Cultured Bogan

Re: Alcohol thread

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 1:35 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 1:31 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 12:16 pm
Difficult doing your own wines NT?
So far, no. Far less difficult than I had thought. I have access to a lot of fruit at times through the year so figured it would be inexpensive, just some hard work. I did a lot of reading about making fruit wines and 'averaged' some recipes(i.e. took the bits that sounded good). There are a lot of opinions about how to best make fruit wines, but I just went for the most basic, simplest methods.
The Lime wine should be interesting. I can't find a decent recipe so will average one ok lime recipe I've found with the Tangerine recipe I last used. Hopefully it won't come out tasting like floor cleaner.
Are you making wine?
Not making my own, no. Started drinking more lately though since I don't drink heavily anymore. Spirits and wine are good as I'll only have a glass or two and be content whereas I can throw beers back without even thinking. Enjoy a chilly bottle of wine on a stinking hot day just as much as a beer these days.

Was wondering how difficult it was as I've never really known anyone to make their own. Plenty of home beer brewers but not wine.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 1:43 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 1:35 pm
NT Tiger wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 1:31 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 12:16 pm
Difficult doing your own wines NT?
So far, no. Far less difficult than I had thought. I have access to a lot of fruit at times through the year so figured it would be inexpensive, just some hard work. I did a lot of reading about making fruit wines and 'averaged' some recipes(i.e. took the bits that sounded good). There are a lot of opinions about how to best make fruit wines, but I just went for the most basic, simplest methods.
The Lime wine should be interesting. I can't find a decent recipe so will average one ok lime recipe I've found with the Tangerine recipe I last used. Hopefully it won't come out tasting like floor cleaner.
Are you making wine?
Not making my own, no. Started drinking more lately though since I don't drink heavily anymore. Spirits and wine are good as I'll only have a glass or two and be content whereas I can throw beers back without even thinking. Enjoy a chilly bottle of wine on a stinking hot day just as much as a beer these days.

Was wondering how difficult it was as I've never really known anyone to make their own. Plenty of home beer brewers but not wine.
Except for the fact that you have to take the time to press the juice from the fruit, the process is at least as easy as home brewing beer. Of all the people I have known (including me)to home brew beer only one (not me)has produced something that I would call quality beer.
The wine on the other hand is simple and bright, very nice chilled. Very easy to drink. The main thing I keep in mind is ensuring everything is sterile through the process.
"Quality Stupidity"

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 2:26 pm

I don't drink much any more nearly drunk myself to death as a teenager and early 20's. I don't mind a XXXX Summer, really refreshing about 1 a fortnight,.
I enjoyed Grolsch a couple of years ago, really hoppy taste took a while to adjust to it after the XXXX.
An occasional Tia Maria or Baileys is about my limit now.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 3:46 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 2:26 pm
I don't drink much any more nearly drunk myself to death as a teenager and early 20's. I don't mind a XXXX Summer, really refreshing about 1 a fortnight,.
I enjoyed Grolsch a couple of years ago, really hoppy taste took a while to adjust to it after the XXXX.
An occasional Tia Maria or Baileys is about my limit now.
As you probably know that Aldi has a Baileys imitation calle Donnellys that smells exactly the same for almost only a third of the price.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 5:02 pm

Wife has gone nuts for the strawberries and cream Baileys. She is not a drinker at all and I brought a bottle home yesterday and I think she's nearly halfway through it already.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 5:12 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 5:02 pm
Wife has gone nuts for the strawberries and cream Baileys. She is not a drinker at all and I brought a bottle home yesterday and I think she's nearly halfway through it already.
Strawberries and cream baileys! Sounds yum
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Reihna

Post by Reihna » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 9:59 pm

Alcohol not good habit for us,it has a lot of side effects of our body,so its better for us just go away from these kinds of things.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 10:21 pm

Reihna posts 7 posts regularly. At least twice on fast food and again here. Que pasa ahora?
"Quality Stupidity"

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 11:14 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 1:10 am
Red cordial..
You mean fire engine

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 11:17 pm

Sabre wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 11:35 pm
Young Henrys has to be the most overrated, overpriced drink available. Nothing special about it whatsoever.
When I saw this was a recommendation thread my first thought was Balter XPA. Fantastic drink. But looks like you've discovered that already.

I don't mind Kosciusko. That goes down well. Stone and Wood is nice too.
Agree about YH....I like the traditional beers VB and Carlton Draught, Furphy as a newbie. Is good too

Demps

Post by Demps » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 7:29 am

Reihna wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 9:59 pm
Alcohol not good habit for us,it has a lot of side effects of our body,so its better for us just go away from these kinds of things.
100%
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 7:50 am

Reihna wrote:
I agree it’s not a good habit if your one to take it to excess. in moderation you can enjoy a long and happy life by having a glass or two a day.
in Ivan we distrust

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:00 am

tigerap wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 11:14 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 1:10 am
Red cordial..
You mean fire engine
No i mean straight from the cottees bottle..no mixers...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:09 am

swag tiger wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 11:02 pm
old man tiger wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:28 pm
Batch I want to try. YH hasn't really done it for me.
I live in Newtown so both are easy to Find.
Swaggy,when I was a young bloke I lived in Wells street Newtown,just off St Peters station,I enjoyed many a schooner of Resches at the Marlbrough Hotel... I was doing my accountancy course in Ultimo at TAFE...

nowadays I enjoy Wild Turkey Longbranch and coke,Im very partial to having Carlton Draught on tap or BECKS beer at home..
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:42 am

Demps wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 7:29 am
Reihna wrote:
100%
Each to their own. I did dry july and gave up coffee for a few weeks too. When I started drinking both again I sincerely felt 2 coffees a day messed with my body's normal functioning more than two shots of whisky. Not in the first hour when obviously the whisky was in full effect, but definitely for the rest of the day after that.

Know your body, live smart and safe, but save the judgement for roosters fans.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 11:26 am

Being a coeliac I haven't had a regular beer for a while, but back when I did Little Creatures and Pilsner Urquell were the choices. As a gluten free beer both Wilde and Baron's (USA) are pretty decent.

Scotch definitely an Islay man too. Lag, Laphroaig, also Ardbeg. One from Tassie Sullivan's Cove is pretty smooth too.

Gin is a new favourite. Ink, Green Ant and Wild Brumby are some great local options. Hendricks with cucumber is great too!

When making a refreshing drink or cocktail a bit of Solerno or Lillet Blanc on ice goes down a treat!

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 11:49 am

Reihna wrote:
Yeah Nahhhhhhhh.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

Demps

Post by Demps » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:07 pm

My brother told me alcohol is older than religion 😉

Still I chose the sober life.
Shout out sonny bill.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.