Brooks

GNR4LIFE

Re: Brooks

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 8:12 am

The Patriot wrote:
Sat 25 Aug, 2018 7:41 am
Really went to water once Farah and Marshall were both in the team. he needs to step up his mentality and be the number one play maker in a team.

At this stage we might as well start looking for a long term replacement.
I’ve been saying it for ages, it’s his personality. The guy is scared of his own shadow, as I’m sure a lot of players are very shy away from the game. But when they cross the white line, the killer instinct takes affect. With Brooks, it doesn’t.

Wa Mag/Tig

Post by Wa Mag/Tig » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 8:24 am

Even the best halfbacks have mistakes in them. Brooks will and has delivered this year. His D is above average for a small bloke. Running game just keeps getting better. When he does get full control of his team he will shine. No disrespect to Benji or Robbie but they do take away from his game. I'll have them both back next year aslong as they both realise that it is Brooks' team now and let him take control coz i believe he has it in him.

Earl

Post by Earl » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 8:56 am

I don't believe it's Brooks team but I believe that he is the focal point of most of the good attack that we do. His defence has been pretty good this year as well.

I hope we sign him up on a long term contract and then look to upgrade some other key positions. We should build the spine around him and Mbye.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 8:58 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 24 Aug, 2018 10:22 am
Sabre wrote:
Thu 23 Aug, 2018 10:53 pm
Has trouble reading a game and making decisions based on that.
His kick that went dead in goal late in the game today to give Manly a 7 tackle set is a perfect example.
6 inches the other way it would have been lauded as good game management. It's not like he hoofed it to Appin. That happens in footy.

He had a ordinary game last night, but it wasn't through lack of trying. And he had plenty of mates.
X2

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 9:03 am

From what I have seen from Brooks this year he has truly turned the corner. I expect him to be even better again next year.

Last year and years before he was a turnstyle, now he is almost a hitman in defense, consistently putting big forwards on their back one on one. His tackling has gone to another level. While his missed tackle count is still high, his clutch tackles are very good.

He plays with competitiveness. In the past I haven't seen Brooks get mad on the field but several times this year he has slammed the ball in disgust or pulled up a teammate for doing something silly. This is a critical feature in a playmaking halfback.

He takes the line on way more. If he had more threatening options outside him he'd make a lot more linebreaks. He gets half through a hole but his outside options don't attract defenders. If he had someone like TPJ or Kikau outside him it would be very hard for defenders to deal. Lawrence has found an extra gear this year which has been a major contributor for Brook's improvement but Lawrence alone isn't enough.

He is forcing a ton of line drop outs. This has been a huge turnaround in his game. He is actually getting the ball through legs and into the in goal.

For me, it seems like we have a very basic and boring attacking gameplan that looks nice when it works but the option players generally screw it up. Brooks's job is to just choose the first pass. To the fullback or to the forward laying the line. The problem is that it's the most common attacking gameplan in the NRL (Cowboys attack) and teams know how to defend it. We only score tries when the defense makes a mistake by either sliding off the backrower and opening a hole, sliding off Brooks himself who walks through or if the fullback (Mbye) is able to catch and pass insanely fast. It's low percentage football in the red zone. By running this play we would score less frequently than the Warriors would be just putting up a bomb to Fusitua or Maumalo. Need a new gameplan. Our defense is mostly fine except for how weak we are to big and skillful throw it around teams (Warriors, Raiders etc.).

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 9:09 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 25 Aug, 2018 8:12 am
The Patriot wrote:
Really went to water once Farah and Marshall were both in the team. he needs to step up his mentality and be the number one play maker in a team.

I’ve been saying it for ages, it’s his personality. The guy is scared of his own shadow, as I’m sure a lot of players are very shy away from the game. But when they cross the white line, the killer instinct takes affect. With Brooks, it doesn’t.
Yep, its true.

He is taking small steps and improving slowly thats for sure, but we need more.

This is why you finish 9th.
Its an opinion!

