Kickoff:
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast:
smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Hit on Groat

Post by smeghead » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 10:45 pm

1974semifinal wrote:Groat got flogged and our pigs did nothing...we need someone like Dallas, Bruiser or Boyd...someone who will scare the other side..Sorry to say our pigs are too nice.
I hear what you are saying but the clear edict that came out of the last month was discipline. I can almost guarantee that if someone went for the square up and either missed and created a gap or gave away a penalty they would be in State Cup this week.

Montague Street

Post by Montague Street » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 11:00 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Montague Street wrote:Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS)
Any tackle above the chest is illegal.
The chest is defined as the nipple
The consequence is a send off to offending player and a penalty to the offended team.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
You got one part correct.
Ridiculous idea

Most pea brained thing Ive ever read tbh
The suggestion that all tackles above the nipple line should be banned has been promoted by Dr Nathan Gibbs. And I agree.

Rugby League: The Game They Play in Hell

LaT

Post by LaT » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 2:28 am

smeghead wrote:
1974semifinal wrote:Groat got flogged and our pigs did nothing...we need someone like Dallas, Bruiser or Boyd...someone who will scare the other side..Sorry to say our pigs are too nice.
I hear what you are saying but the clear edict that came out of the last month was discipline. I can almost guarantee that if someone went for the square up and either missed and created a gap or gave away a penalty they would be in State Cup this week.
Didn't Farah attempt a hit on Teo later in the game and ended up floored? I figured that was a square up attempt haha!
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

hellman

Post by hellman » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 7:28 am

LaT wrote:Didn't Farah attempt a hit on Teo later in the game and ended up floored? I figured that was a square up attempt haha!
Farah went to tackle him an copped an elbow to the head. I reckon that should have been put on report as well.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 8:50 am

Why he wont play origin....poor defense

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 8:58 am

innsaneink wrote:
Teams have enough players to do it now,
Right.
Thats why weve just signed Cashmere and possibly Rose

How about an example of who you'd use for next weeks game for us, two players hangin' 'round, justincase
The Tigers are in a pretty extreme injury situation so I don't know that the signing(s) you've mentioned have anything to do with my point. Furthermore, I highly doubt me labeling 2 players to sit on the bench as 18th or 19th men would generate anything more than further criticism. You've made it clear you disagree, so let's just leave it at that.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 9:29 am

Wow, thats some rollover. Think you just proved my point.

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 11:40 am

You're point has not been proven and I didn't roll over, but I get it....you're one of those guys that needs the last right of reply...go ahead and take it champ.

Good luck to you.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 11:47 am

No need to get all defensive, We're here to discuss things 'champ', you can make a statement and leave it at that, however some may like to respond to that statement.
You did prove my point, you finally see the signing(s) are a result of a dire situation yet on the other hand say teams have enough players to have an extra two waiting for a shoulder charge that may never happen..
Its clear right now we dont have enough. We will struggle to field a first grade squad next week.

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 12:57 pm

innsaneink wrote:No need to get all defensive, We're here to discuss things 'champ', you can make a statement and leave it at that, however some may like to respond to that statement.
You did prove my point, you finally see the signing(s) are a result of a dire situation yet on the other hand say teams have enough players to have an extra two waiting for a shoulder charge that may never happen..
Its clear right now we dont have enough. We will struggle to field a first grade squad next week.
I agree, I can add to this to a few more positions: 1, 6, 9.

(I presume with MIller/Chisholm/Humble there is enough debt at 7)

As in the last few years, we do not have substitute for Galloway and now Woods. (We had Gibbs, great in defence, but othen IMHO was missed in attack, Fifita was mostly running sideways and was lazy in defence, with poor attitude). We have Groat who at the moment is not at his best, we lost Begovich and I am not sure Spence is immediate replacement.

Unfortunately Tedesco was the only option at fullback. Perhaps Koroibete, but he was injured at the same time.

Off course Marshall is once a generation player, however, we do not have ATM a quality substitute (this will be addrressses with Anasta).

The same applies to Farah, if he hets injured for long period is Politoni the answer?

