2014 player profiles

willow

2014 player profiles

Post by willow » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 9:48 pm

So the 2014 player profiles are up and I thought I'd look at the player weights to see how we differ from last year, given we were one of the smaller sides.

Interesting reading...

Woods - Listed at 109kg, same as last year
Ava S - 114kg, no lack of grunt there
BMM - 114kg, a couple up on last year
Thompson - 107kg, a couple up on last year
Anasta - 97kg, about the same
Lawrence - 100kg, same as last year but injury free
Nofoaluma - 98kg, a couple up on last year
Buchanan - 109kg, a couple up on last year
Tedesco - 93kg, same as last year
Fulton - 96kg, same as last year
Koroibete - 93kg, same as last year
Moses - 80kg, 4-5 up on last year
Farah - 89kg, same as last year
Sue - 107kg, about 9 up on last year
Simona - 90kg, same as last year
Taupau - 112kg
Halatau - 95kg
Lulia - 97kg
Richards - Listed at 82kg which is surely a typo. Probably 102kg given he's 6'4
Rowe - 82kg
Luani - 92kg, about the same last year
Lovett - 100kg
Vela - 95kg
Austin - 98kg
Paterson - 100kg
Blair - 111kg, about 4 up on last year
Brown - 107kg
Galloway - 112kg
Sironen - 104kg
Moltzen- 93kg
Gavet - 108kg
Naiyaravoro - 115kg
Brooks - 89kg

Looking across the board, we certainly don't lack for size in the forwards this year, and we've got some size and speed in the backs also. Where I think this will help is in the middle of the park, and hopefully with an improved defence, we'll win the ruck more often this year, and hopefully a few more games.

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 9:57 pm

We were noticeably bigger in the trials this year. Not just blubber either it looks like muslce and power.

Outside of Farah Fulton would be the only one of our forwards or bench forwards under 100kgs.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 10:32 pm

Siro's weight cant be right and neither can Lawrence's surely....

Siro must be ~106kg at least, and Lawrence below 97 i woulda thought. Comapring them to last year they both gotten bigger and smaller respectively
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 10:57 pm

Some of those numbers look very dodgy. Austin 98 and Patterson 100?? There would have to be 10 kilos difference between them surely. But Sue at 107 is awesome.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 11:58 pm

I got told that Sue had the lowest skin folds at the club when they tested after the Christmas break, the fact that he has put on 7kgs and its obviously muscle is insane.

tigertye

Post by tigertye » Sat 01 Mar, 2014 2:11 am

fergiefurr wrote:I got told that Sue had the lowest skin folds at the club when they tested after the Christmas break, the fact that he has put on 7kgs and its obviously muscle is insane.
Sue is probably the most ripped bloke at the club. Dead set unit. For a guy who came through the 20's as a bit of an underdog compared to some others that were in the team, he's come in leaps and bounds on the big stage and hasn't looked out place. I see plenty of potential in this kid. Lots of agro, something we've missed in the forwards. I think him and Taupau are in for a big year. Gavet and Brown could be a surprise packet also. I just wish BMM steps up this year big time because he could be in the Fifita mould and a strong weapon for us. Siro will be a superstar in a few years in the back row, so our future is looking bright in the forwards.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sat 01 Mar, 2014 12:07 pm

100% muscle that bloke. hope he's right for R1
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

barra

Post by barra » Sat 01 Mar, 2014 2:46 pm

tigertye wrote:
fergiefurr wrote:I got told that Sue had the lowest skin folds at the club when they tested after the Christmas break, the fact that he has put on 7kgs and its obviously muscle is insane.
Sue is probably the most ripped bloke at the club. Dead set unit. For a guy who came through the 20's as a bit of an underdog compared to some others that were in the team, he's come in leaps and bounds on the big stage and hasn't looked out place. I see plenty of potential in this kid. Lots of agro, something we've missed in the forwards. I think him and Taupau are in for a big year. Gavet and Brown could be a surprise packet also. I just wish BMM steps up this year big time because he could be in the Fifita mould and a strong weapon for us. Siro will be a superstar in a few years in the back row, so our future is looking bright in the forwards.
Agree - Sue is becoming one of my favourite players for a few reasons, mainly because he has plenty of ticker and looks like he simply hates being beaten. Good attitude esp for a forward!
And liking his higher weight - can't wait to see him rip in this season.

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Sat 01 Mar, 2014 8:36 pm

From what i saw at the Cronulla trial, Sue while bigger looks bulkier not musclier. Simona on the other hand looked absolutely ripped this year.

Phantomlock

Post by Phantomlock » Sun 02 Mar, 2014 4:47 am

I'm glad Sauaso has put on some kgs and whether ripped or not doesn't bother me as he was already so lean to begin with. His attitude and determination belies that fact that he's still relatively new to topside.

Sue, Taupau, BMM, Gavet and Brown can all add to a lethal mix of power and aggression so sadly missing from recent seasons and how brilliant it is that we have them all just about 100% ready to go for R1!

PL

alex

Post by alex » Sun 02 Mar, 2014 10:04 am

I remember Potter saying at the Gold Coast members function in August that Sue was around 7-8% body fat. Anything sub 10% is a huge effort, and not something you usually see in Rugby League players, let alone forwards! The only other forward who would be that low would be SBW. I'd suspect most props would be around the 13-15% mark (excluding George Rose).

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sun 02 Mar, 2014 10:39 am

alex wrote:I remember Potter saying at the Gold Coast members function in August that Sue was around 7-8% body fat. Anything sub 10% is a huge effort, and not something you usually see in Rugby League players, let alone forwards! The only other forward who would be that low would be SBW. I'd suspect most props would be around the 13-15% mark (excluding George Rose).
i wouldn't say sub 10% is a huge effort, i mean for a normal bloke definitely.

but most backs should be hovering just below 10% and most forwards just about (11-12%).

8% is very good from sue though. ~6% being the minimum you'd want as an athlete, and even then that'd probably be a long distance runner with less muscle mass than a footy player.