2019 Coaching saga -Thread

Wests Tigers Discussion
WT2K

Re: Tigers set to part ways with Cleary and seal Bennett deal

Post by WT2K » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 1:55 pm

Telltails wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 1:51 pm

No sign of our great leader...
Nice, like that. Our Jungle - much better slogan in my opinion.
No more plodders!
:sign:

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 1:58 pm

Telltails wrote:

It’s time folks........... The Pom has said it; the Queen has said it; even the Wests Tigers employee I spoke to on the phone yesterday said it: Ivan is gone! He’s off the bus! Whether it’s speculation, smoke, fire or perception .... he’s gone!
Like our old mantra said: UNITE, COMMIT, PISS OFF WHEN IT SUITS!!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 2:01 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 1:58 pm
Telltails wrote:

It’s time folks........... The Pom has said it; the Queen has said it; even the Wests Tigers employee I spoke to on the phone yesterday said it: Ivan is gone! He’s off the bus! Whether it’s speculation, smoke, fire or perception .... he’s gone!
Tigers never get a break.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

palms

Post by palms » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 2:18 pm

In a twisted way this could be our break if we get Madge.

Earl

Post by Earl » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 2:19 pm

swag tiger wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 2:01 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Telltails wrote:

Tigers never get a break.
Maybe Cleary going is a break.

palms

Post by palms » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 2:21 pm

One thing you can absolutely set your clock to is the Tigers having a disrupted pre season year on year.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 3:13 pm

palms wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 2:21 pm
One thing you can absolutely set your clock to is the Tigers having a disrupted pre season year on year.
No never, and we are seldom in the news. :lol:
Today we saw a true champion in Winx, and a true bludger in Cleary!

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 4:49 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 10:37 am
Every day that passes its becoming more and more likely that Ivan will be here in 2019. Maybe that is why the club has stayed silent. There's nothing to say.
Agree.

So much speculation, fake news and wishful thinking about our coach who has two years left on his contract.

Until we are told officially by the club, it's the status quo.

:blah

Muzzy

Post by Muzzy » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:03 pm

Telltails wrote:

No Bus or Driver - but there is a Train & the ANZAC Bridge - could that be a clue? Could it mean that we are On Track to snare the NZ Coach? (& possibly some Kiwi recruits as well)

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:36 pm

Maguire will be offered the Tigers head coach role next week. Hearing he prefers to stay in Sydney. Bennett is the back up plan preferred by Tigers and management but Madge preferred by Wests Ashfield.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:40 pm

sideline eye wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 12:18 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 11:23 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 10:37 am
Every day that passes its becoming more and more likely that Ivan will be here in 2019. Maybe that is why the club has stayed silent. There's nothing to say.
I actually don't believe the silence predicts either direction for Ivan.

I would expect that the consistent and widespread media noise about Penrith making an offer to Ivan tells you that's probably true. There's a point where media speculation coalesces and all the outlets start to have roughly the same message, at which time you normally get an exclusive followed by a formal club announcement.

Right now the deal of Ivan to Penrith can only be from 2021 onwards, so if Ivan had accepted and Penrith were happy, the Panthers would have made an announcement already. If Ivan had knocked them back, Penrith probably would have made a statement confirming Ciraldo will be their head coach 2019 - has this happened? (I don't keep up with Panthers press releases).

I therefore believe lack of announcement for Penrith means an offer has been made, but the details aren't finalised because they are dependent on Tigers, and Tigers are working out their conditions of release.

Lack of announcement from Tigers does mean there is nothing to say - but that could mean no change or changes pending finalisation. It's only been a few weeks since the season ended for all the clubs concerned and Broncos announced they were not renewing Bennett, so likely Tigers are considering their options before they make the decision on Ivan. I would suspect that if Ivan was 100% definite to be coach in 2019, Tigers would have released a press statement by now, just ahead of the pre-season. They are clearly in press statement mode given the announcements about roster and development players.

So my personal take is that Penrith have probably made a deal, Tigers are open to negotiations, but it's all hinging on Tigers making a deal with a new coach (something that requires due diligence and time) and Penrith compensating Tigers in some form. Ivan being on holiday suggests his involvement is done, i.e. both clubs already know his position and are working out the details between themselves.

I would not be surprised at all if part of the deal means Tigers make the first announcement, followed rapidly by Penrith announcing the move of Cleary to Penrith for 2019, likely before end of October.
Penrith did announce that their board have approved Cameron Ciraldo as head coach for 2019. It was some weeks ago.
I'm not sure about that (happy to be corrected) I did hear Gus say off the cuff Ciraldo would be instated as coach for next year .. At the time it hadn't occurred

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:44 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Telltails wrote:

What did the Wests Tigers employee say?.... Did he offer advice or did you ask the question?

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:44 pm

TYGA wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:36 pm
Maguire will be offered the Tigers head coach role next week. Hearing he prefers to stay in Sydney. Bennett is the back up plan preferred by Tigers and management but Madge preferred by Wests Ashfield.
I think long term better with Maguire

Short term bennett.

Hard to choose between them.

Very hard to tell which one will come.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:48 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:44 pm
TYGA wrote:

Short term bennett.

Short term, Bennett is unavailable.
"Quality Stupidity"

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:49 pm

TYGA wrote:
Both are upgrades.
No more plodders!
:sign:

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:54 pm

Time will tell but for all the "set to sign" and "On the verge of" thus far sweet bugger all has happened. I think you all need to consider that the genuine possibility exists that I Cleary will be our coach in 2019.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:54 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
TYGA wrote:

Short term bennett.

I am not sold on Madge. Won a premiership on the back of a dominant forward pack, then it all went downhill.

Great resume from England, but coached Wigan, the super league equivalent of the roosters. I see Potter and Taylor in his past and history

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:58 pm

Harvey wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 5:54 pm
Nucky Thompson wrote:
TYGA wrote:

Short term bennett.

I am not sold on Madge. Won a premiership on the back of a dominant forward pack, then it all went downhill.

Great resume from England, but coached Wigan, the super league equivalent of the roosters. I see Potter and Taylor in his past and history
Madge assemble the premiership team and alot of players that are in the team now.

His coaching did get stale on the team but I'm sure he has learnt and improved on that.