Our best performance ever?

ImageImageImage
happy tiger

Re: Our best performance ever?

Post by happy tiger » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 9:43 pm

Sabre wrote:Was this our best ever?
Okay maybe best ever is an exaggeration, but it was certainly up there.
I don't remember us being so fluent and effective in everything we do.
C'mon Sabre Your dreaming First semi v Cowboys in 05 and the Bulldogs smashing in 05 we were untouchable performance wise

Performance wise we still have much improvement in my opinion give it a month when Farah ,Sironen and Marshall gets some combinations and hopefully hit some hard running centres

At this rate Ayshford will be flat out making the 17 . Scary when you think of it in that way

Melbourne next and they won't lay down like those pussies from the ACT . We need to forgot about tonight and focus on them and give it to them big time .Reckon we will be missing either Woodsy or Keefy for that match

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 9:45 pm

They were both in perfect conditions though tf4l...given circumstances I rate this as their equal.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 9:53 pm

hellman wrote:It was a great performance. It doesn't compare to 05 but geez that was good.

It was in the rain and it was against a team with a good pack of forwards and some good backs. Canberra are a bit of a mess though.
Should win against Melb minus their trinity of QLDers

PS Missed the Game whilst up in Newcastle this weekend....Spewen..

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 9:58 pm

king sirro wrote:Melb would have put 60 on that Canberra performance.

We did well, and its a GREAT step in the right direction...but honestly, Canberra were down right dreadful
Well said Sirro
but its still a good effort to keep a side to nil.
Dugan to 5/8 was never going to work and it killed their attacking options big time .

Tigerspirit

Post by Tigerspirit » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 9:59 pm

I think a few here are over exaggerating! The win was the best effort since last years semis. But today had reminders of how we played in 2010, disciplined, controling, smooth. Nothing to flashy. 05, last say 6-7 games we were on the highest high purely on flare and confidence. I just hope we continue to play like we did today but hit the semis and show a bit more flare with smart football .

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 10:01 pm

1/4 chicken,chips wrote:

We did well, and its a GREAT step in the right direction...but honestly, Canberra were down right dreadful
Well said Sirro
Dugan to 5/8 was never going to work and it killed their attacking options big time .
Yeah the Tigers just ran at Dugan all night Worked him over big time

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 10:04 pm

1/4 chicken,chips wrote:

Well said Sirro
I disagree...Sirro about Melbourne...we would have done them tonight.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 10:06 pm

Dugan was taken out of the game early..I think it was Blair who snapped him. Btw best game from Adam this year. He was very busy.

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 10:11 pm

Don;t know about best ever but i'm very sure it was our best ever wet weather performance.
Great kicking game completely controlled field position. Coming out of our half we played very simple and straight, at most 2 passes then kick early.
Stayed away from the sidelines and when close to their line we ran a lot of plays at their inside shoulders and made their defensive line change direction.

We have never played a smarter, more consistent 80 minute game in wet weather. The scoreline was nothing more than a bonus.
Madgic!

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 10:12 pm

stryker wrote:Dugan was taken out of the game early..I think it was Blair who snapped him. Btw best game from Adam this year. He was very busy.
I tell you what I liked about Blair tonight

I actually saw him for the first time this season throw a short ball before the line . Thats what I like about Blair when he is on song he can play before the line and thats makes him and us even more dangerous

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 10:42 pm

Canberra didn't really ask our D too many questions... Our attack was top shelf though....

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 10:46 pm

Best performance ever for mine was beating St George to get to the grand final in 05. Know it's old but I still watch the Youtube clip every so often (had game on a VHS tape!! Boohoo)

angry ant

Post by angry ant » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 11:20 pm

Best performance of the year so far, but the opposition didnt exactly challenge. Overall it would struggle to make the top 20 best performances I have seen by the Tigers.

Sorry Sabre but an opposition also needs to be at their best also for it to rank in my eyes.

Just hope complacency doesnt creep into their upcoming games...

brk53y

Post by brk53y » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 11:57 pm

angry ant wrote:Best performance of the year so far, but the opposition didnt exactly challenge. Overall it would struggle to make the top 20 best performances I have seen by the Tigers.

Sorry Sabre but an opposition also needs to be at their best also for it to rank in my eyes.

Just hope complacency doesnt creep into their upcoming games...
Really? Gee your a hard judge. Yeah Canberra we're bad tonight but we didn't take our foot off their throats for the full 80, that's why we put 40 on them. We played a controlled, patient game, something we are not really known for, in shocking weather and smashed a team at their home ground. I honestly think no matter who we played tonight we still would have won on the back of that performance.

twenty20

Post by twenty20 » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 12:36 am

Enjoyable and valuable in terms of For and Against given the inevitable bottle neck for the top eight come August. Best performance ever? Far from it, a big scoreline generally shows that there was a problem with the opposition. best performance for mine in recent years was Tigers v Melbourne at Liechhardt oval Round 25 (2010) Benji put on a master class that day.

Meevinman

Post by Meevinman » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 1:08 am

Worst thing that could come from such a landslide victory, is it all going to their heads.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 1:36 am

The reasons I rate that performance tonight are numerous:

#1 We got over and controlled a big aggresive opposition forward pack
#2 We got over and controlled a fast, skillful backline that smashed us to smitherines only 2 months ago
#3 Our ball handling was superb in very greasey conditions
#4 We defended our line against back to back sets a couple of times
#5 Our short kicking game was faultless...3 tries off 3 of the best grubbers you will ever see - at pace!
#6 All of our guns played well. It wasnt just the Benji and Robbie show (even though both were excellent)
#7 Our discipline was much improved
#8 Our completed sets were high...no stupid passes or mistakes.
#9 We were patient in attack. We forced many drop outs.
#10 We were always in control...without resorting to cocky trick plays. We played football.
#11 We were away from home...Canberra can be a difficult place to score victories.
#12 Our young 5/8 stood up and showed great promise.
#13 We played the full 80 minutes...no slacking off.
#14 We scored 40 points in poor weather
#15 We allowed no points against in poor weather...it only took one misplaced step in defence in those conditions to allow a try yet everyone covered for each other.
#16 We had an obvious game plan and followed it all game and to a tee.
#17 We havent been in that good of a form even though we have been winning
#18 Gareth Ellis wasnt out there.

It wasnt our greatest victory, to me that is still the 05 semi v Dragons...however that was a professional, polished performance that was quite unexpected. I was expecting a dour, close scoring slugfest in the wet but we ran them around and kicked behind them with precision which is the perfect way to play in those conditions. It has taken 13 weeks but finally I fully believe we can win this comp. I have always believed, but now I'm certain. I know Canberra gave us a number of leg ups with their poor handling and Ill discipline but the way we played they were never in the contest. My confidence has been restored to pre round one levels....

citizen cub

Post by citizen cub » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 8:59 am

It was the most 'complete' performance I've seen from a Tigers team in quite some while. Completions were terrific in the rain, 'go foward' was great, general play kicking was great, defence was good and attack looked promising. We've all ticked these boxes at different times, but I struggle to recall us doing them all in the same game.
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE