It really is time for Sheens to go........

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Sunday 1 April 3:00PM
Venue: SCG
Telecast: Ch9 Delay
alexaki

Re: It really is time for Sheens to go........

Post by alexaki » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 8:27 pm

Irvine wrote:
cnx_tigers wrote:If any of you have read Benji's book, you'll know that Bennet didn't talk to him for two straight days after a game for NZ. Benji didn't know why and then on the wednesday he asked Bennet who replied "you played like $hit".

Reading it, you got the feeling Benji had never had a coach treat him tough like that before. I am certain we'd be looking at Benji as an immortal if Bennet had of been his coach since 2010 full time.
Spot on. Benji even dictates what days off the players have. Time for some tough love Sheensy.
...how would you know!

jason1976

Post by jason1976 » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 8:30 pm

Sheens can take that waste of space Groat and Meaney with him!

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 8:35 pm

Golden wrote:
Tigersmurf wrote:Every time we have a loss we hear calls for Sheens to be sacked. It is clear to me that the reason why we lose these close games is not Tim Sheens - it is Benji Marshall.

Benji called the shots today. We had very little in attack and he gave Beau a hospital pass on the first tackle in the Bunnys 10 with 5 mins to go. He does one bloody flick pass in 2005, and another in 2009, he does a short drop out today and we recover the ball and all I ever hear is how fantastic a player he is.

Well I for one am sick of hospital passes, cut out passes going out over the sideline, not being able to kick into the corners in the last 5 minutes of games. Time and time again our playmakers have proven that they do not have the maturity or understanding to know how to close out a football game. Whether it is Robbie or Benji it is the same old rubbish.

Thank Christ for Braith Anasta!!!!
so in 06 and 07 when Benji was out for the seasons whos fault was it to choke close games then???
Sorry Golden, not sure of your point? Are you saying that we can't be choking with Benji because in 06 and 07 we choked without him??

The fact was that in those years we didn't have the depth and has no relevance to the fact that Benji lacks the quality of a leader when it comes to steering a team around the field.

Montague Street

Post by Montague Street » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 9:04 pm

Andyvee wrote:Sheens got the game plan right on today.

Pity the players didn't follow the same game plan in the last 6 minutes.

If anything, Benji made some really horrible decisions out there, especially with most of his kicks, and that chip kick on fulltime......WTF

Certain players need to know how to close a game out........Benji was the biggest culprit out there tonight.

For every amazing thing he does out there he makes 2 or 3 bad decisions.

End of the day, I wouldn't swap him for any other player in the comp, and this post is me venting my frustration after watching todays game. I hope they can salvage something from todays loss.
Yep.
There is no way the Sheens' game plan was that in the last five minutes there should be stupid penalties, passes, kicks or tackles.

Rugby League: The Game They Play in Hell

MrTiger187

Post by MrTiger187 » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 10:21 pm

No Sheens i want him to stay and be loyal AS WE SHOULD BE LOYAL BACK TIGERFANS WATS WRONG WITH U!!

georgebeema

Post by georgebeema » Tue 03 Apr, 2012 6:34 pm

When we have no injuries, Sheens is the best coach in the world. However, as soon as we get one injury he goes bazzurk with the changes. His player selection alot of the tines is crazy. He and others should also take responsibilty for not having a halfback for six years now. All you so called supporters bagging Benji should be ashamed of yourselves. It's not his job to steer them around, where's the bloody halfback.

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Tue 03 Apr, 2012 10:59 pm

okay, i confess i skipped through 3 pages of this...

anyway, @OP, i disagree that he hasnt brought players to their potential. chris lawrence has improved in leaps and bounds, marshall * on the whole * has improved incredibly in the last 2 years imo. who ever heard of simon dwyer when he debuted? ayshford has become a great centre (except this year!). just a few seasons ago heighington was touted as a SOO probable, and galloway made SOO last year. farah has done as well as can be expected rep wise too.

we have all been here before. apart from some insanely frustrating years (i call them the John Morris years) when he used the same 17 players, each in a different position every week, i think he shows patience and doesnt panic when it gets tough. i think things like missed tackles, penalties and horrific completion rates are committed on the field and nowhere else.

i do admit that marshall has gone backwards this year, and without farah in the side he falls apart. he is and only ever will be good without too much responsibility.
never mind the chip kick, i think the pivotal moment was passing to beau giving him all of 17mm of space to the sideline. from there on we lost it.

Mighty Tigers

Post by Mighty Tigers » Tue 03 Apr, 2012 11:13 pm

Folkes made Sheens look good.He has one of the largest group of youths to pick from. He has outstayed his welcome stubborn and old fashion.Time for new direction new coach.I have been saying it since 2009

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Tue 03 Apr, 2012 11:17 pm

I am up and down with Sheens. It coincides with the fortunes of the team.

Changing coach mid season though is something I never agree with. It may have a short term spike in wins but is always detrimental to the club medium to long term

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 3:46 pm

Our key senior players are treading water, they havent improved.

