Tim Simona

jirskyr

Re: Tim Simona

Post by jirskyr » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 7:18 am

Gambling on matches is a whole different thing and is a permanent taint.

Off-field incidents can be ugly but the worst thing you can do within a code is disgrace yourself on-field. Might not translate as too bad off-field but on-field is your public career.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 8:23 am

It's a tricky one, and while it looks hypocritical at a high level, there is one fundamental difference I believe.

I certainly agree that in an overall societal view, gambling on games is very much low on the scale of atrocities when you consider there are guys playing who have beaten blokes to within an inch of their lives, convicted wife beaters and drug dealers.

However, while having these players in the game is a very bad look, it doesn't weaken what I believe to be the fundamental integrity of the game (i.e. the will to go out and play to 100% every week to get the win.) Gambling on the game, especially your opposite number to score against you, implies that you will deliberately not play to the best of your ability (throw the match,) and compromise the fair contest in order to financially benefit. That is a direct attack on game itself. I understand if people don't see it that way, but that is the one distinct difference as to why I think Simona should never be allowed to play again, it's the same reason why I believe dopers should never play the game again either, they are trying to circumvent a fair contest.
Help me... I broke apart my insides,
Help me... I've got no soul to sell;
Help me... The only thing that works for me,
Help me get away from myself...

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 8:57 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Mon 14 Jan, 2019 8:23 am
It's a tricky one, and while it looks hypocritical at a high level, there is one fundamental difference I believe.

I certainly agree that in an overall societal view, gambling on games is very much low on the scale of atrocities when you consider there are guys playing who have beaten blokes to within an inch of their lives, convicted wife beaters and drug dealers.

However, while having these players in the game is a very bad look, it doesn't weaken what I believe to be the fundamental integrity of the game (i.e. the will to go out and play to 100% every week to get the win.) Gambling on the game, especially your opposite number to score against you, implies that you will deliberately not play to the best of your ability (throw the match,) and compromise the fair contest in order to financially benefit. That is a direct attack on game itself. I understand if people don't see it that way, but that is the one distinct difference as to why I think Simona should never be allowed to play again, it's the same reason why I believe dopers should never play the game again either, they are trying to circumvent a fair contest.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Whether he is remorseful, done everything in his power to prove he is a changed person or not, there will always be that doubt when he misses a tackle or doesn't pass a ball to someone in a try scoring position (which happen regularly in this game i might add) that will cast doubt on the integrity of of it just due to the fact it's Simona that did it.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 9:29 am

Swordy wrote:
Mon 14 Jan, 2019 6:34 am
He was definitely one of my favourites, but his day is done.

If he has paid his penalty, that's good for him moving forward. But I don't get the mentality in sport where we have to give these guys another go, just because. For every Simona, or any other player threatening going to rugby, or retiring or whatever, there is 100 young blokes looking for a break in the game that are honest, sensible and have integrity.

There might be a place for Simona, but not playing.

And as for the "We all make mistakes " line....... I'm not sure you can compare his deliberate and continued actions, knowing they are grossly wrong, with the general mistakes most of us make.
Agree with what you say Swordy.

Snake

Post by Snake » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 9:38 am

There are the spur of the moment mistakes then there is the contrived decisions that persons try to portray as mistakes ... The Myth is the later good riddance ripping off disadvantaged people for monetary gain =GRUB!

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 10:42 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 20 Jun, 2018 2:29 pm
Im a big fan of redemption stories. I was one of the first posters to endorse Russell Packer. I know assaulting another human being is more serious in the scheme of things then throwing a stupid footy game, but gee idk about this one. He also ripped of charities which is a low act. Im not against anyone getting a second chance providing that person can prove they have changed their ways and try to help others. If he could do that the way Packer did i would probably support him. He's gotta put the effort in though.
I agree it’s a low act; but it’s still nowhere as bad as bashing someone within an inch of his life
I’d not like to see Simona back , but I’d rather see that than watch Packer running around in a WTs jumper each week.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 10:48 am

Geez, tough one, especially as individuals were hurt by the jersey crap. Still, everyone deserves a shot at redemption.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 11:07 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 14 Jan, 2019 10:42 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Im a big fan of redemption stories. I was one of the first posters to endorse Russell Packer. I know assaulting another human being is more serious in the scheme of things then throwing a stupid footy game, but gee idk about this one. He also ripped of charities which is a low act. Im not against anyone getting a second chance providing that person can prove they have changed their ways and try to help others. If he could do that the way Packer did i would probably support him. He's gotta put the effort in though.
I agree it’s a low act; but it’s still nowhere as bad as bashing someone within an inch of his life
I’d not like to see Simona back , but I’d rather see that than watch Packer running around in a WTs jumper each week.
It's easy to say that when you're not running a football club.
Help me... I broke apart my insides,
Help me... I've got no soul to sell;
Help me... The only thing that works for me,
Help me get away from myself...

