2019 Coaching saga -Thread

Wests Tigers Discussion
TigerCast

Re: Tigers set to part ways with Cleary and seal Bennett deal

Post by TigerCast » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:00 pm

Hey all I've put together my thoughts on the coaching saga, if you have a chance take a listen:

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:01 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:04 am
bigsiro wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 8:09 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:54 pm
I’m apathetic towards Cleary. Wouldn’t affect me.
GNR we might as well continue the discussion here.l being that the other is the poll thread...
I just read this and have trouble with it.
I can’t belive you are apathetic.
No poster here is!

Anyway, being that Hasler is putting his hand up for the manly job, why aren’t we going for Toovey??? That guy is an inspiration. Toughest player I ever saw. A premiership winning coach.
No brainer.
I think different things affect everyone differently. I still don't understand how people defend the 3 morons who left last year, and i don't know how anyone who calls themselves a WT's fan can support any side they play for, including NSW and Australia. But them leaving the way they did does not affect most supporters to that extent, the way i think it should.

As for Cleary, i just don't care. Maybe its because i didn't fawn over him from day 1 like most others did and now feel betrayed. They will now feel the same way i feel about the above 3. I don't feel the same, but i can understand it.
I get that. Fair enough.
I don't think you needed to be a Cleary fan-boy to be angry with him possibly being at the helm for 2019 while he has done such dodgy, betrayal stuff. We need some bloody integrity. But forget that; if Cleary coaches here in 2019 it means we just have a figurehead who:
(a) has no real ambition here
(b) won't bother playing/rotating/experimenting the roster with real consideration expected of a coach
(c) cannot inspire
(d) cannot recruit
(d) has one eye on recruiting for the Panthers

there are a bunch of other reasons too.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:24 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:01 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
bigsiro wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
GNR we might as well continue the discussion here.l being that the other is the poll thread...
No poster here is!

Anyway, being that Hasler is putting his hand up for the manly job, why aren’t we going for Toovey??? That guy is an inspiration. Toughest player I ever saw. A premiership winning coach.
No brainer.
I think different things affect everyone differently. I still don't understand how people defend the 3 morons who left last year, and i don't know how anyone who calls themselves a WT's fan can support any side they play for, including NSW and Australia. But them leaving the way they did does not affect most supporters to that extent, the way i think it should.

As for Cleary, i just don't care. Maybe its because i didn't fawn over him from day 1 like most others did and now feel betrayed. They will now feel the same way i feel about the above 3. I don't feel the same, but i can understand it.
I get that. Fair enough.
I don't think you needed to be a Cleary fan-boy to be angry with him possibly being at the helm for 2019 while he has done such dodgy, betrayal stuff. We need some bloody integrity. But forget that; if Cleary coaches here in 2019 it means we just have a figurehead who:
(b) won't bother playing/rotating/experimenting the roster with real consideration expected of a coach
(c) cannot inspire
(d) cannot recruit

As i've stated many times, i don't think it matters who coaches in 2019, i think our goose is already cooked. I can live with Cleary in 2019, with Bennett coming in 2020. Recreuitment wouldn't be affected one iota. Week to week performance could be, but that's going to happen anyway.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:34 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
bigsiro wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
No poster here is!

No brainer.

So you expect us all to not support our state and our country because one or two players, who left WT on not so great terms, are selected to play for them? Good Lord man get over it!

You do realise the state and national teams are also full of players who play for other teams that many of us probably hate?

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:34 pm

willow wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:31 am
bigsiro wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
No poster here is!

No brainer.
I'm with GNR on this one. I used to get emotionally invested in the Tigers, not these days. The lack of success on the field has probably knocked it out of me. Happy to watch the games whenever I can, but whether we win or lose...meh. Sure it's great when we get a win but I'm never surprised when we lose because we don't have a team full of stars like the chooks or Storm and consistency on the field week to week is something the club has never really had. More important things in life to worry about these days too, so I just put it in perspective - the Tigers are a sports team I like to watch and that's about it.
That's all kind of sad... lack of success means you've had the emotional excitement of it beaten out of you? And life got busy also?

Don't get me wrong, each to their own and I won't criticise anyone for taking out of the game what they feel like taking at the time. And feelings change.

I find it interesting, for example, that willow is claiming to have less emotional investment in the Tigers than I feel I have myself, yet he moderates a Tigers forum and has some kind of stronger information links to the club than I do. So feeling less involved, yet I observe far more involvement via the forum?

But also we all know that you have to invest emotionally in the sum total of the club's performances to get the best highs that the sport can offer. If you invest nothing, then the losses don't matter, nor do the wins - classic loss aversion in psychology.

I think that's where 2041 is coming from - the line between the "die hards" and the "bandwagoners" depends on your definition of how much emotion a fan invests in a result before a match.

For example, I'm always very interested how dramatically my interest in a match is tempered by whether or not I know the result. I.e. I watch every Tigers game live wherever possible, but if not live, then on replay without knowing the result. But if I know the result and it's a loss, I'm probably 20% chance of actually ever watching the game.

What works for me personally is that I switch off from the emotion between games. So I get super excited about a match just as it starts, I watch it on the seat of my pants, then I need about an hour to calm down; 4-5 hours after the game I'm pretty much back to normal. I don't invest emotionally during the week, I don't get particularly fussed about the coach or the recruitment media noise/nonsense. It works because I don't get over-wrought about the Tigers as a successful entity or not, or how the other clubs are doing in comparison.

