A quick question

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Sunday 1 April 3:00PM
Venue: SCG
Telecast: Ch9 Delay
tigertye

A quick question

Post by tigertye » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 9:33 pm

Do referees have to verbally call for a player who is offside to not get in the play to award a penalty or can they just wait until it happens without a warning?

Noticed in the replay there was penalty for offside in our 20 right on the 7 minute mark.

Benji asked Hayne, "did you call his name", Hayne replied "I don't have to, I can't call it all the time. When I can and when I have the time I will."

I understand they've got a bloody tough gig, but after 7 mins they should be able to yell at a player to pull out due to being offside and give a player the chance to avoid an accidental penalty.

I just find all these silly penalties could slowly be wiped from the game if a decent warning was given more often.

I'm not trying to put a blame on refs, I just find penalties like that frustrating and could be avoided with some of the refs giving an early warning where possible.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 9:36 pm

tigertye wrote:Do referees have to verbally call for a player who is offside to not get in the play to award a penalty or can they just wait until it happens without a warning?

Noticed in the replay there was penalty for offside in our 20 right on the 7 minute mark.

Benji asked Hayne, "did you call his name", Hayne replied "I don't have to, I can't call it all the time. When I can and when I have the time I will."

I understand they've got a bloody tough gig, but after 7 mins they should be able to yell at a player to pull out due to being offside and give a player the chance to avoid an accidental penalty.

I just find all these silly penalties could slowly be wiped from the game if a decent warning was given more often.

I'm not trying to put a blame on refs, I just find penalties like that frustrating and could be avoided with some of the refs giving an early warning where possible.

Sorry mate that is ridiculous. Players need to play within the rules; it cant come down to 'calls' by the referees,

Last edited by PYMBLEPETE on Sun 01 Apr, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 9:39 pm

Nothing worse than a player being called off, he stays out yet an attacker runs 70m downfield.
Better to concede a penalty
Thjey call players because it is now a TV product

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 9:43 pm

Agree Ink .... Depends what part of the field of course.

tigertye

Post by tigertye » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 9:54 pm

innsaneink wrote:Nothing worse than a player being called off, he stays out yet an attacker runs 70m downfield.
Better to concede a penalty
Thjey call players because it is now a TV product
I agree Ink. Yet all I'm saying is should refs make more of an attempt to call a player off. This would give the player the OPTION to pull out or let the bloke next to him make the hit, avoiding unnecessary penalties. Obviously if they feel they are the best option they make the tackle and cop a penalty.

I asked the question because Hayne did not call Heighno off, other blokes where around who could have made the tackle. But he unintentionally gave away a penalty as he may not have realized he was offside. Its one of those small things that could have been prevented if perhaps he was called off and given that option.

saundo1982

Post by saundo1982 » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 10:49 pm

I see where your coming from here, surely if they can call it once then there compelled to give both sides the same opertunity to avoid the penalty. You either call out the offside player or don't u should be able to pick n choose. If multiple players are offside blow the penalty straight out. It would seem unfair in one set call a particular player offside giving him chance to avoid being penalized yet in the next set with the other team defending decide you are unable, don't want or whatever the reason is call him out and allow him to be penalized.

farmduck

Post by farmduck » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 11:08 pm

Its a fundamental principle of any sport that it is the responsibility of the players to abide by the rules. A referee shouldn't need to explain the rules of the game to the players every 5 minutes.

saundo1982

Post by saundo1982 » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 4:35 am

farmduck wrote:Its a fundamental principle of any sport that it is the responsibility of the players to abide by the rules. A referee shouldn't need to explain the rules of the game to the players every 5 minutes.
Yes that is correct so does this mean a referee should never call a player out allowing him remove himself from the play to avoid a penalty?? I guess what's being said here is you either call them out or don't if the referee only does its sometimes then clearly one side is going to benefit by receiving a penalty when the players isn't called out. If they can't call everyone then they should call no one, and award the penalties.

tigertales

Post by tigertales » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 8:05 am

I reckon refs say too much, they should just shut up and ref the game not talk to the players, just makes them look like dopes. There was a good one late in the game when he says to Taylor as he's playing the ball 'make sure you get a foot on it', Taylor then rolls the ball between his legs with no foot near it - result no penalty. On a side note, watch Souths last 4 games, they are being coached to drop the ball on impact in tackles, its too coincidental to be impact losses all of the time.

Citizen Tiger

Post by Citizen Tiger » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 8:13 am

farmduck wrote:Its a fundamental principle of any sport that it is the responsibility of the players to abide by the rules. A referee shouldn't need to explain the rules of the game to the players every 5 minutes.
Correct, although a good ref will 'manage' things for 10-15 minutes so players understand his style and whatever infringements happen to be targeted for that week. Calling players by their names should be outlawed. They have numbers on their backs for a reason

Goose

Post by Goose » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 8:37 am

Citizen Tiger wrote:
Correct, although a good ref will 'manage' things for 10-15 minutes so players understand his style and whatever infringements happen to be targeted for that week. Calling players by their names should be outlawed. They have numbers on their backs for a reason
I like it if the ref "gives instructions", the players can work with the ref, and if they don't comply they get penalised. With the early penalty the OP was talking about, we were on our line and Heighno charged out of the line, the ref did not really have a chance to call him out.

As for not calling players by their name, I completely disagree, the refs all know the penalties these days and referring to them by name shows more respect, they are not school teachers who are discipling naughty boys.

tigertales

Post by tigertales » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 10:33 am

Goose in theory I agree, in reality it doesnt work. We have two guys out there both giving instructions (that sometimes even conflict), we have captains going up and questioning every call, I'd like to see a referee play on and then penalise the captain for being inside the 10, they should use numbers not names, they should make it impersonal and they should do their job, no talk, no feedback, if you want feedback then get it after the game, not when grimly defending your line. Oh yea and before you blow up, I referee junior footy have done so for 20 years. Havent sent a player off for 3 seasons, I do my job they do theirs, simple.

I cant remember the last time me or any of my mates went to the footy to watch a referee.