A Wests Tigers team to be proud of

Eddie

A Wests Tigers team to be proud of

Post by Eddie » Sun 27 May, 2018 9:30 pm

I was out there today among the members.

It was an ugly game. Fans were frustrated at times but always supporting. The attack and errors were poor at times but the effort was constant. Not the anger or disenchantment or vitriol from the stands previous years or anything like that.

My point is 12 rounds in I cant remember another season in the past decade where we could say our team has had genuine crack every round for 12 weeks. We have won 7 games, lost a game in golden point we deserved to win, lost 2 games by 2 points and been outclassed by penrith and the Warriors away but not disgraced.

Even back in 2010 and 2011 we used to get done by 40 at times or let in 5 tries in 15 minutes. Teams that had way more talent and standing in the game. Not playing with anywhere near the same effort across weeks and months. Underachieving and rarely overachieving. Streaky but never sustained.

We have the 2nd best defence in the competition with a team of mis fits, journeyman and unheralded players. I thought coming in this was the least talented roster we had for several years. Better depth but less stars then every single other club. We lack speed in the backs for mine and some aggression and size in the forwards but we compete for 80 minutes. Against the Warriors and panthers we were totally outclassed but refused to give up. Tigers side of the past would have lost 40 points.

I still dont think we will make the 8 however it is now realistic - were giving ourselves a shot to get those 12 or 13 wins and have a winning season. This is how you change a cultture Some of the guys hereon wont take us to the promised land but they are building something importuning. Setting standards we can hang our hat on. Not every signing has worked outbutmost have bought something.

I think a lot Tigers fans are proud at the moment and I think we should be. I think we need to be hopeful but keep realistic expectations.
Last edited by Eddie on Sun 27 May, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sun 27 May, 2018 9:33 pm

Keep it going Tigers.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 27 May, 2018 9:35 pm

Never not been proud of Wests Tigers

but you are right Eddie this version of the team has been in every game so far this year..no dropping of heads at all..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 27 May, 2018 9:45 pm

I have only ever expected the whole team to function as ONE and they seem to be just that this season
They seem united, the scramble defence is proof of this

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 27 May, 2018 9:47 pm

The attitude in defense has been the big improvement for me.
The execution still has some way to go...but our attitude kept us in todays game despite us playing pretty damn bad
Frustrating as hell but I guess that comes with expectation, something we havent had a lot of in the past too many years

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun 27 May, 2018 10:00 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 9:47 pm
The attitude in defense has been the big improvement for me.
The execution still has some way to go...but our attitude kept us in todays game despite us playing pretty damn bad
Frustrating as hell but I guess that comes with expectation, something we havent had a lot of in the past too many years
Being able to win playing badly is a good sign, although it makes for some bloody ugly and frustrating viewing...

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 27 May, 2018 10:04 pm

Took my old man today - he’s 76 and a Souths supporter. Poor bugger was limping with a cane (took 20 min from car to seat!!). After the game he said “this tigers team has heart. They got bashed by the refs, bashed by poor completions but they won.” Wise words from an old timer.

Folks, while I was reading the live game thread retrospectively I was thinking - we need to show the same heart. The disgusting way some of us talk about members of our team is sad. Remember, they’re busting their butts, we are sitting and watching.

Let’s show our passion respectfully. We’re gonna have a good few years
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Sun 27 May, 2018 10:25 pm

I’ve stated many times on this forum that all I’ve really wanted was decent defense. Coach Cleary has delivered on this so I am happy.

The coach has also said that the team is a work in progress and that the attack has a long way to go.

An ugly win today but I am so proud of my club.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

willow

Post by willow » Sun 27 May, 2018 10:45 pm

I've been most proud of the effort each week. For sure the attack has looked clunky at times, but the scramble in defence is always there, even when we are on the backfoot. It's that effort which I've been happy with.

tiger_one

Post by tiger_one » Sun 27 May, 2018 10:49 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 10:04 pm
Took my old man today - he’s 76 and a Souths supporter. Poor bugger was limping with a cane (took 20 min from car to seat!!). After the game he said “this tigers team has heart. They got bashed by the refs, bashed by poor completions but they won.” Wise words from an old timer.

Folks, while I was reading the live game thread retrospectively I was thinking - we need to show the same heart. The disgusting way some of us talk about members of our team is sad. Remember, they’re busting their butts, we are sitting and watching.

Love this post.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 27 May, 2018 11:03 pm

I like this thread, and it's funny being a WT supporter, even look at the comments in the threads about today's game.

Tigers did enough to beat a decent Dogs side, and though they didn't throw a lot of variation at us, we snuffed them out in defence very well, did a lot of defending on our line (from our own dumb mistakes).

This Tigers team is tough, they hang in games and fairly often do enough to win, come up with a good enough play to win. That's not the old Tigers, the old Tigers would either be on song and destroy some teams, or fall to pieces when the chips were down. We used to be mad for tries either side of HT.

Oppositions never used to fear us, they knew if they just stayed in the game they were a good chance of a momentum swing. And if we beat them, they knew it was often shiny pretty football, the kind that's hard to defend against but not produced consistently.

Totally different side this one. Opposing teams are worried how well we hang in games, opposing fans respect the way the Tigers turn up each week.

We are still very rusty in attack, clearly the worst attack in the Top 8, and that has lots of fans worried. Fair enough, but consider how it's balanced by the second-best defence in the comp (behind the comp leaders) and how we are 7-5 at the half-way mark.

We are used to seeing this team attack, and even after 12 rounds, I am still reading today how many fans were having a heart attack watching us defend our line. I would have thought, after the past 12 weeks, we've shown to be pretty good at defending our line now? Kept Penrith out all 2nd half last week; in fact haven't conceded a try in either 2nd halves past 2 weeks.

fibrodreaming

Post by fibrodreaming » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:22 am

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. I skimmed through the live game thread and was shocked at some to the comments.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:30 am

The live game thread is heat of the moment and it was a very frustrating game to watch, I wouldn't put much thought into it.

It is a good release sometimes and people don't always mean what they say when they are fired up.

One eyed Eel and some Kennel discussion threads are a lot worse than our live game thread during a bad game :)

Everyone here is here because they care about the club.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:34 am

Some care more about laying in the slipper tho
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:37 am

Tweed Tiger wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 9:30 am
The live game thread is heat of the moment and it was a very frustrating game to watch, I wouldn't put much thought into it.

It is a good release sometimes and people don't always mean what they say when they are fired up.

One eyed Eel and some Kennel discussion threads are a lot worse than our live game thread during a bad game :)

Everyone here is here because they care about the club.
Exactly.
'heat ofthe moment'
It's why some players do stupid things in the 'heat of the moment'

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:42 am

in fairness, there were some really really dumb plays. That is as frustrating as hell.