I love watching footy, I love watching Tigers footy most, my kids stay out of my hair and I get a few hours to just switch off from real life and watch the game play out, talk about the outcome etc.

If you allow yourself to get too abstract, you might come to decide, legitimately, that all sports viewership is ultimately pointless and supporting a club of persons with whom you have no personal contact may even be illogical.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:53 pm

Jirsky, I think you have just described the difference between an interest and an obsession.
I also think that an interest is healthier than an obsession.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 1:05 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:00 pm
I've got no problem with paying Bennett a million bucks. We've got plenty of cash and he's a highly reputable and successful coach who'll bring some swagger with him!
Neither do I.
I wonder why everyone in the media with an opinion seems to think we can’t afford it???

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 1:12 pm

Needaname wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 1:05 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:00 pm
I've got no problem with paying Bennett a million bucks. We've got plenty of cash and he's a highly reputable and successful coach who'll bring some swagger with him!
Neither do I.
I wonder why everyone in the media with an opinion seems to think we can’t afford it???
Wests Ashfield is rather wealthy.. Media seem to skip over that part majority of the time.. Not sure why they do though..
No more plodders!
:sign:

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 1:20 pm

Its an interesting discussion. The level of fan you are percieved as, can be effected by so many variables.
Distance, time, money, health, family and work committments can all have an impact on your level to invest in following a team to what is considered die hard status.
Emotional investment however is not limited by any of those boundaries. Its hard to shake without making a conscious effort to detach, and even then it is almost impossible to do it simply.
The fans that turn up to every game cant be assumed to feel the losses anymore than the person at home who watches every game and rides the roller coaster while abusing the tv screen. The modern game encourages a TV audience so are they any less die hard for taking advantage of that - not so sure.
To preserve your sanity and well being, you have to have defense mechanisms to cope with the lean times however all fans will ride the waves of success and thats exactly what all clubs would bank on.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 1:27 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:34 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
bigsiro wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
No poster here is!

No brainer.

So you expect us all to not support our state and our country because one or two players, who left WT on not so great terms, are selected to play for them? Good Lord man get over it!

You do realise the state and national teams are also full of players who play for other teams that many of us probably hate?
Don't expect you to agree, nor do i care if you don't.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 1:31 pm

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 8:52 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 8:23 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 8:11 pm
helmesy wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:51 pm
Question for everyone here - Pascoe comes out in the next day or two and confirms Cleary will be coach in 2019/20, would you buy a membership? Season tickets? How would you respond?
yeah Ill still get a membership, Club supporter, not individuals...waiting for the draw to be released...when is that anyone know?
This week apparently.
I’ll alao sign up when the draw comes out. Like to see what games we have and make sure I can make it to most (although I always end up getting a full package every year). Doesn’t matter who the coach is to me.

I’d be surprised if the draw is out this week it’s normally mid November/ early December
It was supposed to be out this week, but its been pushed back to next week. Something to do with Parramatta stadium.

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 1:32 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
bigsiro wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
No poster here is!

No brainer.

I’ve heard it all now. Let’s go for QLD and New Zealand because Tedesco plays for Australia. What the........ lol lol lol

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 1:36 pm

Someone mentioned in earlier post that there is WT Board meeting scheduled this week to discuss/ finalise coaching issue.
Can anyone confirm this as correct, and when is the meeting to take place?

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 1:44 pm

TIGERPOWER wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 1:32 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
bigsiro wrote:

No poster here is!

No brainer.

I’ve heard it all now. Let’s go for QLD and New Zealand because Tedesco plays for Australia. What the........ lol lol lol
Exactly. Glad we agree on something.

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 2:22 pm

momo&medo wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 1:36 pm
Someone mentioned in earlier post that there is WT Board meeting scheduled this week to discuss/ finalise coaching issue.
I think it’s tonight.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 2:31 pm

helmesy wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 2:22 pm
[quote=momo&medo post_id=993633 time=<a href="tel:1539657409">1539657409</a> user_id=7488]
I think it’s tonight.
[/quote]
helmesy wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 2:22 pm
momo&medo wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 1:36 pm
I think it’s tonight.
Thanks

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 2:31 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:01 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
bigsiro wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
No poster here is!

No brainer.

I get that. Fair enough.
(c) cannot inspire
(d) cannot recruit

No, it doesn't. Just like it doesn't for Bennett either.
They're all professionals and will do whatever job they have to the best of the ability as long as it's required.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 2:46 pm

851 wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 11:56 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 11:15 am
formerguest wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 9:48 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 4:15 pm

We have the time to sit around and dissect every syllable that’s said during any of our perceived disasters,
Sometimes other people don’t say the things that we want them too, but no matter what they say, there’d be some here , that will always complain that the announcement/ statement isn’t what they want to hear,
We don’t matter, and Coaches/Clubs/Players, all at some times puts out press releases that mean Bugger All.
And even if their releases are 100% accurate, someone is bound to misunderstand, , or. object to , or simply fail to understand what some of the wording means
They can’t please us all ........
Didn't take more than a few minutes to dissect his press release , yet Cleary took 5 days to sort out the statement that said bugger all, as a short sentence from TT clearly shows. Also, unless Chris Lawrence is a liar, Ivan certainly told him no such thing.
It took ages for 851 to disect and understand one word of Bennett’s statements , let alone the rest,

I’m still not sure that he does :D
Funny bloke not, if you look a little harder you will see he agrees with me about Ivans half baked statement.

Who agrees with you?
lm talking about most of the Statements that have been made during this off season, plus the one we’re you were confused on the meaning of “We.” And “ I”.