Who Improves in 2018

Wests Tigers Discussion
GNR4LIFE

Re: Who Improves in 2018

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:52 am

To me, an improving player is a player who was underwhelming this season. I think Reynolds will be a massive improver in a new environment.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:57 am

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 10:19 pm
Geo. wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 10:04 pm
Needaname wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 9:53 pm
Geo. wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 9:43 pm

The kid is only 17...Development player..not NRL top 30..will play mostly Underage 20's maybe taste ISP..
Are you able to confirm which one of the development players it was. I'm sure saw an announcement about one of them being included into the 30 squad?....
News to me..
Might explain the Big League story in regards to Thomas Mikaele Geo .....
Under the new NRL initiative clubs are able to sign a maximum of six development players each year, with Wests Tigers choosing to have four in 2018.

The club is pleased to announce the signing of Thomas Mikaele, Heath Gibbs, Sam McIntyre and Dylan Smith, with all four players to train with Wests Tigers fulltime.

“As a part of their development player contract they’re not eligible for NRL selection so will begin the year with the Under 20s team but I expect to see them feature in the Intrust Super Premiership side throughout the season,”

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2017 ... nounc.html
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 11:32 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:49 am
maxxy86 wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:34 am
Munk wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 2:26 pm
It has got to be Brooks, if not then we are in for another long season.
He hasnt got ball hogs like Farah and limelight hogs who only care about their highlight reels like Moses and Tedesco to worry about. He'll have great support from Reynolds and Benji, quick service from Liddle and strong runners to hit on the edges.
This is the year Brooks stands up and owns this side, stamping his mark on the competition or we fail again. Simple as that.
And if he doesn't stand up we'll know it had nothing Ty o do with the so called Ball/limelight hogs......Won't we??
I think Brooks will get plenty of support this year. Ivan Cleary will have a full pre season with him. Brett Hodgson will be an assisting the NRL backs. Experienced halves like Reynolds & Benji will be good for Brooks. I can see him having a good year.
I will believe it when I see it with Brooks, he's had this do called support his entire career. Granted there will be more but I just don't think he's got what it takes in the nrl to be a success.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 7:45 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 9:18 am
Twal - He looks likely to continue improving & this could sure up our bench somewhat.

Brooks - This will be a vital factor if the Tigers are going to improve as a team in 2018. Cleary needs to ensure he is running the team and tell Reynolds to stay out of it.

Liddle - Another important factor if the Tigers are going to improve. Liddle & Brooks need to strike up a strong combination in 2018.

Felise - The forgotten man. It is important for his career to grow and up to Cleary to set him straight with what is expected. He is a very good domestic who will do whats asked of him. He also needs to be more committed in defence & improve on his concentration levels.

Suli - Moses just needs to keep learning. I'm not expecting him to light up the competition, but I will be very happy if we continue to see improvement. 2019 is the year this kid will be a key factor!
Brooks has repeatedly demonstrated that he is not a brash, confident, lead-from-the-front type of player. He will need as much help as he can get from Reynolds in running the team. That is obvious IMO.

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 8:24 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Tue 21 Nov, 2017 7:45 am
Tiger Watto wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 9:18 am
Twal - He looks likely to continue improving & this could sure up our bench somewhat.

Brooks - This will be a vital factor if the Tigers are going to improve as a team in 2018. Cleary needs to ensure he is running the team and tell Reynolds to stay out of it.

Liddle - Another important factor if the Tigers are going to improve. Liddle & Brooks need to strike up a strong combination in 2018.

Felise - The forgotten man. It is important for his career to grow and up to Cleary to set him straight with what is expected. He is a very good domestic who will do whats asked of him. He also needs to be more committed in defence & improve on his concentration levels.

Suli - Moses just needs to keep learning. I'm not expecting him to light up the competition, but I will be very happy if we continue to see improvement. 2019 is the year this kid will be a key factor!
Brooks has repeatedly demonstrated that he is not a brash, confident, lead-from-the-front type of player. He will need as much help as he can get from Reynolds in running the team. That is obvious IMO.
I'm not too worried about Brooks to be honest. He will have a job to do, and I don't think he is quite up to it, but that's okay. He will be given the best chance he's ever had, the best support, and we are in a rebuilding phase so if he doesn't step up to our requirements he can move on and so will we. We have options now.

