Wests Tigers go down to Eels + Video

All First Grade related topics in regards to the off-season through to Season 2011
willow

Re: Tigers vs Eels LIVE GAME THREAD

Post by willow » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 12:50 am

fergiefurr wrote:Anybody saying miller looked sharp is going off his reputation, he showed little in either game and is nowhere near first grade
I respectfully disagree. Thought he handled himself well out there for the last 20 and looks to be a good prospect for the future.

Tiger Tim from 'Gong

Post by Tiger Tim from 'Gong » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 12:54 am

willow wrote: 24. Matt Ryan - Played the last 10 minutes or so and looked ok out there.
Was he the massively tall bloke? Like I'm talking he towered over everyone else on the field....was insane

Also, adding to Willow's mentions of Moltzen and Ryan, Ellis was interviewed on the field at half time and says he hopes to be right for next week, but if not then definately Round one

willow

Post by willow » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 1:02 am

Tiger Tim from 'Gong wrote:
willow wrote: 24. Matt Ryan - Played the last 10 minutes or so and looked ok out there.
Was he the massively tall bloke? Like I'm talking he towered over everyone else on the field....was insane

Also, adding to Willow's mentions of Moltzen and Ryan, Ellis was interviewed on the field at half time and says he hopes to be right for next week, but if not then definately Round one
Yep, the lanky bloke was Ryan.

Also, Peni Tagive looked pretty chummy talking to Farah and co. in the Tigers players area at the game. Yes, I know his younger brother played tonight, but could a return to Tiger town be on the cards for next year?

Kul

Post by Kul » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 1:37 am

willow wrote:
fergiefurr wrote:Anybody saying miller looked sharp is going off his reputation, he showed little in either game and is nowhere near first grade
I respectfully disagree. Thought he handled himself well out there for the last 20 and looks to be a good prospect for the future.
Have to agree with willow on this
Miller looked the goods
I caught some footage of him breaking tackles and putting up a solid bomb. Only two plays, but they were confident plays for a kid his age

am uploading it now
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 2:25 am

Dam, Fifita looks real in shape in the pictures on getty images.
and i gotta agree, these new jerseys are atrocious, last years were the go.
tzzt, not happy.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

DREW76

Post by DREW76 » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 7:06 am

lui was/is very average. Hopefully moltzen gets a run soon
Glad we werent playing for points!

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 7:52 am

A couple of observations about last night ..Woods will be playing 1st grade this season ..there is no comparison Tagive is all over Ryan..Moors to reggies Utai taking up space for a youngster no value ..McKinnon has to get the finger out as Brown has the 1 sown up.Make no mistake we finally have a 1/2 back in the club Jacob Miller no doudt has the goods whether he puts in at lower grade level remains to be seen but let me say now if he does it's only a matter of time before he is our 1st string 1/2 and of corse if Sheens gives hime a go !. No injuries last night and it showcased a few newies other than that it was a training run .How hot was it!!

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 8:44 am

This is the best result for us in my opinion. A bad loss and no injuries is exactly what we need leading into the season. Nothing like a good old fashioned wake up call to stop all of us (even us fans) from believing what we read. Complacency, along with low moral, is like cancer in a club, and the best way to get rid of complacency is to be brought back down to earth.

I expect a better performance next week but i expect us to lose. Then round one we will have a good win over the Dogs.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 9:03 am

willow wrote:As everyone now knows, the Tigers were ordinary tonight. Cause for concern? Not really, the Tigers put in a similar effort against the Roosters last year and were flogged accordingly and tonight was no different. You could tell Parramatta were going to have a decent crack as they gathered around for a deep and meaningful huddle just before kickoff. The Tigers weren't sighted until they took the field.

The Eels got out of the blocks quickly and really got a roll on with some early penalties and forcing the Tigers to come deep out of their own half. The crack down on play the ball infringements also hurt the Tigers with Lawrence penalised in the first half. Tigers defence around the ruck was soft at times as the heat and lack of match fitness took their toll, and they clearly missed the likes of Gibbs, Payten, Ellis and Fulton who are all noted defenders.

Anyway, I'll give a quick cap on the players and how I thought they went tonight:

1. Wade McKinnon - Not really impressed by him tonight. Running on old legs and watching him struggling to chase down Hindmarsh and then get swatted off like a fly was poor. Did not play in the second half and he would want to improve next week or otherwise Brown should be fullback for round 1.