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 9:53 am

Brooks is not the reason we will finish 9th. Playing - and losing - a handful of games with a lock as hooker is the reason. If we’d brought Farah over earlier, or Liddle had not regressed due to injury, we’d be in the 8.
Brooks has been composed and threatening all year. He has had to deal with constant changes to our spine and receiving rubbish ball from rakes who should never have been put in to dummy half.
Brooks is a keeper - contract upgrade and extension is what we should be discussing.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 9:58 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sat 25 Aug, 2018 9:53 am
Brooks is not the reason we will finish 9th. Playing - and losing - a handful of games with a lock as hooker is the reason. If we’d brought Farah over earlier, or Liddle had not regressed due to injury, we’d be in the 8.
Brooks has been composed and threatening all year. He has had to deal with constant changes to our spine and receiving rubbish ball from rakes who should never have been put in to dummy half.
Brooks is a keeper - contract upgrade and extension is what we should be discussing.
I agree....if we didn’t have IC as our coach, there is no way we’d be looking at Nathan Cleary to join the WT....Brooks is in the top 6 halves for 2018 and will only get better in 2019

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 10:01 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Can not agree if the proper game management was implemented the Tigers would be playing final footy this season ...Brooks is one of the reasons the team is not playing in the Finals ,reality is just that Brooks needs to go to 5/8 or move on no more excuses he just is not good enough to allow the team to move to the next level.

Post by 851 » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 10:16 am

Snake wrote:
Sat 25 Aug, 2018 10:01 am
Tiger Steve wrote:
Can not agree if the proper game management was implemented the Tigers would be playing final footy this season ...Brooks is one of the reasons the team is not playing in the Finals ,reality is just that Brooks needs to go to 5/8 or move on no more excuses he just is not good enough to allow the team to move to the next level.
Totally agree, whilst Brooks has improved this year, especially his defence, he has no game management skills.
He very rarely executes the right play or kick, yet it is never his fault apparently.
He has played over 100 games, time for him to let someone else own the team, a running 5/8th may be his spot
Go hard or go home

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 10:56 am

851 wrote:
Sat 25 Aug, 2018 10:16 am
Snake wrote:
Sat 25 Aug, 2018 10:01 am
Tiger Steve wrote:
Totally agree, whilst Brooks has improved this year, especially his defence, he has no game management skills.
He very rarely executes the right play or kick, yet it is never his fault apparently.
He has played over 100 games, time for him to let someone else own the team, a running 5/8th may be his spot
It’s a shame he wasn’t moved to 5/8 when we had you know who in the team..... but it’s got to happen next year with probably Reynolds or Drinkwater in the 7
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

matchball

Post by matchball » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 11:38 am

[flash=][/flash]
GNR4LIFE wrote:
The Patriot wrote:

It's the reason JT punted Farah. Wanted the halves to take more control of the team.
All that has come back to haunt us.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 12:58 pm

matchball wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 11:38 am
[flash=][/flash]
GNR4LIFE wrote:
The Patriot wrote:

It's the reason JT punted Farah. Wanted the halves to take more control of the team.
All that has come back to haunt us.
It's the result of putting all your eggs in the one basket and persevering with players on POTENTIAL!!!!!! It took ages for some to comprehend this with Moses/Brooks that they weren't simply up to it .
I said it at the time when we got rid of Blake Austin that it was a bad mistake , Austin played very solidly from 2015-17 for the Raiders and even got the Dally M Five-Eighth of the year in 2015 .

But as we all know Potential and Retirement Club is our Motto .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

mremedy

Post by mremedy » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 6:19 am

All this negativity for one of the favourites for the Dally M. What does this say for the rest of our players?

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 7:06 am

mremedy wrote:
Mon 27 Aug, 2018 6:19 am
All this negativity for one of the favourites for the Dally M. What does this say for the rest of our players?
It says more about some of our so-called supporters. Brooks has had a great year and if he were on the open market there would be little doubt he would near double his current contract.

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 7:47 am

I think the improvement in Brooks this year has been great, would be offering him a contract extension & if Cleary comes i would play Brooks or Cleary to 5/8.

matchball

Post by matchball » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 9:23 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 27 Aug, 2018 7:06 am
mremedy wrote:
It says more about some of our so-called supporters. Brooks has had a great year and if he were on the open market there would be little doubt he would near double his current contract.
He isn't worth a million a season. I doubt any club would pay that for his services.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 9:29 am

matchball wrote:
Mon 27 Aug, 2018 9:23 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 27 Aug, 2018 7:06 am
mremedy wrote:
He isn't worth a million a season. I doubt any club would pay that for his services.
Yeah, I think clubs will have a look at what saints have done with paying overs for Hunt and think twice.