Re: Nathan Cleary

Post by innsaneink » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 1:23 pm

The Queen wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:04 pm
Nelson wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 9:08 pm
TigerTiger wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 9:02 pm
I still think we'll get Cleary Junior, but if we can't how about we look at Maloney? He is a class above most others, has won premierships with several different clubs, excelled at Origin... he wouldn't be cheap but would be slightly cheaper than what we'd pay for Cleary.

And Gus would probably let us have him if it meant he retained Cleary Junior.

Maloney and Brooks, a premiership combo in the halves right there.
He's 32 next week and is contracted for the next 2 years. I don't think he's an option.

He also said a few times he would never play for the Tiger's he does not like the Tiger's as a club
Yeh right sure

Liddy

Post by Liddy » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 7:38 pm

Interesting comment by IC on TV tonight, saying that him coaching his Son may happen sooner rather than later......

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 7:45 pm

Liddy wrote:
Sat 09 Jun, 2018 7:38 pm
Interesting comment by IC on TV tonight, saying that him coaching his Son may happen sooner rather than later......
He is such a tease

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 8:10 pm

Anyone considered the possibility that Brooks may not want to play second fiddle? If we sign Nathan, Brooks could easily take up an offer with another side, and we could have Reynolds/Cleary. If we sign Cleary, and we need to strengthen the back row or outside backs, it probably would be best to let Brooks go, and invest somewhere else.

Post by 851 » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 8:26 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 09 Jun, 2018 8:10 pm
Anyone considered the possibility that Brooks may not want to play second fiddle? If we sign Nathan, Brooks could easily take up an offer with another side, and we could have Reynolds/Cleary. If we sign Cleary, and we need to strengthen the back row or outside backs, it probably would be best to let Brooks go, and invest somewhere else.
Makes sense, but we waited near 5 years for Brooks to come good, be a shame to let him go now, but, but you are right we need strike backs and a gun secondrower.
Go hard or go home

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 8:35 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sat 09 Jun, 2018 12:02 am
foreveratiger wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 1:06 pm
Telltails wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 12:13 am
Goddam its hard not to like everything about the Cleary's.
Gus will move mountains to keep Nathan -kept referring to how good Maloney and he play together and the positive infuence he has on his game.
They are going to have at least three clubs doing their best to lure them.
You can tell there's a deep bond , obviously raised by brilliant Parents .
The way Ivan speaks and conducts himself you can see why Nathan is such a great kid.

I don't think Nathan will be coming to us either.
I know this will sound crazy , but if Penrith win the premiership I think Cleary is more likely to leave .......
i disagree.
Winning a Grand Final with your mates is a really tight bond you experience and one that is hard to move away from.

It's an interesting one cause winning a Grand Final brings the value of those players much higher and one that becomes complicated to keep the squad together.
Career wise Nathan would be crazy to change Clubs , the forward pack his playing behind is insane and the experience in Maloney is invaluable to his learning and understanding of the week to week competition of the NRL.
We are a few years away from being a consistent footy side we lack talent in quite a few areas .

Would love to have Nathan no doubt but for the sake of his Career and Representative Career i would not be going anywhere.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:24 pm

You know nathan does not cross kick for val to run the field like brooks. Thats the difference between the two.

If we get nathan it will be a swap for luke brooks.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 8:13 am