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 5:10 pm

innsaneink wrote:No need to get all defensive, We're here to discuss things 'champ', you can make a statement and leave it at that, however some may like to respond to that statement.

Let's agree to disagree, but my stance is that despite the injury situation we are in we could still find 1 or 2 players each week from 20's, NSW Cup etc.

Plus, I have offered another thought regarding penalising the offending team through reduced interchange, but I didn't get much stick for that suggestion so you may have missed it ;)

18thman

Post by 18thman » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 5:19 pm

For what it's worth Teo will get 3 weeks....4 if he contests and loses. No good to us though :roll:

Source.....Foxsports.

Citizen Tiger

Post by Citizen Tiger » Tue 10 Apr, 2012 1:20 pm

Montague Street wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Montague Street wrote:Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS)
Any tackle above the chest is illegal.
The chest is defined as the nipple
The consequence is a send off to offending player and a penalty to the offended team.

You got one part correct.
Ridiculous idea

Most pea brained thing Ive ever read tbh
The suggestion that all tackles above the nipple line should be banned has been promoted by Dr Nathan Gibbs. And I agree.

Thought it was 'armpit' he was suggesting? In any case probs the same horizontal point! Its of some interest that none of these accidental or careless shots never take out a players larynx, moreover tend to make contact between the chin and the forehead. Just co-incidence I suppose?

Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl » Wed 11 Apr, 2012 9:11 pm

teo got two weeks, what a joke. should have got four
I dislike sowfs immensely

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Wed 11 Apr, 2012 10:34 pm

Brisbane's Te'o to miss two matches:

Brisbane's Ben Te'o will be sidelined for the next two NRL matches after being found guilty of a grade three dangerous contact charge, before successfully getting the offence downgraded to a grade two offence at an eventful judiciary hearing on Wednesday.

The Kiwi back-rower was initially hit with a four-game ban following a marathon hearing lasting almost two hours in the wake of his shoulder charge on Wests Tigers prop Matt Groat that forced him off the field with concussion last Friday.

However, immediately after the verdict was delivered by the three-man panel of Michael Buettner, Don McKinnon and Chris McKenna, the Broncos' counsel Peter Shields applied for a second hearing to fight the grading.

That lasted almost 45 minutes, and saw video footage presented of incidents involving St George Illawarra's Leeson Ah Mau and Canberra's Joel Thompson which Shield claimed were similar to Te'o's but were deemed to be grade one offences.

The panel took just over five minutes to make their second decision and the 25-year-old will now be free to return in round nine against the Warriors.

Broncos' chief executive Paul White said the verdict vindicated the club's decision to make the trip to Sydney.

"The decision has made it a worthwhile effort in what has been a long night for all concerned," White said.

"Our focus is now on facing Canberra this weekend."

The decision to find Te'o guilty places the future of the shoulder charge very much in doubt, in light of the one-match imposed on Canterbury's Frank Pritchard earlier in the season for a challenge to the head of Penrith's David Simmonds.

Shield earlier presented nine still shots of the incident and asked Te'o to explain in great detail what he was doing in each one in a bid to prove his innocence.

Footage of Groat leaving the field at Allianz Stadium was also presented, with Shield arguing that there were no lacerations to his face and little evidence to suggest Te'o had caught him on the head, and not the upper body.

Te'o and NRL counsel Peter Kite then had a verbal sparring match, with the player fighting his corner under questioning, claiming his the challenge was fair, with Kite arguing that there was no evidence to suggest he had not hit Groat in the head.

"I could see he had no footwork as he is a front-rower, and I had watched video of him all week," Te'o said.

"I knew he would take off straight up so I shortened my step to get my timing right and hit him above the ball and into the shoulder. I was hard and fast and he was hard and fast."

However, Kite's argument proved to be successful and a decision was made by the panel in less than 10 minutes to find Te'o guilty.

Below is the Ben Te'o tackle in question and some similar shoulder charges from season's gone by.

Source: http://www.nrl.com/broncos-teo-to-miss- ... fault.aspx