Why I like clubs like Newcastle.

Seantice

Why I like clubs like Newcastle.

Post by Seantice » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 4:01 pm

For the past 6 rounds, the opposition fans have been assuming that there team will beat the Tigers easily. The roosters fans in round actually commented that this side shouldn't even play NRL with a roster like ours. Continued every week with only an occasionly positive comment. Unlike the pompous teams we have played the Newcastle fans are not only giving us compliments but there analyzing the game with respect to who there playing. Good to see for a change. Hope both of our teams can make the 8.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 4:22 pm

Theyve been where weve been

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 4:30 pm

Working class team. They still turn up when their side was at the bottom of the ladder.
in Ivan we distrust

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 4:36 pm

Screw the Knights. Still haven't forgotten about that game when we got robbed with 2 balls on the field.

TigersBusDriver

Post by TigersBusDriver » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 4:38 pm

upthetigers wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 4:36 pm
Screw the Knights. Still haven't forgotten about that game when we got robbed with 2 balls on the field.
Not Newcastle's fault

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 4:50 pm

upthetigers wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 4:36 pm
YeaH! that's right - it was a Newcastle referee damn them. It's all their fault.

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 4:59 pm

Haha we all get robbed occasionly. That call for the broncos game was atrocious. But all good. As long as it doesn't happen when we win the grand final.. Haha

TigersBusDriver

Post by TigersBusDriver » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 5:01 pm

Completely agree. The Newcastle fans seem to have great understanding of what constitutes a winning culture and team, unlike the Gronks or Roo$ters fans who think a star studded roster is the only way to win.

"I agree. On paper the Tigers have no real stars just a lot of honest workers and average first graders who have obviously bought into what Cleary is trying to achieve. However if you look at their roster they do have quite a bit of depth to rely on that most other clubs don't. Again none of these players are superstars but at different stages the Tigers have won without the following players in first grade for differing reasons. Lolohea, Fonua, McIlwrick, McQueen, Grant, Reynolds, Godinet, Nofoaluma and Milne. I'm sure the Knights would love to be in the position to have had a Reynolds, Nofoaluma or even a Godinet at a pinch to come in to replace an underperforming Lamb or Mata'utia, let alone be five from six having already played some pretty handy sides.

I think you are spot on that attitude and desire can go a long way to beating a great roster. "

"Tigers certainly came out of the blocks fast.

-They were sending 3 defenders either side of ruck , quick one up dummy half darts appeared successful but Manly couldn’t control the ball and turned it over with poor ball control.
-Brooks runs across field then throws the dummy to wide outside centre and steps back - we will need to chase him hard and pin him from the inside out to stop him.
-Tigers forwards go wide but spear back in behind the ruck- marker defenders need to chase from inside out and not clock off when the ball goes past."

Two comments from Newcastle fans. Their forum is a good read

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 5:49 pm

Nice to be getting some respect, but are we ever going to drop this “working hard team of misfits” image? Ok we don’t have proven superstars, but a couple of them are clearly on their way. And imo we’re actuslly starting to look quite classy..

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:15 pm

Gonna be hard playing at a Field we don't normally play at

As for any club other than the WT's , screw em

They don't feel sorry for us and I won't feel sorry for them

Siege mentality works , hate everyone

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:20 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:15 pm
Gonna be hard playing at a Field we don't normally play at

As for any club other than the WT's , screw em

They don't feel sorry for us and I won't feel sorry for them

Siege mentality works , hate everyone
Happy we have never been beaten at Scully park.

Roar Power

Post by Roar Power » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:31 pm

Sco77y wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 5:49 pm
Nice to be getting some respect, but are we ever going to drop this “working hard team of misfits” image? Ok we don’t have proven superstars, but a couple of them are clearly on their way. And imo we’re actuslly starting to look quite classy..
Been thinking about this too. So what happens if WT win the grand final. I imagine a number of players potentially become marquee signings elsewhere and our salary cap starts to feel the pressure....

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:46 pm

Roar Power wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:31 pm
Sco77y wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 5:49 pm
Been thinking about this too. So what happens if WT win the grand final. I imagine a number of players potentially become marquee signings elsewhere and our salary cap starts to feel the pressure....
Definitely possible that a handful of our players could be commanding a significantly higher salary at the end of the year or beyond. Not too worried about that though, as ‘the house’ seems to be well in order and our cap is still looking great due to the bargain buys and shedding a lot off of it in the form of our marquee (lol) players last year. In top of that the players are all on the same page and buying into the new culture which would hopefully encourage most to stay when the time comes.