Wests Tigers go down to Eels + Video

All First Grade related topics in regards to the off-season through to Season 2011
AmericanHistoryX

Re: Tigers vs Eels LIVE GAME THREAD

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Sat 19 Feb, 2011 10:32 pm

aaron woods looks bigger this season and pretty tall, bye bye cayless.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 19 Feb, 2011 10:39 pm

steven_tiger wrote:They'll grow on you Kul ;) Get some pics!!
They looked terrible, really faggy in white sox.
http://www.gettyimages.com.au/Search/Se ... duct=Sport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 19 Feb, 2011 10:52 pm

Very average day at the footy for the club,

Forwards looked lazy and unfit, No impact without the guns out there.

Kicking game still as terrible as ever.

No injuries a real plus but a long way to go.

Agree with Kul and Ink, those putrid white jersies are a laughing stock....we looked like gay marshmallows.

I know its only a trial but we looked well of the pace...against a side who aren't that good.

steven_tiger

Post by steven_tiger » Sat 19 Feb, 2011 10:54 pm

I actually don't mind it... which is the complete opposite reaction I had when I first saw them. The 'wave' on the front is the only thing I don't like.

Fifita looks like he's shrunk about 10kgs too.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:06 pm

steven_tiger wrote:
Fifita looks like he's shrunk about 10kgs too.
Yeh my thoughts too

Gobbs

Post by Gobbs » Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:09 pm

Fi Fi Box's workrate was brilliant. Did a lot of defence. Galloway snotted almost everyone that ran his way. Tagive was solid, showed good confidence under the high ball. Brown too was strong from the back. Good hit out by Woods too.

No injuries, that's all I wanted. Improvement needed? Hell yes. that's the beauty of trials. Opportunity to blow the cobwebs out. Wests certainly have quite a few to clear out before Round 1. Let's hope they can clear the remainder out next week against the Chookies.
Still the Official #1 Kevin 'Buddha' McGuinness Supporter ©

Danos

Post by Danos » Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:14 pm

Did Rocky turn out for Wests & WT?

tigers05

Post by tigers05 » Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:18 pm

I went to the game it just seemed parra had more to play for than what we did. They definitely we more enthuisastic and the run of play showed that, we seemed off the pace. The punchup on fulltime on the eastern side of the ground was more entertaining at least the crowd got involved at that point.

tigers05

Post by tigers05 » Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:21 pm

Was talking to someone in the club tonight and Jason Cayless has gone. All I say is good riddance he hasn't been picked up by another club at this point.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:32 pm

tigers05 wrote:Was talking to someone in the club tonight and Jason Cayless has gone. All I say is good riddance he hasn't been picked up by another club at this point.
Good riddance?
You make it sound like he was injured on purpose, get a clue mate

Gobbs

Post by Gobbs » Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:33 pm

Yep Danos. Trimarchi played for both Maggies and WT's
Still the Official #1 Kevin 'Buddha' McGuinness Supporter ©

tigers05

Post by tigers05 » Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:38 pm

innsaneink wrote:
tigers05 wrote:Was talking to someone in the club tonight and Jason Cayless has gone. All I say is good riddance he hasn't been picked up by another club at this point.
Good riddance?
You make it sound like he was injured on purpose, get a clue mate
Just stating that he added no value whatsoever and the coin can be better spent elsewhere so yep good riddance :D

KingOvKingz09

Post by KingOvKingz09 » Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:54 pm

soo...heigno played pathetic...
didnt seem like he wanted to be there....was to slow in defence....
... our best players to me were ' lui, dwyer, J.Moors, fifita, maybe even woods
just seemed like the boys werent there to play 2nite...
brown looked good in FB and Utai made some solid runs...

better to get the $h!t out of us now then in the middle of the season.
Im back!! oh its true.... Its damn true!!!

Icon

Post by Icon » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 12:03 am

the positives i take:

That's the best i've seen Benji play first up in a new year.., looked very sharp to me, threw some beautifull passes.

The young forwards wen't well - Woods, Fifita and Dwyer.

Lui is looking good, thought he played well in the second half.

We kept them scoreless in the second half.

Benji, Lawrence and Lote combined well.

NO INJURIES, GOOD CROWD.

No need to point out the negatives as others already have.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 12:07 am

Positives:

Woods was great, Dwyer looking to get involved, ayshford played well, fifita looking trim as, we couldn't play any worse

Negatives:

Terrible terrible ruck defense, Casey McGuire looked like Benny Elias out there. I thought moors was terrible in defense, brownwas way too hesitatant at the back, greatly out enthused. I know it was only a trial but one turned up to play Footy and the other looked like they genuinely didn't want to be out there. Was disappointed with the attitude

Kul

Post by Kul » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 12:15 am

Moors' defence was my real negative for the night
He let in tackle after tackle i the opening 20 resulting in two very soft tries.
He was pulled and I don't recall him coming back on.

Deadset from the kickoff he looked lost.
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

willow

Post by willow » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 12:40 am

As everyone now knows, the Tigers were ordinary tonight. Cause for concern? Not really, the Tigers put in a similar effort against the Roosters last year and were flogged accordingly and tonight was no different. You could tell Parramatta were going to have a decent crack as they gathered around for a deep and meaningful huddle just before kickoff. The Tigers weren't sighted until they took the field.

The Eels got out of the blocks quickly and really got a roll on with some early penalties and forcing the Tigers to come deep out of their own half. The crack down on play the ball infringements also hurt the Tigers with Lawrence penalised in the first half. Tigers defence around the ruck was soft at times as the heat and lack of match fitness took their toll, and they clearly missed the likes of Gibbs, Payten, Ellis and Fulton who are all noted defenders.

