NRL Confirms 'Brain Bunker' for 2019

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
TIGER

Re: NRL Confirms 'Brain Bunker' for 2019

Post by TIGER » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 5:41 pm

This is all getting a bit too crazy, how about Rugby League players sign a contract stating that they can't take legal action in retirement due to any head injuries while playing?

Nobody is forcing these people to play Rugby League, as far as I'm concerned it's the chance you take playing a contact sport. If you're worried about your body post Footy career, go and study accounting instead of playing footy.
You have to let players take responsibility for their own health and make their own decisions, if they want to play on after getting a head knock let them, it's their body.

HIA is such a disruption to the game.

Mac

Post by Mac » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 7:45 pm

There’s always been something about Annesley I didn’t like...

From Wiki -

“In October 2013, Annesley said that he arranged for Telstra to put in mobile reception, six months prior and without charge, for a new property at Yowie Bay he bought with his wife, claiming he couldn't do his job as a minister otherwise.”

Another pollie with his snout in the trough. Why do we end up with career politicians in management positions in league? Annesley, Beattie - maybe Morrison after the May election - ‘cause his political career seems doomed.

cochise

Post by cochise » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 8:10 pm

Mac wrote:
Sun 13 Jan, 2019 7:45 pm
There’s always been something about Annesley I didn’t like...

From Wiki -

“In October 2013, Annesley said that he arranged for Telstra to put in mobile reception, six months prior and without charge, for a new property at Yowie Bay he bought with his wife, claiming he couldn't do his job as a minister otherwise.”

Another pollie with his snout in the trough. Why do we end up with career politicians in management positions in league? Annesley, Beattie - maybe Morrison after the May election - ‘cause his political career seems doomed.
Annesley is a little different as he became a politician through his profile from Rugby League.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 8:43 pm

The brain bunker will give the NRL more power to influence results

Snake

Post by Snake » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 9:42 am

The word Brain and the word NRL should not be used in the same sentence!

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 9:49 am

Snake wrote:
Mon 14 Jan, 2019 9:42 am
It works in this sentence "The NRL is completely devoid of a functional brain"

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 10:27 am

jadtiger wrote:
Mon 14 Jan, 2019 9:49 am
Snake wrote:
Mon 14 Jan, 2019 9:42 am
It works in this sentence "The NRL is completely devoid of a functional brain"
Brain Dead?
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 10:55 am

I reckon doing this will mean we see a lot more players taken off for concussion tests.
We'll have games where there are no interchange players left and it'll be 12 v 111 or something.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 12:05 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
Sun 16 Dec, 2018 8:03 pm
i've been calling for independent doctors for ages

good decision. need to take bias and subjectiveness out of decisions like these
True - but will be interesting when teams are reduced to 12 players because of over cautiousness.

cochise

Post by cochise » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 4:00 pm

Sabre wrote:
Mon 14 Jan, 2019 10:55 am
I reckon doing this will mean we see a lot more players taken off for concussion tests.
We'll have games where there are no interchange players left and it'll be 12 v 111 or something.
I guess another team broke the Salary cap

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 10:29 am

diedpretty wrote:
Mon 14 Jan, 2019 12:05 pm
tig_prmz wrote:

True - but will be interesting when teams are reduced to 12 players because of over cautiousness.
concussion is something i'd say it's ok to be overcautious about.

i'd be happy if a physio made a mistake and a player was playing with an acl injury, hell cooper cronk played with a broken bone- as long as they know the risks musculoskeletal injuries you can push through.

but in term of neurological conditions (eg the freaky simon dwyer incident as well), make it as objective as possible. the reason being, we know nothing about the brain to know how much injury it can sustain and the long terms effects of it.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 11:13 am

tig_prmz wrote:
Wed 16 Jan, 2019 10:29 am
diedpretty wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:

i'd be happy if a physio made a mistake and a player was playing with an acl injury, hell cooper cronk played with a broken bone- as long as they know the risks musculoskeletal injuries you can push through.

but in term of neurological conditions (eg the freaky simon dwyer incident as well), make it as objective as possible. the reason being, we know nothing about the brain to know how much injury it can sustain and the long terms effects of it.
I agree but my post was more about whether the NRL will put something in place to stop teams from being disadvantaged - maybe teams can name an additional 2 players that can only be used as replacements for HIA. Under the new rules teams shouldn't be able to rort the HIA as they have done in the past and the 2 players will only be used to replace a player under HIA without a reduction in the number of general replacements.

cochise

Post by cochise » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 12:00 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Wed 16 Jan, 2019 11:13 am
tig_prmz wrote:
Wed 16 Jan, 2019 10:29 am
diedpretty wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:

I agree but my post was more about whether the NRL will put something in place to stop teams from being disadvantaged - maybe teams can name an additional 2 players that can only be used as replacements for HIA. Under the new rules teams shouldn't be able to rort the HIA as they have done in the past and the 2 players will only be used to replace a player under HIA without a reduction in the number of general replacements.
I wouldn't mind that idea if we still had lower grades and those players had to have already played that day. Under the current set up I would hate to see it introduced.