Tedesco's magic play baffles everyone

willow

Post by willow » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 3:15 pm

Mon 08 Aug, 2016, 8:07am
By Chris Kennedy ‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com

James Tedesco's match-clinching solo try against the Cowboys on Sunday afternoon had to be seen to be believed and after the game even the man himself still wasn't sure what had happened.

Tedesco beat 10 players on his late run to the line (if you count a couple of second efforts) and somehow got the ball down with three players still on him. It turned a tense six-point advantage at 20-14 into an unassailable 26-14 scoreline.

Afterwards, the fullback said he wasn't sure what had happened while his coach admitted that even after Tedesco had beaten half the Cowboys team he was still just hoping for a quick play the ball to set up for a field goal.

"I said to Mitch [Moses] I would just be an option outside him," Tedesco recalled after the game.

"He threw me the ball and I was not confident taking a field goal, so I just thought I would run it. I don't know how I go there in the end, I was just trying to get wherever.

"The boys say they try and support me but they don't know where I'm running. I don't know where I'm running either, I just found myself near the line. I was pretty lucky to get there."

Tedesco admitted to being relieved, given that the Tigers' previous set in field goal range ended with hooker Dene Halatau being tackled on the fifth play and Tedesco, forced to jump into dummy-half, firing a wild ball over the head of Moses as he called for a field goal.

"I was pretty worried if it was double movement then they would get a penalty and they would be down our end. I know Mitch was thinking field goal, he wanted to go the set before but I threw a pass over his head we ended up getting a repeat set, so we were lucky. We'll take it," Tedesco said.

"I was looking up, Mitch was like 'hit me'. I'll have to start practising them I think!"

Coach Jason Taylor admitted the last few minutes had been shaping up to be "really scary" after a late Ethan Lowe try gave the visitors a few minutes in which they needed one try to force the game to golden point extra time – but luckily the Cowboys produced an error shortly after the restart that allowed the Tigers to dominate the final couple of sets.

"I still can't believe that he scored," Taylor said of Tedesco's freakish effort.

"When he was getting close I thought 'he's got people all over the place and he's beaten that many, maybe we can kick a field goal on the back of this play the ball' - that was all I was thinking. But he got there."

Skipper Aaron Woods added, in understated fashion, he had been "pretty happy" with the try.

"It sort of sealed the game. As 'JT' said we were setting up for a field goal. Teddy's one of those players, anything can happen around him," Woods said.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 3:19 pm

Humble kid. Meanwhile on the Gold Coast, Hayne was quoted after the game "I had some real classy touches"

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 3:46 pm

I dont know what you guys saw but i didnt see that as a try
No replays clearly showed the ball on or over the line and the one shot shot showed Jt's fingers underneath

I was extremely surprised it was given, never the less i was happy for Teddy and the team.

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 4:03 pm

Love the WestsTigers wrote:I dont know what you guys saw but i didnt see that as a try
No replays clearly showed the ball on or over the line and the one shot shot showed Jt's fingers underneath

I was extremely surprised it was given, never the less i was happy for Teddy and the team.
In the replay you could clearly see the ball touching the line. JT helped drag the ball.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 4:05 pm

Went from a run of the mill 38 NRL fantasy points to a Super 70 in that last 30sec alone...

Such a talent...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 4:21 pm

Love the WestsTigers wrote:I dont know what you guys saw but i didnt see that as a try

I thought he got there , the point of the ball just touching the line before Thurstons hand pushes the ball back , millimetres in it !
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 4:45 pm

Dunno if Thurston dragged it.... Tbh looked like a 2nd effort imo... Dbl mvmnt

Cosimo_Zaretti

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 5:01 pm

innsaneink wrote:Dunno if Thurston dragged it.... Tbh looked like a 2nd effort imo... Dbl mvmnt
My read was Teddy kept it in tight to avoid being penalized and Thurston actually initiated the second motion in trying to hold it up. It really wasn't thurston's night.

Definately touched the paint either way.

stryker

Post by stryker » Wed 10 Aug, 2016 6:42 pm

:righton:
GNR4LIFE wrote:Humble kid. Meanwhile on the Gold Coast, Hayne was quoted after the game "I had some real classy touches"
Not quite as you present it. Hayne basically repeated what the interviewer said to him a couple of minutes earlier.

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Wed 10 Aug, 2016 6:51 pm

Cosimo_Zaretti wrote:
innsaneink wrote:Dunno if Thurston dragged it.... Tbh looked like a 2nd effort imo... Dbl mvmnt
My read was Teddy kept it in tight to avoid being penalized and Thurston actually initiated the second motion in trying to hold it up. It really wasn't thurston's night.

Definately touched the paint either way.
Correct.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Wed 10 Aug, 2016 8:16 pm

LTWT if you go to NRL.com and look at the referees review they show a close up of Teddy's try and it clearly shows the ball on the line by a fair way before Thurston lifts the ball up.
This close up was not screened on an TV replays but it show the Bunkers call is correct.
It looks like they have the ability to enlarge the picture, I don't know why they didn't show this enlargement on TV.