2. Lote Tuqiri - Limited opportunities in attack as it was all the Eels in the first half, but his combo with Lawrence is as good as ever and will be a potent force again this year.

3. Blake Ayshford - Still does not use his winger enough but made a couple of strong runs in the first half and did not play in the second half.

4. Chris Lawrence - Looked ok, nothing too flash but Lawrence was solid for the most part and played some 5/8 in the second half when Benji came off. Was rested with 20 minutes remaining.

5. Mitch Brown - Made a fumble in the first half on the wing but looked more comfortable at fullback in the second half and I'd have him there for round 1. Has a LOT more pace than Mckinnon, his positioning looked pretty sound and he brought the ball back at speed.

6. Benji Marshall - Didn't do a lot but looked dangerous whenever he touched the ball. Threw a great pass for Tuqiri's first try but gave the Eels their first try by trying to knock the ball back to someone and was also brushed off by Hindmarsh on the world's slowest 85 metre run.

7. Robert Lui - A bit hit and miss. Looked slick during some pieces of play and came up with mistakes at other times. Defensively he did not seem to have any big issues, it was more his timing in attack which suffered at times, but is sure to improve.

8. Junior Moors - Average unfortunately. Looks a great prospect in the backrow in State Cup when used out wide, but fails to stand out when carting it up the middle. Unable to get away any offloads and defensively he was caught out a couple of times.

9. Robbie Farah - Played big minutes and looked fine out there.

10. Keith Galloway - Defensively he pulled off a couple of big hits and was ok in attack when he ran the ball. As we know he'll work his way into top form with match fitness and more miles in those long legs of his.

11. Simon Dwyer - Defensively he looked ok but in attack he was quiet. Played about 60 minutes.

12. Mark Flanagan - Average. Did nothing in attack but worked very hard in defence during the first half when the Tigers were under the pump. Should go well for BRET. Fulton has him covered and there's not enough room for both players given their similar build and position.

13. Chris Heighington - I thought Heighno went alright. Ran hard as usual and came up with a couple of solid tackles out there. Also played decent miniutes, coming off after close to 60 minutes from memory.

Interchange
14. Aaron Woods - First grade is not beyond this young giant and he looked comfortable out there and got through good work in the middle in defence, and also made ok metres in attack. I expect him to debut early this season, possibly in round 1 if Gibbs and Payten are still missing. Second best prop for the Tigers tonight behind Galloway.

15. Geoff Daniela - Came on in the second half and didn't do much. A couple of runs which led to nothing and will be there for depth in the event of injuries to Ayshford/Lawrence.

16. Matt Utai - Played in the backrow in the first half, then played in the centres and wing in the second half. Knee high to a grass hopper but had a couple of strong runs. Still cannot see why he was signed but it's clear he will be given a decent run in BRET from the looks of it.

17. Sean Meaney - Came on with about 13 to go and played at hooker from what I could tell.

18. Jarred Farlow - Played the last 15 minutes or so and looked ok in the backrow.

19. Jacob Miller - This kid looks sharp, good speed, good footwork, good vision and a good kicking game. Not sure whether he will play in the Toyota Cup or State Cup, but he could very well make his debut this year if injuries strike the halves.

20. Matt Hyland - Defended busily around the ruck for the last 10 minutes, that was about it.

21. Sam Latu - Played the last 10 minutes, hard to rate him based on that but he likes to get stuck in and hit the ball up.

23. Alan Schirnack - Looked a little leaner than last year and went ok, but I don't think we'll see him in FG unless the props get decimated.

24. Matt Ryan - Played the last 10 minutes or so and looked ok out there.

25. Jason Schirnack - Played about the last 20 minutes and looked alright.

26. Ratu Tagive - Went well in the second half I thought. Played right wing to start and finished the game at fullback and didn't look out of place at all. Like Miller it will be interesting to see whether he plays in the 20's or for BRET. Could even jag a wing spot in FG at some stage if injuries strike.

27. Rocky Trimarchi - Played the last 5 minutes.

28. Josh Davis - Played the last 10 minutes in the backrow.

31. Andrew Pearn - Played the last 10 or 15 minutes and looked alright out there I thought.

41. Andrew Fifita - Thought it was David originally but he was sitting in the bay across from me. Andrew looked ok out there, he looks to have trimmed down and worked hard in defence and had a couple of decent runs, but his defence around the ruck struggled when the big fella's engine started to overheat out there. Should offer good impact off the bench once again although Aaron Woods got the better of him tonight IMO.

It's hard to rate the players who came on the for last 15 minutes or so as the game degenerated in the heat and got quite scrappy.

Woods probably impressed me the most out of the young guys. Ratu Tagive looked pretty sharp in the second half and Brown looks better at fullback than McKinnon. Moltzen and Ryan were both sitting in the stand and could be inclusions next week, but I'd say Ryan will be under plenty of pressure this season with Brown, Daniela and possibly young Tagive breathing down his neck.

Hard to take too much away from tonight as the Eels clearly wanted to win while the Tigers looked lethargic in comparison and seemed content to gain match fitness and try some new combinations out. It was a similar performance to the Foundation Cup last year so it will be interesting to see if they try and up the tempo next week or just use it as another training run.

The best thing in the end was no injuries to any of the players. Hope this brief review was helpful to those who couldn't make it to the game.

I wasnt at the game so i have to trust the judgements of those who were there and your reports are usually very accurate. So that being said, im close to giving up any hope of McKinnon being the fullback we are looking for. I'll reserve judgemnet until i see him with my own eyes next week, but its starting to appear he will be a wasted signing. Wade was very good at his peak, but it appears that was some time ago.

I have a feeling Sheens will give Moltz another chance as a fullback at some stage and i really hope he grabs it. His running game and his ability to use the ball is perfect for fullback. Obviously he needs to improve on a few things, but thats possible.

I like brown very much, but for some reason i have a gut feeling that he's the perfect "back up" player, not the star starter. I would love to see someone electrifying play some minutes at fullback next week in an experiment, maybe Daniela.

But so far, in my eyes, McKinnon is behind Brown and Meaney, and im of the strong belief Moltz, Daniela would be better options too if given the chance.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

cunno

Post by cunno » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 9:31 am

Not too much that can be added to this comprehensive thread. To repeat, glad there were no injuries that have been mentioned. The heat was shocking and seemed to get hotter as the night went on but Parra had to play in it as well and they busted WTs many times through the middle in the first half. This would be a concern but there are still a number of players to come back, saw Gibbs, Payto and Ellis in the club before the game, they will make a huge difference. On a side note, there was a pretty good crowd there for a trial so it would have been a good opportunity to stamp interest and enthusiasm amongst the local supporters for the coming season but that wasn't capitalised upon. Will head off to the SFS next week and hope for a better result.

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 9:46 am

Media reports are stating we both ran out full strength teams..... Lol we were missing 70 % of our forward pack and it's a trial. Parra love to talk themselves up.

Discussion Bot

Post by Discussion Bot » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 9:55 am

Missing key stars Gareth Ellis, Tim Moltzen, Todd Payten, Bryce Giibs and Liam Fulton, Wests Tigers went down to visitors Parramatta 30-10 at Campbelltown Stadium on Saturday night in humid and hot conditions.You can watch a 15 minute selected highlights clip from the game here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdVlm1dRs94

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 10:13 am

Snake wrote: Utai taking up space for a youngster no value ..
I disagree Snake.... he is perfect to gain the Tigers a couple of penalties a match from accidental head highs against him. :lol:

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 10:16 am

Discussion Bot wrote:Missing key stars Gareth Ellis, Tim Moltzen, Todd Payten, Bryce Giibs and Liam Fulton, Wests Tigers went down to visitors Parramatta 30-10 at Campbelltown Stadium on Saturday night in humid and hot conditions.You can watch a 15 minute selected highlights clip from the game here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdVlm1dRs94

Fantastic work Discussion Bot!! Who ever you are...

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 10:17 am

king sirro wrote:I have a feeling Sheens will give Moltz another chance as a fullback at some stage and i really hope he grabs it. His running game and his ability to use the ball is perfect for fullback. Obviously he needs to improve on a few things, but thats possible.
One part of a fullbacks job is kick returns, so if you want to LOSE metres instead of gaining them in this situation, then Moltzen is perfect.

Sorry, but Moltzen is not a fullback, not in the slightest.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 10:21 am

Snowy wrote:Media reports are stating we both ran out full strength teams..... Lol we were missing 70 % of our forward pack and it's a trial. Parra love to talk themselves up.
Parra arent talking themselves up, Marshall pre match and the media post match are - deservedly, they were all over us.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 10:22 am

That was great guys.... Awesome to see some of the younger boys play.

Thankyou!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 10:26 am

Poor ol Mitch Brown putting his hand up.....gunna be doing a lot of that outside Ayshford this year, catching colds