The penalty goals

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: The penalty goals

Post by quintus » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 9:27 pm

Anyone who knows Rugby League knows that we should have kicked for goal. When you play with fire you will eventually get badly burned.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 11:31 pm

100% the right call to take the tap and stay up that end with 3 minutes to play. A 3 point lead is no good to us if they regather a short kickoff and score a try. Plus we are forced to ruck the ball out of our own end under pressure. Even if we didn't score off it, it was clearly the right call to keep play 90 metres away from trouble.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 11:36 pm

You could sense Sheens wanted Benji to take the shot at goal, but watching the game at the time I could see the Tigers were all over the Raiders and they were blowing hard. I figured the way the Tigers finished full of running that if they could hold the ball for 6 tackles they would score or go very close to it. Right decision by Benji in the end. The penalty goal from the halfway line made no sense but the Ryan try on fulltime was just bizarre and showed how dangerous the Tigers are when all is said and done.

Payten said after the game that the Tigers did not stick to the gameplan in the first half. Not surprisingly they did a much better job of it in the second half.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 12:27 am

quintus wrote:Anyone who knows Rugby League knows that we should have kicked for goal. When you play with fire you will eventually get badly burned.
Of course anyone who disagrees with you knows nothing about rugby league...

koori boi

Post by koori boi » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 12:33 am

know the right decision was he tap look at the result of it

AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?

Post by AndTheKungFoSing » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 8:20 am

Mona Lolesi wrote:If anything the best thing to do would've been to take a shot at goal after the first penalty. Soak up time and then miss on purpose (ala Sharks the other year). Then we get the ball back from a 20m drop out.
That's what i want them to do hahaha I was screaming at the computer! lol All is good though and the extra points a bonus lol
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 12:20 pm

If we didn't take the kick from halfway Ayshford wouldn't of got injured.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 12:32 pm

Eddie wrote:100% the right call to take the tap and stay up that end with 3 minutes to play. A 3 point lead is no good to us if they regather a short kickoff and score a try. Plus we are forced to ruck the ball out of our own end under pressure. Even if we didn't score off it, it was clearly the right call to keep play 90 metres away from trouble.
But if Lote runs 80 off the kickoff and passes to Liam who in turn passes to Lawrence whos scores next to the posts and inturn Marshall converts, then its OK.

If we lost the ball on the next play after the tap, they run 80 and score, wrong call.

Lots of things could have happened, easy in hindsight, im just talking about what the coach wanted, and what the players did, and then did a couple of minutes later

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 1:17 pm

I don't care who made the decision. It was the right one, regardless if we scored a try. When youlead the game with 3 minutes left you don't let the other team back down the other end of the field unless your penalty goal takes the margin out to 6 or greater.

If we did take the shot at goal I would of been instructing Marshall to suck up 2 minutes and then miss it deliberately (or just kick it like usual!)

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 2:01 pm

I know it was the right decision, I wasnt concerned when we tapped it, though was thinking just how much time we could soak up and how many sets theyd be likely to have.
It was more the second penalty on halfway that seemed out of synch....

domster

Post by domster » Tue 06 Apr, 2010 9:04 am

If we did take the shot at goal I would of been instructing Marshall to suck up 2 minutes and then miss it deliberately (or just kick it like usual!)[/quote]

Soaking up the clock would definitely have been the right play IMO.

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Tue 06 Apr, 2010 10:59 am

innsaneink wrote:Im pretty sure watching 9 Sheens wanted us to go for goal when up by 1 with about 4 minutes to go, but Farah taps and goes....then we get the penalty right on halfway and benji despite kicking at only 50% decides to have a shot?!?!?!
And misses but we score and all live happily ever after
Who's running this show, what the hells going on?
i looked at sheens 10 times and i have no idea what he was saying.
maybe you are good at reading lips
just because he was yelling doesn't mean he was apposed to benji taking the tap and not going for goal.
glass half empty perhaps

it's a tough decision.
take the 2 points and risk an error in your own half
or take the tap and risk losing the ball in their half where a penalty against us could cost us the game.

the last kick was almost perfect.
took over a minute off the clock and left 16 sec when it came into play.
unfortunately ayshford still got injured