Annalise Braakensiek

General Social Discussion
happy tiger

Annalise Braakensiek

Post by happy tiger » Mon 07 Jan, 2019 9:13 pm

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia ... ocid=ientp

What in the world is happening when the spokesperson for the RU OK campaign isn't asked that question ??

Look I can't say this enough , if anyone needs someone to talk to about anything please don't be afraid to ask for help

Life's tough enough and we've all taken on huge burdens by becoming WT's supporters

But in saying that we are all in the same boat , if we can't help you , we will do our darnedest to find someone who will

There is no embarrassment , you are not any less a man or woman if you ask for help

Think about it , you don't know how this effects everyone around you , family , friends , colleagues

Here is a real scary one ......did you know that when parents commit suicide , 70% of their children attempt suicide also

So I have one last question before I sign off

Is everyone OK ?? Think about it before you answer Are you OK ??

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Mon 07 Jan, 2019 9:28 pm

Good on you Happy! Very caring post. I’ll add to your post by saying I’ve fully recovered from serious mental health illness. If anyone every needs to or wants to chat - just private message me. Cheers!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

cochise

Post by cochise » Mon 07 Jan, 2019 9:34 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 07 Jan, 2019 9:13 pm

What in the world is happening when the spokesperson for the RU OK campaign isn't asked that question ??

Look I can't say this enough , if anyone needs someone to talk to about anything please don't be afraid to ask for help

Life's tough enough and we've all taken on huge burdens by becoming WT's supporters

But in saying that we are all in the same boat , if we can't help you , we will do our darnedest to find someone who will

There is no embarrassment , you are not any less a man or woman if you ask for help

Think about it , you don't know how this effects everyone around you , family , friends , colleagues

Here is a real scary one ......did you know that when parents commit suicide , 70% of their children attempt suicide also

Mate awesome post, as someone who struggles with depression and mental illness this is crucial. Seek help when you need it, I've made the mistake in the past thinking it is weak to seek help and have ended up in some pretty bad situations. Please ask for help when you need it and keep an eye on your loved ones.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 07 Jan, 2019 9:57 pm

Yep great post Happy.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 07 Jan, 2019 10:28 pm

cochise wrote:
Mon 07 Jan, 2019 9:34 pm
happy tiger wrote:

Mate awesome post, as someone who struggles with depression and mental illness this is crucial. Seek help when you need it, I've made the mistake in the past thinking it is weak to seek help and have ended up in some pretty bad situations. Please ask for help when you need it and keep an eye on your loved ones.
You are quite right and the worst thing you can do is bottle it up inside and believe you can get through it on your own

cochise

Post by cochise » Mon 07 Jan, 2019 10:49 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Mon 07 Jan, 2019 10:28 pm
cochise wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

You are quite right and the worst thing you can do is bottle it up inside and believe you can get through it on your own
I always thought I could deal with stuff myself and that worked until it didn't and I suffered a massive public breakdown that destroyed my life.

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 07 Jan, 2019 11:20 pm

R.I.P

Remember her from FAT PIZZA.
What a beauty.

EDIT: No info on cause of death? Nothing suspicious.

Happy tiger appreciation btw. What a good guy and an amazing poster on this site.
=
Last edited by Demps on Mon 07 Jan, 2019 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Mon 07 Jan, 2019 11:23 pm

cochise wrote:
Mon 07 Jan, 2019 10:49 pm
jadtiger wrote:
cochise wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

I always thought I could deal with stuff myself and that worked until it didn't and I suffered a massive public breakdown that destroyed my life.
So sorry to hear that mate. My wife asked me several years ago if I thought I was depressed and I just about bit her head off. Five years later on a visit to my GP I realised that I was deeply depressed. It's tough to admit it to yourself but help is available. I don't think it ever goes away but for me it's very manageable these days although there are still some days that are dark.
Good luck to you and to all on this forum who are afflicted by depression and other mental health disorders. I can only reinforce happy tiger's excellent post. If you need help don't be ashamed to ask for it. You'll find as I did that people are very supportive.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 07 Jan, 2019 11:57 pm

Demps wrote:
Mon 07 Jan, 2019 11:20 pm
R.I.P

What a beauty.

Happy tiger appreciation btw. What a good guy and an amazing poster on this site.
=
Thanks Demps , but I wouldn't wish what I go through daily on anyone

I just clicked up 29 years on losing a close mate to suicide , being the last person that ever spoke to him and sticking him in a cab thinking I had him in a better place and then having him get out of the cab 400 metres away and jumping off a bridge

If I had a dollar for every time I asked myself "if only I had ........."

Ask the tough questions ..........if something doesn't seem right it probably isn't .........

cochise

Post by cochise » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 12:27 am

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 07 Jan, 2019 11:57 pm
Demps wrote:
R.I.P

What a beauty.