He'd have to have rocks in his head to leave the team he's in to come here, having your old man as the coach would be more of a deterrent for me, especially if you're still living with him.
I'd be happy to take bets that he will not be a Tiger ever.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 8:16 am

vlad wrote:
Mon 11 Dec, 2017 5:54 pm
supercoach wrote:
Mon 11 Dec, 2017 5:51 pm
If he maintains his form or even gets better there will be a frenzy for his signature and dad or no dad we have a very poor track record when it comes to out bidding our rivals. Be interesting if Brooks actually delivers over the next two years..what happens than
Player swap with Panthers next off season .
Would another club risk Brooks after his butterfingers and turnstiles episodes?
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 8:47 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
I think it’s a given that if we sign Cleary, Brooks will no longer be a Tiger. If Brooks continues his early 2018 form for the next 18 months, he’ll easily get another NRL gig. If he regresses back to his form from the last couple of years, he could be looking at a career in England.
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

weststigerman

Post by weststigerman » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 9:10 am

foreveratiger wrote:
Sat 09 Jun, 2018 8:35 pm
happy tiger wrote:
foreveratiger wrote:
Telltails wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 12:13 am
Goddam its hard not to like everything about the Cleary's.
Gus will move mountains to keep Nathan -kept referring to how good Maloney and he play together and the positive infuence he has on his game.
They are going to have at least three clubs doing their best to lure them.
The way Ivan speaks and conducts himself you can see why Nathan is such a great kid.

I know this will sound crazy , but if Penrith win the premiership I think Cleary is more likely to leave .......
i disagree.
Winning a Grand Final with your mates is a really tight bond you experience and one that is hard to move away from.

It's an interesting one cause winning a Grand Final brings the value of those players much higher and one that becomes complicated to keep the squad together.
Career wise Nathan would be crazy to change Clubs , the forward pack his playing behind is insane and the experience in Maloney is invaluable to his learning and understanding of the week to week competition of the NRL.
We are a few years away from being a consistent footy side we lack talent in quite a few areas .

Would love to have Nathan no doubt but for the sake of his Career and Representative Career i would not be going anywhere.

I wish Scott Prince felt that way.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 10:31 am

steve-o wrote:
Thu 14 Jun, 2018 8:47 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
I think it’s a given that if we sign Cleary, Brooks will no longer be a Tiger. If Brooks continues his early 2018 form for the next 18 months, he’ll easily get another NRL gig. If he regresses back to his form from the last couple of years, he could be looking at a career in England.
Or a move to hooker.
I agree that we dont need two halfbacks.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 10:37 am

weststigerman wrote:
Thu 14 Jun, 2018 9:10 am
foreveratiger wrote:
Sat 09 Jun, 2018 8:35 pm
happy tiger wrote:
foreveratiger wrote:

i disagree.

I wish Scott Prince felt that way.
Don't get FT started again on Scott Prince

I think he loves Prince as much as Demps loves Luke Burt

AnnandaleTiger

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 10:51 am

SP proves the impact a good QLD'er has.

TSupps05

Post by TSupps05 » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 10:51 am

Brooks can play 6 and Nathan 7 with Grubby at 9?? Cause Brooks is more of a running half.
I don't know why but Braith Anasta pisses me off :mrgreen:

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 11:13 am

TSupps05 wrote:
Thu 14 Jun, 2018 10:51 am
Brooks can play 6 and Nathan 7 with Grubby at 9?? Cause Brooks is more of a running half.
I think we would all love to see something like that, but will the salary cap stretch that far. Brook's price will near double come next contract. It will be all about getting the right balance. Although who knows if JR's body will hold up another couple of years. Ideally come 2020...no1 MM no6 brooks no7 cleary no9 Liddle no14 Reynolds

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 11:30 am

supercoach wrote:
Thu 14 Jun, 2018 11:13 am
TSupps05 wrote:
Thu 14 Jun, 2018 10:51 am
I think we would all love to see something like that, but will the salary cap stretch that far. Brook's price will near double come next contract. It will be all about getting the right balance. Although who knows if JR's body will hold up another couple of years. Ideally come 2020...no1 MM no6 brooks no7 cleary no9 Liddle no14 Reynolds
Well if Sharks, Rorters and Broncos can fit their rosters in we should have room to spare!!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Fibros

Post by Fibros » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 11:41 am

Could be NC 7 and Brooks 6 at the Rorters and they will still have a mil left.
We will smash em 50+ get on.