Annalise Braakensiek

General Social Discussion
Tiger Steve

Re: Annalise Braakensiek

Post by Tiger Steve » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 10:27 am

Wow. Incredible amount of raw honesty in this thread. This is why I post about not tearing each other apart personally - you never know what’s going on in another persons life. I’m all up for vigorous, strong debate but I think it’s sad when we start attacking each other. It’s easy to say “toughen up” but for some, this may not be possible.
I really enjoy being part of this forum (it occupies way too much of my time now😉) and after reading the posts in this thread I’m feeling more connected.
Cheers
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 10:44 am

Earl wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 9:16 am
A friend of mine committed suicide last week. This was tragic and it hit me pretty hard. My 14 yo son overdosed on anti-depressants last year. My dad and both of my brothers have suffered from depression.

Suicide is the no 1 cause of death for people aged between 15 and 44 in Australia.
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 07 Jan, 2019 9:13 pm
What in the world is happening when the spokesperson for the RU OK campaign isn't asked that question ??
I don't agree with this comment though. It's not as simple as asking someone if you are okay and then everything somehow working out. She could have been asked multiple times.

The post above related to care is very true. When my son had problems the care was really really cheap.

Depression though is really complex. For instance counselling didn't help my son but participating in sports and stopping the chaos (slowly) in his life helped.
Sorry Earl to hear about your friend and your continuing issues with your family , I pray that you all have continued good mental health

I reworded the comment you don't like many times , many times

My point is don't ever look at someone and assume they have life by the tail , no matter how beautiful someone is , rich you are , successful in your chosen profession , popular they are

Biggest mistake ........... how many times do we hear about someone you knew that has committed suicide or even attempted suicide and you thought "I didn't even know , they seemed so happy "

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 10:52 am

The “r u ok” campaign is very well intentioned. If nothing else, it raises people’s awareness of the probability that someone you know is silently suffering. It is not a cure - just asking someone how they’re going will do little on its own, but if it demonstrates to those suffering that those around them care then maybe they will seek help. My wife was an amazing support for me (still is). Knowing she cared for and loved me kept me alive. I’m sure of that. From there I sought medical help and over time was able to beat this insidious illness (I hope forever). But me seeking help started with knowing someone cared. “R U OK” just may do this for others.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

strrretch

Post by strrretch » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 11:48 am

Nice post. I would like to think people may also consider other's frailty when knocking or commenting on a players form or shortcomings on a public forum. Quite often have seen comments about a person and thought " hope the person or their family don't see this s***"

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 11:58 am

strrretch wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 11:48 am
Nice post. I would like to think people may also consider other's frailty when knocking or commenting on a players form or shortcomings on a public forum. Quite often have seen comments about a person and thought " hope the person or their family don't see this s***"
That will never happen. Copping criticsm comes with the territory when you are in the public eye.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 1:21 pm

Came across this the other day.
Very powerful story.

Earl

Post by Earl » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 2:30 pm

Telltails wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 9:48 am
Earl wrote:
A friend of mine committed suicide last week. This was tragic and it hit me pretty hard. My 14 yo son overdosed on anti-depressants last year. My dad and both of my brothers have suffered from depression.

Suicide is the no 1 cause of death for people aged between 15 and 44 in Australia.
happy tiger wrote:
What in the world is happening when the spokesperson for the RU OK campaign isn't asked that question ??
I don't agree with this comment though. It's not as simple as asking someone if you are okay and then everything somehow working out. She could have been asked multiple times.

The post above related to care is very true. When my son had problems the care was really really cheap.

Depression though is really complex. For instance counselling didn't help my son but participating in sports and stopping the chaos (slowly) in his life helped.
I am often reminded of the saying "you are only ever as happy as your unhappiest child". Its tough being a parent of child that is suffering. Hope things improve for you and yours Earl.
Thank You. My son has improved 1000%. He is really good now.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 2:42 pm

strrretch wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 11:48 am
I think when Ben Hunts wife reacted last year it was a sign that he was struggling, and so was she. No doubt that probably didnt help his situation, but when you care about someone you get to a point where you want to rip peoples heads off when you think they are being unfairly treated. The rewards of playing footy certainly come with some challenges.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 2:47 pm

A lot of the time if the internet knows it gets to you, they’ll go even harder. I haven’t ever heard of an athlete committing suicide over criticism. I think they are wired differently to the average joe blow. They have to be.

