•  Recent Topics
ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7.30pm Saturday 16 July
Venue: Dairy Farmers Stadium, Townsville
Telecast: Fox Sports
barra

Re: Thoughts on Lui

Post by barra » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 9:25 am

Much better in defence and some better kicks. Hopefully his progress is getting back on track because it seemed to have stalled for some time. Taking correct options will come in time but patience is needed with a young player.

I think he still shows a lot of promise but for mine here's a few things that need improvement:

He still struggles with his short kicking game at times and kicks it straight to the one spot where he shouldn't kick it (down the fullback/winger's throat - they don't even have to move).

His ball-catching from kick-offs is simply bad technique. You shouldn't catch the ball to the side of your body because it allows for it to go straight through the arms especially when it is wet which is what it did to him. Instead he should be positoning himself directly under the ball and taking it in copybook style.

When passing he still needs to release the ball a half-second earlier at times. I understand that delaying the pass helps to commit the defence but too often his passes get knocked down or deflected. If he can increase his leg speed with the ball in hand it will give him the extra time before the line but at the moment he tends to move slowly and it doesn't suit a dynamic attacking style like the WT like to use.

In the meantime I guess like everyone else I'll be quick to criticise when he stuffs up - it's the nature of a supporter...

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 11:46 am

Sick of everyone on here saying that Lui's our 'best option'.

'Option' implies that there is a choice.

If there was a choice it would have to be Miller hands down. (At least it would eliminate

Sheens is either choosing to ignore 'options' or has a gun held to his head. Being that I generally trust Sheens's judgment, I will go with the latter.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:26 pm

happy tiger wrote:
tigertales wrote:
happy tiger wrote:He will get picked next week but probably shouldn't Took a heap of bad options in attack The pass to Fulton was just plain stupidity . Dropped kick off benefit of the doubt due to slippery conditions . His defence seemed improved tonight . I just lack confidence in him and cringe every time he touched the ball now
You and Daley should watch the game a bit closer. That pass to Fulton was on the last when he tried to take the line on and got caught what was he suppose to do die with the ball. He was ok tonight, not good just ok and he is our best option at the moment.
My point is your coach had just told him to play a simple game plan (which the sideline eye said straight after Tonga scored). So how does he respond .
Instead of drilling the ball into the corner in wet conditions and make the Cowboys earn there way out of there own half ,he decides to run the ball on the last and then throws a pass that puts the next player (not a noted kicker ) under more pressure .
Is that what you want our playmaker doing when you are up by eight in the pouring rain when you are sitting on a 3 game losing stretch Tigertales and CB . Common sense says NO .
the sideline eye is just fluff.
sheens had a game plan of running it on the last to bring the wingers up.highlighted by the ayshford try.
we started the game with farah running out of dummy half on the last and throwing a bad ball to lui.
at first i thought he was just a little carried away becuase the markers were caught out.
but then benji did it a little later when lui broke through.
lui did it again before half time and then again straight after half time.

we ran it 4 times in just over 40mins.surely that is from sheens when we do it that many times.
even though i believe sheens had this as his plan,lui needed to show better judgement.
the play was never on,and i think he just went for it no matter what.

defense was probably his best game of the season.he still needs to work harder at marker though.seems content on just making a tackle instead of putting on some pressure at marker to follow up.

kicked his first kick straight to bowen but was all class after.
showed a good array of kicks,got a repeat set from 20 out and a try followed.
kicked from half way and it finished a yard inside the dead ball.
kicked inside his 40 and put it 2 yards from the dead ball line after a bad bounce that would have got a 40-20.

really needs to cut down the errors,but it was a step in the right direction.

magpie2tiger

Post by magpie2tiger » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:39 pm

After looking at again pass to fulton was on.there was an overlap.lui did ok

Posted using RoarFEED

The Shiraz Tiger

Post by The Shiraz Tiger » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 1:00 pm