=

I just clicked up 29 years on losing a close mate to suicide , being the last person that ever spoke to him and sticking him in a cab thinking I had him in a better place and then having him get out of the cab 400 metres away and jumping off a bridge

Ask the tough questions ..........if something doesn't seem right it probably isn't .........
Hey mate,
That's horrible and I know how tough that can be, I just hit 22 years since after an argument with a mate he intentionally put his car into a tree. It never fully leaves you and is something I think of everyday and the "if onlys" don't ever stop, but you have made a difference by just posting this thread let alone the lives you impact everyday.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 12:42 am

cochise wrote:
Mon 07 Jan, 2019 10:49 pm
jadtiger wrote:
cochise wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

It is in human psyche to consider ourselves to be bullet proof without a care in the world(especially men)but reality is far from the truth.We all need help and support to get through life and provide the same support to people in need.Depression is one of the most difficult challenges in life because unlike just about all other diseases people tend to think they can deal with it themselves instead of seeking help.
Stay strong Cochise and seek help when you need it,no matter how big the hole you think you are in someone will help you out of.Take care

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 1:18 am

cochise wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 12:27 am
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 07 Jan, 2019 11:57 pm
Demps wrote:
R.I.P

What a beauty.

=

Hey mate,
That's horrible and I know how tough that can be, I just hit 22 years since after an argument with a mate he intentionally put his car into a tree. It never fully leaves you and is something I think of everyday and the "if onlys" don't ever stop, but you have made a difference by just posting this thread let alone the lives you impact everyday.
I'm so sorry to hear that

My reason for posting this article and telling my story was also hearing just recently that 8 Australians every day ( 2 women and 6 men on average ) commit suicide , we need to be doing more , depression is an illness that rarely show outward signs until it is far too late

Fortunately anti depressants can help greatly control the symptoms and keep people more on a level keel

Mental illness as a whole needs to be more readily accepted as an illness , when experts talk about 1 in 3 people suffering depression at some stage in their lives you need to be asking questions of your friends , family ,Doctors

Beyond Blue has a list of questions about depression , but always consult your Doctor

Another concern for many is money and psychologists fees , many patients can qualify to see health professionals for 10 free consultations / year

yeti

Post by yeti » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 8:55 am

Great posts by all.
I work in the Health Industry and deal with people with mental health issues from a security perspective.
It's not easy to see people who are tormented and suffering, but there is so much of it out there.
And it must be said, even in emergency departments, patients with mental illness are treated differently from people with a physical illness - it just isn't right.
The advice given needs to be repeated again and again - ask for help.
Good on you Happy for once again raising this topic. It needs to be brought to people's attention more often.
The Christmas/New Year period is particularly hard for many mental health patients and we need to be particularly vigilant at this time.

Earl

Post by Earl » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 9:16 am

A friend of mine committed suicide last week. This was tragic and it hit me pretty hard. My 14 yo son overdosed on anti-depressants last year. My dad and both of my brothers have suffered from depression.

Suicide is the no 1 cause of death for people aged between 15 and 44 in Australia.
happy tiger wrote:
I don't agree with this comment though. It's not as simple as asking someone if you are okay and then everything somehow working out. She could have been asked multiple times.

The post above related to care is very true. When my son had problems the care was really really cheap.

Depression though is really complex. For instance counselling didn't help my son but participating in sports and stopping the chaos (slowly) in his life helped.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 9:48 am

Earl wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 9:16 am
A friend of mine committed suicide last week. This was tragic and it hit me pretty hard. My 14 yo son overdosed on anti-depressants last year. My dad and both of my brothers have suffered from depression.

Suicide is the no 1 cause of death for people aged between 15 and 44 in Australia.
happy tiger wrote:
I don't agree with this comment though. It's not as simple as asking someone if you are okay and then everything somehow working out. She could have been asked multiple times.

The post above related to care is very true. When my son had problems the care was really really cheap.

Depression though is really complex. For instance counselling didn't help my son but participating in sports and stopping the chaos (slowly) in his life helped.
I am often reminded of the saying "you are only ever as happy as your unhappiest child". Its tough being a parent of child that is suffering. Hope things improve for you and yours Earl.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 9:55 am

Earl wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 9:16 am

happy tiger wrote:

Exactly right. I don’t mind admitting i’ve had thoughts a couple times in my life. As recently as 3 months ago. And I can tell you, in that headspace, you couldn’t care less if there are people willing to make time for you. Unless you have been in that position, you can’t understand how far mentally gone you are in that state. There’s nothing anyone can say to make you feel like that the answer you are contemplating isn’t the right one.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 10:06 am

I'm OK..thanks for asking happy
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 10:21 am

Geo. wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 10:06 am
I'm OK..thanks for asking happy
If your sure your OK , good :)