Earl

Post by Earl » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 2:48 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 10:44 am
Earl wrote:

happy tiger wrote:

Sorry Earl to hear about your friend and your continuing issues with your family , I pray that you all have continued good mental health

My point is don't ever look at someone and assume they have life by the tail , no matter how beautiful someone is , rich you are , successful in your chosen profession , popular they are

Biggest mistake ........... how many times do we hear about someone you knew that has committed suicide or even attempted suicide and you thought "I didn't even know , they seemed so happy "
HI happy - thank you.

I wasn't meaning to have a go at you for stating that point. Asking for help is great. It's more the fact that the problem is really complex and just asking someone if they are okay doesn't mean they are going to open up.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 3:53 pm

Earl wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 2:48 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Earl wrote:

happy tiger wrote:

HI happy - thank you.

I wasn't meaning to have a go at you for stating that point. Asking for help is great. It's more the fact that the problem is really complex and just asking someone if they are okay doesn't mean they are going to open up.
I 100% agree Earl

But in some cases the last person to realize they have depression is the actual person ......

cochise

Post by cochise » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 4:29 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 3:53 pm
Earl wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 2:48 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Earl wrote:

HI happy - thank you.

I 100% agree Earl

But in some cases the last person to realize they have depression is the actual person ......
That is a very valid point, for the longest time I thought I was ok and only after the fact can I see I wasn't and the amount of people that reached out to help me that I just turned away.

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 9:19 pm

Great posts Happy. A very complex issue as many have pointed out. The WTF is a pretty good community.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 9:40 pm

Thanks Happy, all good here. How are you going?
"Quality Stupidity"

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 10:54 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 9:40 pm
Thanks Happy, all good here. How are you going?
Can't complain

Seriously though , had a tough 18 months losing both the in laws and step Dad within 11 months

I can't believe how well my kids coped though ......son's school results were still excellent and my daughter got the biggest award the school offers , that was just amazing

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 9:29 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 2:47 pm
A lot of the time if the internet knows it gets to you, they’ll go even harder. I haven’t ever heard of an athlete committing suicide over criticism. I think they are wired differently to the average joe blow. They have to be.
Maybe not over a specific criticism but considering it's pretty easy to come up with names of even just league players that have ended their own lives - Peter Jackson, Mosese, Francis Winterstein, Chad Robinson. There was that young fellow from the Raiders a year or two ago.

Many footballers are wired differently and many are not. Many learn to ignore or accept or even revel in the negative feedback, but I think the main issue is how much younger and inexperienced first-grade players are in the modern game. And how many players don't make the transition from talent to career, and how many of those don't have the life skills to find another path. Hence the Men Of League.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 12:47 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 09 Jan, 2019 9:29 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Maybe not over a specific criticism but considering it's pretty easy to come up with names of even just league players that have ended their own lives - Peter Jackson, Mosese, Francis Winterstein, Chad Robinson. There was that young fellow from the Raiders a year or two ago.

Many footballers are wired differently and many are not. Many learn to ignore or accept or even revel in the negative feedback, but I think the main issue is how much younger and inexperienced first-grade players are in the modern game. And how many players don't make the transition from talent to career, and how many of those don't have the life skills to find another path. Hence the Men Of League.
The Cowboys have had a few now with their junior players

The two recurring themes with the youngers guys were off seasons and the players living a long distance away from their family base

Of all the cases , only one happened during the season proper and it was very early on in a season (cowboys , not the Winterstein one )

The Peter Jackson wasn't a suicide it was a drug overdose

Still was a sad case , my Uncle had a few dealing with Whacko with his job at Ansett and said he was always the nicest bloke and always remembered his name

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 12:56 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 09 Jan, 2019 9:29 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Is there a correlation though between their deaths and criticism they received? Peter Jackson suffered from manic depression and committed suicide after he had retired. Mosese, it’s been established felt guilt over fearing he might not be able to provide for his family due to an injury. Not saying players are immuned from suicidal thoughts, but they don’t react as emotionally as supporters do to what is said online. There’s never been a suicide, or even an attempt of suicide or just thoughts of suicide due to an athlete being criticised by the public.