Anyway, I'll give a quick cap on the players and how I thought they went tonight:

1. Wade McKinnon - Not really impressed by him tonight. Running on old legs and watching him struggling to chase down Hindmarsh and then get swatted off like a fly was poor. Did not play in the second half and he would want to improve next week or otherwise Brown should be fullback for round 1.

2. Lote Tuqiri - Limited opportunities in attack as it was all the Eels in the first half, but his combo with Lawrence is as good as ever and will be a potent force again this year.

3. Blake Ayshford - Still does not use his winger enough but made a couple of strong runs in the first half and did not play in the second half.

4. Chris Lawrence - Looked ok, nothing too flash but Lawrence was solid for the most part and played some 5/8 in the second half when Benji came off. Was rested with 20 minutes remaining.

5. Mitch Brown - Made a fumble in the first half on the wing but looked more comfortable at fullback in the second half and I'd have him there for round 1. Has a LOT more pace than Mckinnon, his positioning looked pretty sound and he brought the ball back at speed.

6. Benji Marshall - Didn't do a lot but looked dangerous whenever he touched the ball. Threw a great pass for Tuqiri's first try but gave the Eels their first try by trying to knock the ball back to someone and was also brushed off by Hindmarsh on the world's slowest 85 metre run.

7. Robert Lui - A bit hit and miss. Looked slick during some pieces of play and came up with mistakes at other times. Defensively he did not seem to have any big issues, it was more his timing in attack which suffered at times, but is sure to improve.

8. Junior Moors - Average unfortunately. Looks a great prospect in the backrow in State Cup when used out wide, but fails to stand out when carting it up the middle. Unable to get away any offloads and defensively he was caught out a couple of times.

9. Robbie Farah - Played big minutes and looked fine out there.

10. Keith Galloway - Defensively he pulled off a couple of big hits and was ok in attack when he ran the ball. As we know he'll work his way into top form with match fitness and more miles in those long legs of his.

11. Simon Dwyer - Defensively he looked ok but in attack he was quiet. Played about 60 minutes.

12. Mark Flanagan - Average. Did nothing in attack but worked very hard in defence during the first half when the Tigers were under the pump. Should go well for BRET. Fulton has him covered and there's not enough room for both players given their similar build and position.

13. Chris Heighington - I thought Heighno went alright. Ran hard as usual and came up with a couple of solid tackles out there. Also played decent miniutes, coming off after close to 60 minutes from memory.

Interchange
14. Aaron Woods - First grade is not beyond this young giant and he looked comfortable out there and got through good work in the middle in defence, and also made ok metres in attack. I expect him to debut early this season, possibly in round 1 if Gibbs and Payten are still missing. Second best prop for the Tigers tonight behind Galloway.

15. Geoff Daniela - Came on in the second half and didn't do much. A couple of runs which led to nothing and will be there for depth in the event of injuries to Ayshford/Lawrence.

16. Matt Utai - Played in the backrow in the first half, then played in the centres and wing in the second half. Knee high to a grass hopper but had a couple of strong runs. Still cannot see why he was signed but it's clear he will be given a decent run in BRET from the looks of it.

17. Sean Meaney - Came on with about 13 to go and played at hooker from what I could tell.

18. Jarred Farlow - Played the last 15 minutes or so and looked ok in the backrow.

19. Jacob Miller - This kid looks sharp, good speed, good footwork, good vision and a good kicking game. Not sure whether he will play in the Toyota Cup or State Cup, but he could very well make his debut this year if injuries strike the halves.

20. Matt Hyland - Defended busily around the ruck for the last 10 minutes, that was about it.

21. Sam Latu - Played the last 10 minutes, hard to rate him based on that but he likes to get stuck in and hit the ball up.

23. Alan Schirnack - Looked a little leaner than last year and went ok, but I don't think we'll see him in FG unless the props get decimated.

24. Matt Ryan - Played the last 10 minutes or so and looked ok out there.

25. Jason Schirnack - Played about the last 20 minutes and looked alright.

26. Ratu Tagive - Went well in the second half I thought. Played right wing to start and finished the game at fullback and didn't look out of place at all. Like Miller it will be interesting to see whether he plays in the 20's or for BRET. Could even jag a wing spot in FG at some stage if injuries strike.

27. Rocky Trimarchi - Played the last 5 minutes.

28. Josh Davis - Played the last 10 minutes in the backrow.

31. Andrew Pearn - Played the last 10 or 15 minutes and looked alright out there I thought.

41. Andrew Fifita - Thought it was David originally but he was sitting in the bay across from me. Andrew looked ok out there, he looks to have trimmed down and worked hard in defence and had a couple of decent runs, but his defence around the ruck struggled when the big fella's engine started to overheat out there. Should offer good impact off the bench once again although Aaron Woods got the better of him tonight IMO.

It's hard to rate the players who came on the for last 15 minutes or so as the game degenerated in the heat and got quite scrappy.

Woods probably impressed me the most out of the young guys. Ratu Tagive looked pretty sharp in the second half and Brown looks better at fullback than McKinnon. Moltzen and Ryan were both sitting in the stand and could be inclusions next week, but I'd say Ryan will be under plenty of pressure this season with Brown, Daniela and possibly young Tagive breathing down his neck.

Hard to take too much away from tonight as the Eels clearly wanted to win while the Tigers looked lethargic in comparison and seemed content to gain match fitness and try some new combinations out. It was a similar performance to the Foundation Cup last year so it will be interesting to see if they try and up the tempo next week or just use it as another training run.

The best thing in the end was no injuries to any of the players. Hope this brief review was helpful to those who couldn't make it to the game.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 12:46 am

Anybody saying miller looked sharp is going off his reputation, he showed little in either game and is nowhere near first grade