with everyone who supports my team but I'd rather emphasise what we've got in common that what divides us.

Personally I don't get out to C-town as often as I'd like - maybe one or two games a year, even though in the past couple of years I've been to away games in Canberra, Central Coast, Gold Coast, Auckland, Penrith and Cronulla. It has to be said that C-town is the most painful trip from the city of all the greater Sydney venues, and even less fun to get back from (I like a beer at the game and maybe a couple afterwards as well so I don't drive to games if I can help it). Friday and Monday games are close to impossible, and Sundays are dicey during my soccer season - if I'm lucky I can play Sunday and still make Leichhardt or the SFS, but C-town is too much of a trek for the timing to work. No special point here, just explaining that it's possible to be committed to going to games and still struggle with the other end of geography.

Oddly, although I don't think he does himself any favours with the continual anti-club administration rhetoric I can see some logic in what Bug says. Obviously I don't live in the region but if it's not going on I think the club is missing a trick by not branding the area. If you drive through Alexandria/Redfern etc most of the pubs have those "This is South Sydney" banners (or at least they did for a long time) and it does make you aware of where you are and whose catchment it is. It certainly can't do any harm to try the same kind of thing.

That said, some of it has to come from the community itself. In the Rozelle/Balmain/Lilyfield/Leichhardt area you can tell you're in Tigers territory because so many of the shops and businesses have memorabilia on display - that's not the club, it's punters. Perhaps the club could give out some freebies to pubs and shops in the south west region?

black and white tiger

Post by black and white tiger » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 10:18 am

innsaneink wrote:
7426-
6893=
Well done Happy and Ink,
good to see some people thinking.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 10:35 am

Firstly I agree with Galahs when he says that trials should be played in the country areas and not the metro areas.

Secondly I like to consider myself a pretty passionate supporter but I only confirmed last minute to go to the trial as it was a really beautiful day and I was much bemoan to move from my activities. I only went as I was yet to see a trial game this season and wanted to see a ht out before the season starts. People who just wanted a league fix would have stayed home and watched the Charity Shield.

Third it was only a trial. Of course the Central Coast trial was higher. They see stuff all football live all season so they take advantage of their opportunities.

Finally on the topic of membership numbers. We have ALWAYS had soft numbers and these have translated into great attendance throughout the year so although I understand the push I hold no real credence in the figures as indication of fan base size/season attendance

mtd

Post by mtd » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 10:49 am

innsaneink wrote:
mtd wrote:
diedpretty wrote:

The ''childish'' comment is ironic
because i dont want to drive to campbelltown and have the hubcaps stolen from my car.
i went once and my hubcaps were stolen?? hardly childish (on my behalf)... but i appreciate you choosing to try and shut me down rather than acknowledge or comment on the content i have provided in my posts.

gazza

Post by gazza » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 10:58 am

I love this place.
7 pages of dribble about a TRIAL game on a Saturday night.
Cant wait to see what some of you come up with when the season proper begins.
cheers

Staks

Post by Staks » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 11:51 am

Geez what a over reaction :lol: It's a trial for F-sake :wtf

Wests Tigers have the biggest band wagon supporters in the NRL. Why are people so surprised at the turn out for a trial game. Most won't start turning up to games until about round 15 and then tell everyone they are staunch fans and have supported the club since 1969!!

Heck the facebook page has close to 70k members yet less than 10% of those are members.

Get over it you jibberers.

:sign:
Wests Tigers -- YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE -- Wests since 1908

Wests - the only team name to feature in every NSWRL/ARL/NRL season since 1908

Big_Al

Post by Big_Al » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 11:51 am

I went to the game last night and was pleasantly surprised by the turnout for a trial match. My only criticism was the pricing. $20 Adult and $10 Child was riduculous for a trial match. The fact 7000+ still turned up is terrific in my view.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 11:58 am

6800 last year at SFS
8900 at Penrith Fri nite
7400 odd last nite for us

Looks to me like an average crowd for the quality of game at this time of year..

Big Al...you could get adult 15 and kids 7.50...cheap as

sorry to hear about your hubcaps MTD...but really, who does this?
Do you drive an EH?

Staks

Post by Staks » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 12:01 pm

SO huncaps are only stolen in the Macarthur district?
Wests Tigers -- YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE -- Wests since 1908

Wests - the only team name to feature in every NSWRL/ARL/NRL season since 1908

Big_Al

Post by Big_Al » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 12:04 pm

innsaneink wrote:6800 last year at SFS
8900 at Penrith Fri nite
7400 odd last nite for us

Looks to me like an average crowd for the quality of game at this time of year..

Big Al...you could get adult 15 and kids 7.50...cheap as

sorry to hear about your hubcaps MTD...but really, who does this?
Do you drive an EH?
At the gate they were $20 and $10... I assume those cheaper prices were pre-purchase??

I've lived in Campbelltown for 43 years and have never once had my hubcaps stolen. Having Alloys tends to help with that I guess. ;)

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 12:33 pm

Staks wrote:SO huncaps are only stolen in the Macarthur district?
Need to get some fully sick chromeys :)

That or there is a guy just off the Cooranbong turn off on the Newcastle Freeway who has hundreds of hubcaps for sale

Mothermagpie

Post by Mothermagpie » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 12:55 pm

Big_Al wrote:I went to the game last night and was pleasantly surprised by the turnout for a trial match. My only criticism was the pricing. $20 Adult and $10 Child was riduculous for a trial match. The fact 7000+ still turned up is terrific in my view.
This whinging Magpie supporter was at the game also, I agree the Trial matches used to cost next to nothing once!
To take a family to a trial match is just too much out of a family budget these days. The numbers will be larger for the real deal!