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 12:35 pm

Everyone will have a different opinion on whether he should be allowed back into the game at some point, and there are good arguments both for and against.

Realistically it should come down to whatever the NRL's stated policy on gambling was at the time Simona went off the rails. If the rule book says 'life ban', then it should be a life ban. If it says 5 year ban, then it should be a 5 year ban. If it says something wishy-washy like "at the discretion of the NRL", then he should be allowed to put a case forward for re-instatement at the very least.

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 12:43 pm

I'm not against Simona playing rugby league again. He has paid the price for what he has done. But i am against him being able to play in any form where there is betting involved.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 1:00 pm

His crime was not in the same league as Lodge's

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 1:05 pm

Telltails wrote:
Sun 13 Jan, 2019 12:25 pm
If others got a second chance he deserves his.
x2

its just that he chose the worst time to try and come back..
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 1:07 pm

Disgraced former Wests Tigers player Tim Simona will submit a formal request to end NRL ban

Disgraced former Wests Tigers player Tim Simona is reportedly preparing a formal bid to overturn an indefinite NRL ban for one of the biggest betting scandals in the game’s history.
It’s been almost two years since the now 27-year-old was deregistered for betting on NRL matches, also copping an 18-month good behaviour bond for defrauding charities by selling signed merchandise and keeping the money.

The Sunday Telegraph is reporting Simona will meet with the Rugby League Players Association this week to present a dossier and a letter outlining the community work he has undertaken since the ban, including working with charities Camp Quality and Salvation Army.He has also reportedly completed sessions with a gambling psychologist and now works as a personal trainer for special needs children.

“The past two years have been the hardest of my life,’’ Simona wrote.

“I appreciate the invaluable lessons I have learnt, which have been many.

“My family had relied on me and my income to pay for food, rent, bills and holidays.

“In my culture the children support the parents and relatives overseas and I have not been able to do that, I have let them down.

“They are everything, they’ve kept me positive, made me realise that I’m not a bad person.

“I appreciate life more, I take nothing for granted.

“My intent at no stage was/has been to embarrass the game.“I would never choose to do this journey and I hope no one I love or cared for would go on one remotely similar — it has been the most gut-wrenching, difficult, embarrassing, s***, shaming, disappointing, emotional, isolating, surreal, regrettable, anxious, all to the point I didn’t wish to live.“Thankfully, I have gotten this far with support and love of others who have believed in me — I seek the support and understanding of the NRL and wish to be given the opportunity to show to them I am a changed man and not the person that they have seen and believe me to be.’’

At the time of his deregistration, NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said it was “very hard to imagine” Simona would ever welcomed back into the game.

However, two clubs are reportedly interested in signing him should he be cleared to return.
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 1:47 pm

Just a quick note that the NRL has precedent when it comes to punishment for betting against your own team, which is Ryan Tandy (RIP).

He was also banned for life for betting against his own side. Although the circumstances indicated that he may have altered his performance (which he denied) to facilitate the bet. Something which Simona was cleared of by the NRL.

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 2:43 pm

Abraham wrote:
Mon 14 Jan, 2019 1:47 pm
Just a quick note that the NRL has precedent when it comes to punishment for betting against your own team, which is Ryan Tandy (RIP).

He was also banned for life for betting against his own side. Although the circumstances indicated that he may have altered his performance (which he denied) to facilitate the bet. Something which Simona was cleared of by the NRL.
He was cleared of altering his performance was he, well that's good for him. So who are the two teams interested? Probably Penrith (as Gus was interested before), and Eels?
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 8:59 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Mon 14 Jan, 2019 11:07 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 14 Jan, 2019 10:42 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
It's easy to say that when you're not running a football club.
Doesn’t matter what’ you are running
Someone could have easily died in one incident
No one was was put in that position by the other player,
I’d rather see neither of them back in the game, but if I had to have one of them, I’d rather have
Simona

shakey4d

Post by shakey4d » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 9:23 pm

Doubt he’d make the top 30 of many teams in any case.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 10:03 pm

For mine the Tigers should be the only club that can bring him back if they wish .

Sick of other clubs having to sack players and them coming back elsewhere.

Anyway probably a moot point as I doubt he will be back. Still I wouldn't be against it given the landscape and the potential that this would have changed his whole thoughts on wearing the jersey.