Has Benji lost pace

ImageImageImage
tigerlogic

Re: Has Benji lost pace

Post by tigerlogic » Mon 28 May, 2012 10:21 am

Benji probably isn't quite as fast as he was, but I don't think ppl r giving enough credit to Tamou...
Tamou beat Moltzen and almost ran off for the try and Moltzen is the fastest in the team after Lawrence I'd say...
It ha nothing to do with benj being fatigued, Tamou is a prop and played origin on Wednesday...

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Winnipeg

Post by Winnipeg » Mon 28 May, 2012 10:33 am

- Benji has cajones for taking a swing at Tamou, even if Tamou was on the ground

- he might have gotten a bit heavier but he seems to be defending pretty well, even putting some big hits on from time to time

- I remember a pretty good run from Bonstonker's 2011 highlights video, against Penrith, where he burned a few of their backs after breaking a tackle... I think he's still got a bit of pace!

Winnipeg

Post by Winnipeg » Mon 28 May, 2012 10:38 am

tigerlogic wrote:Benji probably isn't quite as fast as he was, but I don't think ppl r giving enough credit to Tamou...
Tamou beat Moltzen and almost ran off for the try and Moltzen is the fastest in the team after Lawrence I'd say...
It ha nothing to do with benj being fatigued, Tamou is a prop and played origin on Wednesday...

yeah Tamou is faster than the average prop, I'm confident Benji would have beaten George Rose in that position!

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 28 May, 2012 11:00 am

Let's not forget that Benji got reeled in by Ben Smith last year too, after coming back from his knee. He's not a power runner, so when he starts to get reeled in he takes his foot off the gas, unlike someone like Lawrence who hits the afterburners and tries to power through.

Benji runs just like a touch footballer. He'll duck and weave and pin his ears back in a staggered defensive line, but if he thinks he's covered he'll pull up and look for support.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Mon 28 May, 2012 11:08 am

jirskyr wrote:Let's not forget that Benji got reeled in by Ben Smith last year too, after coming back from his knee. He's not a power runner, so when he starts to get reeled in he takes his foot off the gas, unlike someone like Lawrence who hits the afterburners and tries to power through.

Benji runs just like a touch footballer. He'll duck and weave and pin his ears back in a staggered defensive line, but if he thinks he's covered he'll pull up and look for support.
Think you might be on the money - although in saying that I think he has put on a little beef which has slowed him a little.
If that had been Lawrence or Moltzen they would have backed themselves to burn Tamou off over the next few metres.
I think if Marshall had of kept going he would have got past him - but we'll never know!

willow

Post by willow » Mon 28 May, 2012 11:13 am

Tamou played his junior football in the centres too, so he's no slouch. He'd be the quickest prop in the NRL.

VX225

Post by VX225 » Mon 28 May, 2012 12:12 pm

jirskyr wrote:Let's not forget that Benji got reeled in by Ben Smith last year too, after coming back from his knee. He's not a power runner, so when he starts to get reeled in he takes his foot off the gas, unlike someone like Lawrence who hits the afterburners and tries to power through.

Yeah I agree with this. I reckon Benji knew there was a cowboys player near him, so pulled up to look for support. He probably didn't realise it was a prop. I reckon if he knew it was a prop chasing him he would have just pinned his ears back and went for it.

TJL0811

Post by TJL0811 » Mon 28 May, 2012 12:50 pm

Was I the only who got a flashback from benjis break which led to the flick pass in the 05 grand final?
I was just waiting for someone to come up & receive the flick pass to score

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Mon 28 May, 2012 5:24 pm

Mistadobalina wrote:
Flippedy wrote:What Tamou did was amazing! Ashley Graham was making no impression chasing after Benji, yet Tamou catches him??? That's nuts!

On another note, there seemed to be a bit of friction between Benji and Tamou today. What's the bet it had something to do with Tamou turning his back on New Zealand and getting selected for Oz instead. Benji is a very patriotic Kiwi.
I'm betting it had more to do with being taken out mid-air and landing square on his arse.
Yeah well obviously that too lol, but I still think there was more in it.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 28 May, 2012 5:36 pm

I still wonder if he got a slight twinge The next two times he touches the ball after the run he seems to have a slight limp

After that he seems fine If anyone has the game recorded watch and see you'll see what I mean

benji 76

Post by benji 76 » Wed 30 May, 2012 10:59 pm

I think that he is slower than he was 2,3 years ago

stryker

Post by stryker » Thu 31 May, 2012 10:07 am

I am not concerned...he may have lost a little, but he is still quick. Tamou also had a head start on Benj. If they started on the tryline together, he wouldnt have kept up.

rossop

Post by rossop » Fri 01 Jun, 2012 7:46 am

He seems to be pretty quick for 20-30 meters but slowed down after that. Plus Tamou was coming at an angle which made it appear he was faster.

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Fri 01 Jun, 2012 10:10 am

May've lost a bit of speed, yes. I would also consider the fact that Benji is one of a few players who've had the flu the past few weeks, according to Sheens. Factor in the fact it was in the second half and you'd imagine it did limit his energy levels to some degree.

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 12:33 pm

Tigerpete wrote:May've lost a bit of speed, yes. I would also consider the fact that Benji is one of a few players who've had the flu the past few weeks, according to Sheens. Factor in the fact it was in the second half and you'd imagine it did limit his energy levels to some degree.
great post! i was very surprised he didnt put it in, but after seeing this thread my thoughts were about what benji had just been doing on the field, ie; way more fatigued at the time.

i cant say i have noticed him being slower than he used to be, but i have always thought of him as pretty damn fast. what i have noticed is his entire game is so much better in the last 2 seasons: way less errors and way better in defence - more than capable of holding his own now.

Frank the tank

Post by Frank the tank » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 2:12 pm

It's the beard!!! less aerodynamic causes more drag thus slowing him down
I'm not a complete idiot.............there are some pieces missing!

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 5:44 pm

To me he has been a bit slower ever since he did his knee. It happens, I was quick in my youth, did my knee and never regained my pace.
Also it could be due to the fact that he has been in the halves for so long. As the old saying goes 'Use it or lose it', being in the halves for so long he is not running as much in open space like he would if say he was a fullback.
Gee its grouse at hardware house!

stryker

Post by stryker » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 6:35 pm

He has blown many players away for speed since his knee op Jazza. He has got older and heavier, but can still make a break.