Ok I'm going to say it, I'm a Lui fan. There, I feel better now. I actually think he is a good player. He is extremely young and still developing. I know he's suspect in defence but few halfbacks are great defenders. He has pace and I believe, showing signs of vision. His biggest problem is that he plays in amongst and quite often in the shadows of the likes of Farrah and Marshall who dominate the Tigers game. I think this makes him conflicted in that we all want him to take control of the team, bark at the forwards and direct everyone around the field, but then you have Benji doing, well doing what Benji does. He is trying to find that measure of getting the ball to Marshall whenever he wants it, letting Farrah take some control every now and then and to also let himself play his own game. That's a lot for a young halfback who I think is still yet to fully tap into his own natural ability. He will get better. I already think development has started and we will see some more mature and patient games from him over the coming weeks. One thing I would love to see him do more of is to run off some of our off loading forwards.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 1:28 pm

happy tiger wrote:
tigertales wrote:
happy tiger wrote:He will get picked next week but probably shouldn't Took a heap of bad options in attack The pass to Fulton was just plain stupidity . Dropped kick off benefit of the doubt due to slippery conditions . His defence seemed improved tonight . I just lack confidence in him and cringe every time he touched the ball now
You and Daley should watch the game a bit closer. That pass to Fulton was on the last when he tried to take the line on and got caught what was he suppose to do die with the ball. He was ok tonight, not good just ok and he is our best option at the moment.
My point is your coach had just told him to play a simple game plan (which the sideline eye said straight after Tonga scored). So how does he respond .
Instead of drilling the ball into the corner in wet conditions and make the Cowboys earn there way out of there own half ,he decides to run the ball on the last and then throws a pass that puts the next player (not a noted kicker ) under more pressure .
Is that what you want our playmaker doing when you are up by eight in the pouring rain when you are sitting on a 3 game losing stretch Tigertales and CB . Common sense says NO .
That's a fair assessment also HT, but the pass to Fulton was on and had he cut Fulton out and hit Ayshford on the chest he would have streaked away IMO.

You could also argue that an 8 year veteran in Fulton should know how to hit a player on the chest with a fairly simple pass. It's all interpretative. I think Fulton was in the wrong there and Lui did well to get it across.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one mate! :P
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Goose

Post by Goose » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 2:38 pm

the result of the play was bad, but the option wasn't terrible. By running the ball from time to time we drag the wingers up, which makes other kicks more effective, there were numbers there, fulton telegraphs his passes and has a long wind up, making him a bit of an intercept candidate, if he executes a bit better, we probably charge down field and ask some questions at the other end.

Overall think lui did a good job

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 3:27 pm

How long does a guy have to have potential for before you cut your losses and realize that he never lived up to it?
What if he is just as bad next year?

Fair go guys, we took a punt on him and it didn't work.

Any team with real premiership ambition would NEVER give a halfback two full seasons in first grade just to see if he matures.

Once our fans have the mentality that missing the finals means absolute failure, only then will we be ruthless with expendable players. We won't want to have 3 seasons in the doldrums EVER!
Manchester United do not tolerate it. The Lakers do not tolerate it. The Crusaders do not tolerate it.
You know who tolerates it? LOSING TEAMS, LIKE US.

Lui supporters MUST realize that he IS a liability and MUST stop accepting that our team deserves to miss the playoffs every ear.

A two year experiment at this level is way too long.

RANT OVER.......
for now.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 3:33 pm

bigsiro wrote:How long does a guy have to have potential for before you cut your losses and realize that he never lived up to it?
What if he is just as bad next year?

Fair go guys, we took a punt on him and it didn't work.

Any team with real premiership ambition would NEVER give a halfback two full seasons in first grade just to see if he matures.

Once our fans have the mentality that missing the finals means absolute failure, only then will we be ruthless with expendable players. We won't want to have 3 seasons in the doldrums EVER!
Manchester United do not tolerate it. The Lakers do not tolerate it. The Crusaders do not tolerate it.
You know who tolerates it? LOSING TEAMS, LIKE US.

Lui supporters MUST realize that he IS a liability and MUST stop accepting that our team deserves to miss the playoffs every ear.

A two year experiment at this level is way too long.

RANT OVER.......
for now.
You're talking about the same halfback that was in the side that got to one point within the grand final last year.

Johnny Morris got three years there to prove himself, it's only fair Lui does too :shock:
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 5:11 pm

Not a first grade halfback at the moment - and hasn't been for a long time.
Made his defence stats look good by coming in on guys already stopped in their tracks.
He has the bad habit of leaving someone else to tackle someone with the ball in hand while trying to second guess who he might pass it to next and covering them.
We NEED a good halfback more than anything else.