We will be much better positioned to slot in a new halfback in a year or so anyway, once our reputation for sucking is (hopefully) gone, we had no chance this year.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 7:38 am

If Brooks doesn't improve 100% we're no hope.

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 11:52 am

Agree with most of what's said, and thinking the way Cleary has structured team it's all about giving Brooks as much space and defensive back up as possible.
Also really like Milne,watched him closely through WC and he looks a classy player with little subtle changes in pace and direction which will create time for players inside and outside of him.
That's what I think Cleary has done with his retention and recruitment. It's all about depth, go forward, time and space team culture and toughness.
Thinking we're in for a big year.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 12:43 pm

backline and halves. our backline is one of the weakest in the comps and our halves need to step up big time.

every single person in the backline from 1-7 would need to have the best year of their lives for us to be a chance tbh.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 1:19 pm

TIGER wrote:
Thu 11 Jan, 2018 7:38 am
If Brooks doesn't improve 100% we're no hope.
If Brooks does not improve, Benji returns to the NR7 and Marsters or Kevie take the Bench reserve spot. Likewise if Reynolds does not fit at 5-8, Marshall plays with Brooks. If we loose both Brooks and Reynolds.... :cry:

The only player I am worried about is Tui Lolohea transitioning to fullback. Corey Thompson would be the next option there and I don't know if he would be up to the task. I like Lolohea and I think he is a boon for us. But I want to see how he goes at FB. Particularly with defense it is hard to read the oppositions game and being at the right place at the right time.

Earl

Post by Earl » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 4:42 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
Mon 15 Jan, 2018 12:43 pm
backline and halves. our backline is one of the weakest in the comps and our halves need to step up big time.

every single person in the backline from 1-7 would need to have the best year of their lives for us to be a chance tbh.
I think our outside backs are good to very good. Suli, Fonua, Nofo, Milne, Masters, MWZ and Kev give us heaps of options. Our problem is our spine but Liddle, Tui, Brooks and Reynolds may go well.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Tue 16 Jan, 2018 11:52 am

Given we had one of the weakest attacks in the competetion the last few years and the 3 blokes contributing to most of it are now gone,I think scoring points will be a very real issue for WT.Sure weve got replacements,but not quite at the same level in attack
Throw in the fact we have a weak spine,a slow(but big)backline who arent gonna score runaway tries,and a struggling goalkicker Im just not sure where the points are going to come from to win games against the better defending sides
Think thats why we maybe bought Benji....if Brooks and Reylolds cant fire.
But given the above,strong defence and minimal silly errors/penalties are going to be more important than ever

Onthebus

Post by Onthebus » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 10:07 am

Twal and Nofo

Twal has showed improvement every time he has played, played brilliant for Lebanon in the World Cup and will take himself to another level this year,can see him starting at some stage and forcing Packer/Ben to come off the bench

NOFO was playing injured last year, scary thought as he still put in 100% every time he played

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 11:37 am

Mahe Fonua.

I think he is going to become such a wrecking ball for us this year. Kick returns from Lolo, Nofo/Fonua, then second tackle options Nofo/Fonua, Milne, Marsters are going to put us on the front foot so often this year.

Only issue is high kick defence, I expect us to be targeted.

wt01

Post by wt01 » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 12:23 pm

everyone :)

tiger_one

Post by tiger_one » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 2:09 pm

(e) All the above

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 3:42 pm

We have little x factor, little pace, and little ball playing ability. We need our backs to suddenly learn these skills and then we might surprise a few people

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by oldprop » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 2:21 pm

I’m looking for a big improvement from Sue. This is his big opportunity to step up. Only hope the concussion issues are behind him. If not he’ll have to give it away.
Need more props.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 6:07 pm

Hopefully everyone improves but especially.

Brooks
Liddle
Lolohea
If these 3 don't improve a lot!!!! we're in for a long year.

Suli
Marsters
Hopefully there's plenty of improvement coming from these pair.

Twal
Eisenhuth
These pair improved out of sight last year so im not expecting huge improvement in 2018 but im sure they will improve further.

I'll add the new recruits too.

Reynolds, really needs to get back to his best,
Reeks of Anasta signing for me for some reason.

McQueen, Also be nice if he got back near his barnstorming best. Really can't see it happening though.

Matulino, Didn't impress much from the few games i watched of his last season.
Im sure he's much better than what i saw.