Te'o surprised at how weak Tigers defence was

ImageImageImage
willow

Te'o surprised at how weak Tigers defence was

Post by willow » Sun 19 May, 2013 7:35 am

South Sydney second-rower Ben Te'o said Rabbitohs were surprised by how easily they broke through Wests Tigers defence

Nick Walshaw
The Sunday Telegraph
May 19, 2013 12:00AM

RABBITOHS second-rower Ben Te'o has revealed just how weak the struggling Wests Tigers defence has become - conceding the biggest problem Souths faced was staying composed once they broke the line.

While the Tigers conceded 54 points on Friday night, what most concerned critics was the ease with which they gave up ground in the middle.

Tigers forward Adam Blair was the worst offender, missing seven tackles, including a terrible attempt on Souths halfback Adam Reynolds.

Eddy Pettybourne and Benji Marshall also missed five each, taking the Tigers' tally to 49, with another eight also deemed "ineffective".

Having started his career at Wests Tigers, Te'o admitted feeling for the players, especially those like Marshall with whom he has a close friendship.

Yet when quizzed on whether he was surprised with the ease in which Souths made ground up the middle, the Queensland Origin incumbent replied: "Ah, yeah I was. Right from those first few sets, when we got our big boys running, you could see we were punching through pretty easy and getting a roll on.

"That's where we had to stay composed.

"We were breaking the line (so) easily, guys then wanted to offload a lot. So that's the main thing we spoke about at halftime, staying composed."

Asked if he was surprised with the breaks made through the guts of the Tigers defence, Souths coach Michael Maguire said: "Not surprised, no, because we've got a good forward pack.

"We started George Burgess this time, who did a great job for us. But all the forwards, they laid the platform and enabled the ball players to play. Obviously Greg (Inglis) then scored a number of tries off the back of that.

"The boys are working hard for each other which helps us to play like that."

ragedmachine

Post by ragedmachine » Sun 19 May, 2013 8:26 am

Embarrassing, shameful, humiliating.

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 19 May, 2013 8:33 am

Souths had a training run .Thursday night ball work .

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 19 May, 2013 8:34 am

Wish someone had of smashed that big mouth Teo

Have him feeding through a straw for a few weeks

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 19 May, 2013 9:07 am

Lol wish we had the player who could do it

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 19 May, 2013 9:56 am

happy tiger wrote:Wish someone had of smashed that big mouth Teo

Have him feeding through a straw for a few weeks
The fact that nobody smashed him is also embarrassing.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 19 May, 2013 10:12 am

When that heartless lowlife merkin comes out and openly bags you with good reason you have failed as a football team

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 19 May, 2013 10:19 am

I've always been surprised at how weak Ben Teo ethics have been...
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 19 May, 2013 4:54 pm

Im just happy Ryan got split last weekend

Teo's never bothered me....he is a by-product of our club...thats the sad part

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Sun 19 May, 2013 5:38 pm

ragedmachine wrote:Embarrassing, shameful, humiliating.
Thats an understatement

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 20 May, 2013 10:53 am

The only upshot is that of all the Rabbits players running riot on Friday night, Te'o really wasn't one of them.

I still remember the Parra game at ANZ, 2008 when we were getting towelled and Danny Galea started at prop, did his achilles. Te'o bludged out near the centres, barely took a hit up all game when we needed go-forward.

He is a heartless skirt who just likes to hang around near the try line to appear on the highlights reel.

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Mon 20 May, 2013 11:10 am

Geez I hope everyone of our players, even the injured players read this article because if they don't feel ashamed, embarrassed, humiliated or furious then they've got to question their desires. This sort of stuff should hurt them real bad and provide ammunition to improve things. Reading that hurt even me. To hear those things about my own team isn't easy and doesn't sit well with me at all. If I was a player this would be the final straw. It's time to get tough. Not just say it but actually hold my own self accountable to become tougher. Down right embarrassing this is.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 20 May, 2013 11:17 am

Furious1 wrote:
Thats an understatement
I wonder how Mick Potter and his defence coach Royce Simmons are reacting to the disgusting display they each had a hand in last Friday? Probably as lackadaisical as usual. Mick, Royce and Adam Blair each fit the same mould.

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 20 May, 2013 12:09 pm

sad to say.
x2
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

TonytheTiger

Post by TonytheTiger » Mon 20 May, 2013 2:28 pm

jirskyr wrote:The only upshot is that of all the Rabbits players running riot on Friday night, Te'o really wasn't one of them.

I still remember the Parra game at ANZ, 2008 when we were getting towelled and Danny Galea started at prop, did his achilles. Te'o bludged out near the centres, barely took a hit up all game when we needed go-forward.

He is a heartless skirt who just likes to hang around near the try line to appear on the highlights reel.
Yep, that's why I wasn't sad to see him go. He plays well in a good pack but goes missing when his team is down.

The game you mention we got destroyed. It forced Sheens to debut one Daine Laurie the following week against the Broncos. I was at the game and even though we lost I thought he was something special.

mtd

Post by mtd » Mon 20 May, 2013 11:04 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:I've always been surprised at how weak Ben Teo ethics have been...
what exactly was weak about his comments?

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Mon 20 May, 2013 11:19 pm

kicking us while we are down.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

sunshine coast tiger

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Tue 21 May, 2013 8:28 am

Don't really know If Teo can comment on soft defence. When he played for us I remember some of his defence was pathetic. On reflection maybe the pea heart can comment on soft defence. I for one was happy to see the back of him.