Benji Lawrence farah could reap wonderful benefits from someone with a new structure
I'd love to see the WTs with a massive forward dominant game....I wanna see them earn wins thru the tough stuff not touch footy

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 3:47 pm

If sheens does go will his son go with him ??
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN, BUT NOBODY WANTS TO DIE..

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 3:55 pm

innsaneink wrote:Our key senior players are treading water, they havent improved.

Benji Lawrence farah could reap wonderful benefits from someone with a new structure
I'd love to see the WTs with a massive forward dominant game....I wanna see them earn wins thru the tough stuff not touch footy
Yeah I want to see our team grind other forward packs into submission as well Ink

2010 we started to embark on that style of football and was in the main fairly successful

So Sheens can coach that style there is no doubts

I just wonder if he expected Groat to step up more as well as Blair and that is why he is hesitant to try and grind sides as he doesn't have the troops

Other thing to take into account , this is only the second game we have had both our starting props playing Lets see if it makes a big difference ??

Balmain Bobby

Post by Balmain Bobby » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 4:42 pm

If Tim goes, who are you going to replace him with.???????????????????????????

From Wikipedia
Although his first ever game as first-grade coach was a 24–12 loss to St George, Tim Sheens has a track-record of reforming under-performing teams to premiership victory. He brought Penrith to their first finals series ever in 1985 and he coached the Canberra Raiders to their first premiership in 1989, a feat he repeated in 1990 and 1994.

However, Sheens' time with the North Queensland Cowboys (1997–2001) was less successful and, after board discussions, a period of stress-leave and while News Limited launched a take-over of the club,[6] he resigned from North Queensland on 25 May 2001.[7]

In 2002, Sheens accepted the coaching position with the Wests Tigers for the 2003 season, replacing Terry Lamb. The feat of the Wests Tigers winning the 2005 Grand Final against the Cowboys has been largely attributed to Sheens.

Sheens has coached four premiership winning teams, making him second only to Wayne Bennett among current coaches. Sheens was awarded the Dally M Coach of the Year in 1984, 1990 and 2005.

In December 2007, Sheens' contract with the Tigers – due to expire at the end of the 2008 season – was extended to 2010.[8]

On 3 May 2010 Sheens became the first coach in Australian rugby league history to reach 600 games. In 2011, Penrith Panthers offered Tim the job as head coach for the club. However, on 29 April 2011, Tim decided to stay coach for the Tigers and extended his coaching contract for until 2014.
Representative coaching

At the representative level, Sheens coached the 1991 ARL City Origin team to a 22–12 win over Country. In the same year, as coach of the NSW State of Origin team, he led the side to a 2–1 series loss to Queensland. In 1997 Sheens coached the NSW super league side[9] to a 23 to 22 win over Queensland in a Tri series competition involving NSW Queensland and New Zealand.

Sheens returned to the NRL representative arena in 2006 when he succeeded Graham Murray as coach for City Origin, a post he retained in 2007 and 2008.[10] In 2006, City lost to Country, 12 points to 10 but won in 2007, 12 points to 6. The 2008 match was a 22–22 draw, with City retaining the trophy.

In February 2009, Sheens was appointed coach of the Australian national rugby league team following the resignation of Ricky Stuart. Sheens coached the
Certainly not Ricky Stewart, who else has a record to compare with Tim, or do you take a chance on an understudy like Rick Stone, who did a very good job at Newcastle with limited cattle.

What I find amazing with fans is how quickly the knives come out when we are losing. I am passionate about My Tigers, but I do constantly remind myself, when it all boils down to it, it is only a game. I am over 60, and the Tigers have won only 1 grand final in my lifetime, and the Wests Tigers 1, so I could complain, but I don't :roll:
It's tough fella's and Gal's, but getting rid of Tim mid season would be crazy IMHO.

WHO would you pick as a replacement.?
Be Yourself, no one else can do it for you.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 4:45 pm

There'd be someone Bob, theres always someone, people crap on like hes the messiah, Mr 33% semis at WTs.........and Ive been calling for this for 6 years bobby

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 4:49 pm

innsaneink wrote:There'd be someone Bob, theres always someone, people crap on like hes the messiah, Mr 33% semis at WTs.........and Ive been calling for this for 6 years bobby
You're not on your lonesome there , ink.
Would be good to see someone with a different perspective take the reins.

Chris

Post by Chris » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 4:51 pm

Everyone has their opinions and some have given good reasons why Tim should be replaced. That's great! I'm not opposed to replacing Tim but the question remains, who do you replace him with? What quality coaches are out there?

Balmain Bobby

Post by Balmain Bobby » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 4:54 pm

I'm not against it next year, so I agree with you to a ceratin extent, as I believe all coaches get stale, and it's hard to coach the same players year after year and come up with innovative new play's.

But at this stage of the season, no. I reckon there will be coach movements and rumblings closer to the end of the season, but honestly, I can only think of Rick Stone who has that " Working Class " mentaility that put's players at ease and makes them want to play for him.
Be Yourself, no one else can do it for you.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 4:56 pm

Theres plenty...15 other NRL clubs have managed to deduce this.
And about 13 of them have their teams doing better than Tim, atm.

edit* Yeh Im not talking mid year either.