To those who are blaming Cleary

Wests Tigers Discussion
GNR4LIFE

Re: To those who are blaming Cleary

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 1:33 pm

Eddie wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 1:00 pm
Comparing him to Brian Smith is Stretch. Brian Smith has multiple winning seasons, made multiple grand finals and was somewhat a career first grade coach. Taylor suppoded Hatchet was so unsuccessful that once he replaced the man you claim he was bought in to replace - the whole roster blew up on him a few months later and results worsened . That is not s successful hatchet job.
Who was comparing their coaching ability? This is what i mean, you say one thing, and everyone turns it into something else. I was speaking in refernce to ousting Farah then being ousted himself. He was the face of the whole saga which would have pleased the board because it took attention off them. Then they sacked him. He was used as a hatchet man.

barra

Post by barra » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 1:33 pm

I'm not blaming Cleary, I'm thankful for him.

When it comes to signings he has no choice but to temper them with salary cap limitations. As others have mentioned, you can only sign who is available and Cleary himself has said some signings are not the players to take us to where we need to be, but are players to help us get there. We've already come a long way in 12 months both on and off the field IMO.

I'm glad we have a responsible and experienced coach who seems to have a good raportt with players and others in the game. It could be a lot worse.

So I'll continue to support his actions.

(edit: as hard as it was to take last Sundays game!!)

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 1:49 pm

barra wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 1:33 pm

When it comes to signings he has no choice but to temper them with salary cap limitations. As others have mentioned, you can only sign who is available and Cleary himself has said some signings are not the players to take us to where we need to be, but are players to help us get there. We've already come a long way in 12 months both on and off the field IMO.

I'm glad we have a responsible and experienced coach who seems to have a good raportt with players and others in the game. It could be a lot worse.

When is he supposed to have said this?

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 2:23 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 1:49 pm
barra wrote:

Yep, Barra is correct, and if you read my earlier post I alluded to the same comments from Ivan. He has said exactly that in interviews a couple of times about certain recruits.... that they were the right guys for this rebuilding phase but not necessarily the right guys to win the comp. He speaks of guys that give value for money and who will buy into the new culture, he chose guys with something to prove in the NRL and above all guys who wanted to play for the WT's. As many have already pointed out that wasn't necessarily the pick of the bunch!

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 2:37 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
barra wrote:

I can't remember where or how myself but i do remember hearing or reading words to that effect somewhere

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 3:08 pm

Cleary started ina wide ranging interview some of his signings were those that “might not get you to the promised land” but help you rebuild a culture - it aired a few weeks ago on fox. Basically My take was our next couple signings need to be marquee - and some of the current ones are there for the start of a rebuild. Words to that effect.

barra

Post by barra » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 3:09 pm

TigerSJ wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 2:23 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
barra wrote:

Yep, Barra is correct, and if you read my earlier post I alluded to the same comments from Ivan. He has said exactly that in interviews a couple of times about certain recruits.... that they were the right guys for this rebuilding phase but not necessarily the right guys to win the comp. He speaks of guys that give value for money and who will buy into the new culture, he chose guys with something to prove in the NRL and above all guys who wanted to play for the WT's. As many have already pointed out that wasn't necessarily the pick of the bunch!
Yeah, it was on-camera interview a few weeks or so ago... think it might have been a Fox Sports programme?

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 3:35 pm

Spartan117 wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 1:24 pm
I think the problem is more than a hooker,

We may have farah back for the next 3 years.
I doubt Farah can keep up the standard that long, with Liddle virtually ready to go it would have to be 18 months at the most with shared duties. But more likely only 6 months.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 5:19 pm

barra wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 3:09 pm
TigerSJ wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
barra wrote:

Yeah, it was on-camera interview a few weeks or so ago... think it might have been a Fox Sports programme?
Maybe telling everyone that this current crop are just the inbetweeners is effecting their performances. How would have Brooks taken it with all the N Cleary talk.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 5:28 pm

gallagher wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 5:19 pm
barra wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 3:09 pm
TigerSJ wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Maybe telling everyone that this current crop are just the inbetweeners is effecting their performances. How would have Brooks taken it with all the N Cleary talk.
I’m surprised that he would publicly throw them under the bus like that. Fair enough if he has those feelings behind closed doors, but it’s not something that needs to be broadcast imo.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 5:28 pm

Taylor sucked footballs hard.

I blame Ronnie Palmer and the lack of the magic dust he was sprinkling earlier. Where is it and why is it not being used. There should be an investigation, someone needs to be held accountable.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 5:42 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Eddie wrote:
Comparing him to Brian Smith is Stretch. Brian Smith has multiple winning seasons, made multiple grand finals and was somewhat a career first grade coach. Taylor suppoded Hatchet was so unsuccessful that once he replaced the man you claim he was bought in to replace - the whole roster blew up on him a few months later and results worsened . That is not s successful hatchet job.
Who was comparing their coaching ability? This is what i mean, you say one thing, and everyone turns it into something else. I was speaking in refernce to ousting Farah then being ousted himself. He was the face of the whole saga which would have pleased the board because it took attention off them. Then they sacked him. He was used as a hatchet man.
So according to you Jason Taylor was the face of the job done on Robbie Farah by the board.

Pretty much the same board that just gave the new coach the power to re-sign Robbie Farah.

Can you not see the stupidity in that fairy tale.

Reality again - all that really happened was that the board supported the coach, as they should.

The board not long after held that coach responsible for his bad decisions.
Its an opinion!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 5:45 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 5:42 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Eddie wrote:
So according to you Jason Taylor was the face of the job done on Robbie Farah by the board.

Pretty much the same board that just gave the new coach the power to re-sign Robbie Farah.

Can you not see the stupidity in that fairy tale.

Reality again - all that really happened was that the board supported the coach, as they should.

The board not long after held that coach responsible for his bad decisions.
Desperate times = desperate measures.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 5:46 pm

Nope does not surprise me 1 bit with this Board..

A perfect 10 backflip of the high tower that would make DCE proud..
Wayne Train 2019..

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 5:47 pm

nrlcountrytiger wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 1:12 pm
The only problem i have with Cleary is hes such a great coach yet we where the only ones not playing a hooker at hooker and now he tries on the weekend but we've lost all momentum now its a bit to late....we look out of sorts and down on confidence not the works of a great coach...we need to try and win every week and i dont feel he does that sometimes...I feel he treats some weeks as a training run....If he was serious about winning he would choose better and put hookers in even he doesnt like them there better then Taylor....

In this whole thread this is about the only criticism of Ivan Cleary that i think is fair.

He messed up the hooking role, his decisions havent been good enough when it comes to the 9. That said i think its purely because he put too much faith in Jacob Liddle coming good.

As he has with Lolohea, Aloiai, Marsters etc etc.

Its his one true fault, he is too nice to his squad.

Needs a harder edge.
Its an opinion!

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 5:51 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 5:46 pm
Nope does not surprise me 1 bit with this Board..

A perfect 10 backflip of the high tower that would make DCE proud..
So they are backing the coach again ... for now.

Post by 851 » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 5:54 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
barra wrote:

It was an interview on FOX earlier this year ( Maybe the show with the 4 women), when he also said there will be bad times, but that doesn't mean you can't have success along the way.
Go hard or go home

timmings01

Post by timmings01 » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:55 pm

Same discussion as last year. Different coach. lol