Coach's fears surface in loss

ImageImageImage
willow

Post by willow » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 7:08 pm

By Wayne Cousins

Tuesday 26 June 2012 8:08 AM

Tim Sheens was always worried about playing two desperate sides over the past fortnight.

Facing a Sydney Roosters side after a controversial refeering performance followed by a road trip to hostile territory to face a side looking to restore pride was enough to worry the game’s longest serving coach.

His fears were realised at Hunter Stadium last night when Newcastle ran over the top of the Wests Tigers after trailing 14-0 to win 38-20. The Knights went into the game on the back of a bye following a poor loss to Canberra at home a fortnight ago.

“I said it all week, being booed off by their crowd two weeks ago obviously stung them and they had a chance to pretty much get their full strength side on the field,’’ Sheens said.

“They were two very dangerous games. Games everyone expected us to win. Maybe there is an element of that in us but not from my point of view.

“I am always concerned about those sort of games. We’ve lost both of them now. We are treading water again and everyone is right behind us.”

Sheens said ‘everyone did their job’ early when Wests Tigers led 14-0 before a tough scrum penalty against prop Ray Cashmere following a flare up with Kane Snowden shifted the momentum of the game. The Knights ran in three tries in just over 10 minutes to lead 16-14 at half-time.

“We played well early and had some field position. From then on, we didn’t have many touches towards the back end of the first half. I think they had 11 sets on us,’’ Sheens added.

“In the second half, every ball we got we seemed to be playing out of our end. We only got three shots at them at their end, including the last one.

“It was 2-0 (at half-time) as far as we were concerned. Giving the momentum shift that happened and (what) I thought (were) a couple of tough calls, we were still in the game.

“Losing Timmy (Moltzen) shook our edges up a little and we were struggling a bit there. (Darius) Boyd took control of the edges and really worked us over so it was a bit disappointing.

“At the end of the day, that’s two weeks we have been lethargic in defence. I’m not happy at all.”

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 7:21 pm

Excuses.

Sounds like he didnt expect to win...theres a problem right there

He shouldve been treating the Roosters and Knights as if we were playing Storm & the Dogs or Manly

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 7:25 pm

Sounds like he talked himself and, therefore, the team into it. A self fulfilling prophecy!
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

russelldp

Post by russelldp » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 7:26 pm

A desperate NSW Cup team would have given WT a scare last night.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 7:35 pm

No excuses last night... Simply not good enough.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 7:45 pm

but to lose they way they did - how do you explain that!
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 8:06 pm

[quote="russelldp"]A desperate NSW Cup team would have given WT a scare last night.

Now that's stretching it a bit !

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 8:17 pm

So...........since you were worried before hand, what exactly did you to do help prepare the players?

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 10:39 pm

I think its a bit harsh to be blaming Sheens. He has quite rightly identified that the Roosters and Knights would be up for those games - but the players have not responded accordingly. It is hardly a surprise; we have seen the same from this team, particularly at this time of the year, over recent seasons. Even the ever enthusiastic Beau Ryan seemed to be down on enthusiasm last night.

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 10:46 pm

Coming off 7 wins in a row can make you complacent when playing what are perceived to be easy teams.
The bye has come at a good time.

RatedRKO

Post by RatedRKO » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 10:53 pm

Blaming Sheens is stupid, he didn't send a message for them to throw the game at 14-0.

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 11:13 pm

Knuckles wrote:Coming off 7 wins in a row can make you complacent when playing what are perceived to be easy teams.
The bye has come at a good time.
Agree 100%, we got a bit complacent, they were desperate and wanted it more.....this stuff happens, call it excuses, but it is human nature, sometimes you want and need it more, and play accordingly.

The bye is perfectly timed, and the wake up call we needed. From the start of the winning streak we needed to win badly, and the team was "up" for a long time, it is difficult to maintain. This will be time to freshen us up for the run to the finals.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Wed 27 Jun, 2012 12:36 pm

PYMBLEPETE wrote:I think its a bit harsh to be blaming Sheens. He has quite rightly identified that the Roosters and Knights would be up for those games - but the players have not responded accordingly. It is hardly a surprise; we have seen the same from this team, particularly at this time of the year, over recent seasons. Even the ever enthusiastic Beau Ryan seemed to be down on enthusiasm last night.
every team is up for every game.. and even if he has "identified" the problem, wat has he done to fix it? why do you think the players haven't responded? they are in a mindset that they won't be dropped

why does it happen every year?
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

tigerlogic

Post by tigerlogic » Wed 27 Jun, 2012 9:49 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
PYMBLEPETE wrote:I think its a bit harsh to be blaming Sheens. He has quite rightly identified that the Roosters and Knights would be up for those games - but the players have not responded accordingly. It is hardly a surprise; we have seen the same from this team, particularly at this time of the year, over recent seasons. Even the ever enthusiastic Beau Ryan seemed to be down on enthusiasm last night.
every team is up for every game.. and even if he has "identified" the problem, wat has he done to fix it? why do you think the players haven't responded? they are in a mindset that they won't be dropped

If every team was up for every game teams would never underperform! They're human, ofcourse teams (storm included) r not up every week! What a mid guided comment

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Thu 28 Jun, 2012 12:47 am

willow wrote:Coa

“I said it all week, being booed off by their crowd two weeks ago obviously stung them and they had a chance to pretty much get their full strength side on the field,’’ Sheens said.

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP.

Stung them? They came out FLAT and WERE DOWN 14-0. Cashy doesn't stuff up, they are probably down 20.

They beat us because we clocked off / didn't put it for about the 30th time under Sheens. It's a bad, bad habit........but the simple facts are that we clock off and mentally tune out of games. He's NEVER fixed it or addressed it.

What a load of weak excuses for a loss to a garabage team like Newcastle. Geez he's frustrating :brick:

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Thu 28 Jun, 2012 1:28 am

tigerlogic wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:

If every team was up for every game teams would never underperform! They're human, ofcourse teams (storm included) r not up every week! What a mid guided comment

did i say i want them to win every game? read properly.. i want them to give 100% every weeek. t
My Round 1 Team 2018

6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal

LaT

Post by LaT » Thu 28 Jun, 2012 2:33 am

What did people hope to hear?

The last line said it all.
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Thu 28 Jun, 2012 4:58 pm

LaT wrote:What did people hope to hear?

The last line said it all.
“At the end of the day, that’s two weeks we have been lethargic in defence. I’m not happy at all.”
it was like that 7 weeks ago, it was like that same time last year, the year before that and iirc in '09 as well.
playing group has changed a little, but the problems havent changed.. there is one constant...
My Round 1 Team 2018

6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal