Venue: Parramatta Stadium, Parramatta
Telecast: Ch.9
willow

RUCK AREA STILL A CONCERN FOR TIM SHEENS

Post by willow » Thu 07 Jul, 2011 7:37 pm

RUCK AREA STILL A CONCERN FOR TIM SHEENS
By Wayne Cousins
7/07/2011 12:58:53 PM

Wests Tigers Head Coach Tim Sheens is hoping the clean up in the ruck area by referees last weekend will continue at Parramatta Stadium on Friday night for the vital round 18 clash against the Eels.

Sheens expressed his concern over the ruck area in a letter to referees boss Bill Harrigan following losses to the Melbourne Storm and the Bulldogs at home.

“There is no doubt we were Jiu Jitsued out of the last couple of games,’’ Sheens said.

“I made that comment to the referees and we got a letter from them saying that was going to change last weekend and it did. You saw more penalties and a slightly quicker ruck. I am not looking for anything special, none of the coaches are. We are just wanting a balance and it had gone the other way in my opinion.

“Both home games we were really wrestled hard at the ground to stop Farah and our halves from operating.

“It is hard to get a penalty at Parramatta Stadium. The last two games, Parramatta have given away 1 to St George-Illawarra and 2 to Brisbane, so they are the least penalised side in the competition at the moment.

“They are fairly discipline so they are not doing too many things wrong. I haven’t seen too many problems at the ruck. We just want a fair go, the same as any side does.

“Parramatta will work hard to limit Farah’s opportunities and we will be working hard to get some speed in the play the ball.”

Match Day Info
Gates open: 5.10pm
NYC Kick-off:5.20pm
NRL Kick-off: 7.30pm.

cunno

Post by cunno » Thu 07 Jul, 2011 7:47 pm

Parramatta will work hard to limit Farah’s opportunities and we will be working hard to get some speed in the play the ball.”

In other words, Bill harrigan are you listening, will you instruct your refs to police the ruck area to stop players slowing down the play the ball and markers standing where ever they like AND if the marker is not standing correctly and the dummy half is tackled by that marker then penalise him, yes it's still against the rules to do that. Stop allowing the players to slow the game down so you (refs) don't have to work as hard to keep up.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 07 Jul, 2011 8:56 pm

Maybe if we just do what the other teams are doing.....oh.....yeahhhhh

cunno

Post by cunno » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 6:57 am

Maybe if the refs referee according to the rules or is it the case they prefer to referee to suit the styles of particular teams- no that wouldn't happen, would it??

sunshine coast tiger

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 7:33 am

In my opinion Sheens has every right to be mad at the ruck area. For mine I like the way it was refereed in 2005, allowing very quick play the balls. You watch the highlights from that year, some of the best attacking rugby league was played that I have seen in my many years watching the game.

We won 2005 because Sheens took full advantage of the quick ruck, I for one have said many times that Sheens has been here too long but I will never doubt he came up with the plan that won us a competition.

The speed of 2005 didn't suit a lot of clubs that had invested in big and slow forwards and pressure was put on to slow down the play the ball (it is becoming like touch football etc was used). They brought in the dominate and surrender tackle calls, for mine they have both been misused by refs to allow for slower play the balls. I for one thing the surrender tackle should never be made if the player has made metres carrying the ball.

From 2006-2009 it was wrestling in and slowing down the play the ball that was in vogue and it went to far. The standard of football in these years was very poor.

2010 with the 2 refs saw the ruck speed up again and started to result in better rugby league being played.

As far as I was aware no decision was made to allow more wresting in the ruck in 2011 but that was what has happened. Our last 2 games against the Storm and Bulldogs should have seen the referees blow the pea out of the whistle to give us massive amounts of penalties. Both those 2 sides deliberately slowed down the ruck very badly.

I for one is glad Sheens is trying to put pressure back on the referees. A fast ruck helps the way we play

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 8:37 am

When isn't our ruck area a concern . Seriously they could of run this story in virtually any season since the Tigers inception

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 9:07 am

I'm with Tim on this one ........ the ruck area has become a farce.
No wonder Robbie is so frustrated.

cunno

Post by cunno » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 1:00 pm

I would have to wonder whether it suits the refs to have slow ruck speed as they are able to keep up with the game better and it's easier for them. Frustrating to watch though.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 1:06 pm

I have a revolutionary idea: adapt to the changes.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

cunno

Post by cunno » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 1:10 pm

or stick to the rules maybe, or have they been rewritten?

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 3:02 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:I have a revolutionary idea: adapt to the changes.
It worked in 2005...so it must work now, right? ;)

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 6:55 pm

No mention of any ju jitsuing last night or today.....glad that problem's solved.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 8:49 pm

innsaneink wrote:No mention of any ju jitsuing last night or today.....glad that problem's solved.
I just had a jiu-jitsu add pop up on the web site though. Jiu-Jitsu is taking over folks.

I wonder if we have a Jiu-Jitsu coach. Melbourne have had one for years. Is Sheens against it ?

Montague Street

Post by Montague Street » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 8:58 pm

My understanding is that the tigers do not have a grappling coach.
In any event they do not use the basic grappling techniques (like side control) when tackling at all.
That is my main criticism of Sheens.

Posted using RoarFEED
Rugby League: The Game They Play in Hell

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 9:16 pm

Montague Street wrote:My understanding is that the tigers do not have a grappling coach.
In any event they do not use the basic grappling techniques (like side control) when tackling at all.

Posted using RoarFEED
And why should we have a wrestling \ju jitsu \grappling coach Every year the NRL says it will fix this problem up . What do they do instead worry about The corner post , scrums , whether your toe nail is behind the line or over the line . Lets not concentrate on the 10 metres , holding down in the ruck because it is too hard The Independant Commission can't happen fast enough for this little black duck .The current NRL hierachy are more useless than the Tigers hierachy (if that is possible)

angeman

Post by angeman » Sun 10 Jul, 2011 9:23 am

happy tiger wrote:
Montague Street wrote:My understanding is that the tigers do not have a grappling coach.

Posted using RoarFEED
And why should we have a wrestling \ju jitsu \grappling coach Every year the NRL says it will fix this problem up . What do they do instead worry about The corner post , scrums , whether your toe nail is behind the line or over the line . Lets not concentrate on the 10 metres , holding down in the ruck because it is too hard The Independant Commission can't happen fast enough for this little black duck .The current NRL hierachy are more useless than the Tigers hierachy (if that is possible)
but every year the wrestling continues so sheens should get over it and hire a wrestling coach like everyone else. it can't make us any worse!

cunno

Post by cunno » Sun 10 Jul, 2011 9:51 am

Rugby league is as much about entertainment as sport these days and I can't see how the NRL thinks that wrestling, holding down in the tackle and slowing down the ruck is entertaining, it very frustrating to watch as a spectator. Too many people influence how the game is played whom it looks like support this and when Gould said on the sunday Roast a while ago that he spoke to harrigan about policing different parts of the game (some referred to by Happy above) it is easy to be disappointed that the flow of the game can be dictated by some, Gould only an example no doubt there are others.

Wrestling should be left to the WWE.

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 10 Jul, 2011 10:23 am

innsaneink wrote:Maybe if we just do what the other teams are doing.....oh.....yeahhhhh
no ink , we will whinge about it ,, we have always been behind the other sides when it comes to controlling the ruck..our players dont know how to slow it down .....