Alcohol thread

General Social Discussion
old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Alcohol thread

Post by old man tiger » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:09 pm

Any recommendations from forumers?

I enjoy my beers and spirits and this being a weekend with no sport I'm interested in, I think it's a good time to talk alcohol.

For mine, if you haven't tried them I'd recommend the following:

Beer
Balter XPA. I'm not usually an IPA drinker, but this has very balanced hops. And beer in a can, coming up to summer, what's not to like?

Whisky
I mostly drink islays and I enjoy Lagavulin, Laphroaig etc... recently picked up an octomore 8.1 at a good price to celebrate our second child (poor kid). Fantastic. For a more budget friendly option, if you like any of those listed above but want something a bit milder I have a bottle of Caol Ila 12 which has been a great surprise.

If you don't like peat smoke I can only recommend glenfarclas 15, my experience is limited with others because I've never liked anything else enough to buy it twice.

Vodka
I rarely drink it but just picked up a bottle of Ketel one. IMO as good as the grey goose and belvedere I used to spend double on. Maybe bit milder but that's ok for me as I find neat vodka similar to what I imagine metho would taste like.

Not advocating getting blind drunk or drinking by people who shouldn't. Just sharing ideas for people who like to have a couple of quiet drinks with good company and can make recommendations to like minded individuals.

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:17 pm

I normally get my beer form The Batch or Young Henry's.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:28 pm

Batch I want to try. YH hasn't really done it for me.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:29 pm

Beer:

My favourites are Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Hacker Pschorr Munich Gold lager. Paulaner Weissbier is pretty nice as well.

Whiskey:

Not much of a spirits drinker but I quite enjoy Jack Daniel's and Chivas Regal.

Don't drink Vodka, many silly nights on that as a young bloke.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 11:02 pm

old man tiger wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:28 pm
Batch I want to try. YH hasn't really done it for me.
I live in Newtown so both are easy to Find.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 11:09 pm

I've always enjoyed a decent scotch but preferred other options. Recently my (wealthier) cousin gave a glass of Octomore 8.1 and it blew me away. Unfortunately, I'm probably too poor to get any more for a while.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 11:33 pm

Masterton wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 11:09 pm
I've always enjoyed a decent scotch but preferred other options. Recently my (wealthier) cousin gave a glass of Octomore 8.1 and it blew me away. Unfortunately, I'm probably too poor to get any more for a while.
Wife got me tickets to whisky live for Christmas. Got a bottle there, can't afford it again at retail. Still, glad I got to try it.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 11:35 pm

Young Henrys has to be the most overrated, overpriced drink available. Nothing special about it whatsoever.
When I saw this was a recommendation thread my first thought was Balter XPA. Fantastic drink. But looks like you've discovered that already.

I don't mind Kosciusko. That goes down well. Stone and Wood is nice too.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 1:04 am

Rarely drink beer anymore , Canadian Club Dry is my choice

Johnny Walker Black if I buy a bottle

Goes alright in your Irish Coffee as well , fantastic drink when the WT's are getting hammered and the wife doesn't have a clue either

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 1:10 am

Red cordial..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

Demps

Post by Demps » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 7:11 am

Geo. wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 1:10 am
Red cordial..
LOL.

I have not drank alcohol in over ten years.

Made that choice because I don't like the taste or how it makes me feel.

My body is a temple and I'm always attempting to live the healthiest life I can live..... Although my diet can definitely improve.

Best drink I ever had though was cranberry juice with chambord.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 8:42 am

Golden Gate Spumante
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 8:54 am

Love Beer. I try to buy Australian owned, which is getting hard as most sell out to Internationals. As a mid strength Balter- Captain Sensible. Coopers has always been my full back when I can't decide. On tap I generally choose different beers at different venues. My fav is a pint of the Atomic Stout at the Four Pines in Manly.
I did like Kosciuszko until they sold out to Lion Nathan and moved the brewing to Vic. It doesn't taste the same now.

Lagavulin is a favourite. Ardbeg, smokiest I've had but I prefer the oils in Lagavulin.
in Ivan we distrust

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 9:25 am

my only alcohol is in rum and raisin chocolates and ice cream and cough mixture - can I join in?
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

JB58

Post by JB58 » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 11:16 am

I brew my own beer & I'm trying to get close to a decent IPA. I've tried Batch and Willie The Boatman; Willie's in front so far with (no joke) the Crazy Ivan IPA.

For those in Sydney, the Sydney Beer Week is on later this month. Batch, Willie TB and others from the inner west will be at Precinct 75 in St. Peters on the 27th October, along with a variety of food trucks.

https://sydneybeerweek.com.au/events/iw ... uck-event/

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 11:59 am

Whiskey: I don't drink much whiskey anymore, too expensive, but Laphroaig is the one I usually get when I feel like it.
Tequila: Generally if I buy spirits, I usually get Sierra Silver tequila neat, with lime juice or occasionally when my NZ mate is around, Margaritas.
Beer: Coopers Pale or Sparkling. On occasion when I go down to Cairns, the beers at the Macalister Brewing Company are sensational. Nice views over the cane fields as well.
Wine: Home made fruit wines. At the moment it's Tangerine. Very nice, clean, and refreshing, if a bit strong. Next batch will be either straight lime or lime/tangerine.
"Quality Stupidity"

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 12:16 pm

Difficult doing your own wines NT?
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 1:31 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 12:16 pm
Difficult doing your own wines NT?
So far, no. Far less difficult than I had thought. I have access to a lot of fruit at times through the year so figured it would be inexpensive, just some hard work. I did a lot of reading about making fruit wines and 'averaged' some recipes(i.e. took the bits that sounded good). I also spoke to the local brew suppliers, who tried to sell me kits at first but then passed on a few tips. There are a lot of opinions about how to best make fruit wines, but I just went for the most basic, simplest methods.
The Lime wine should be interesting. I can't find a decent recipe so will average one ok lime recipe I've found with the Tangerine recipe I last used. Hopefully it won't come out tasting like floor cleaner.
Are you making wine?
"Quality Stupidity"