Wests Tigers considering forming a partnership with South West Sydney A-League franchise

•  Recent Topics
Wests Tigers Discussion
WT2K

Wests Tigers considering forming a partnership with South West Sydney A-League franchise

Post by WT2K » Mon 17 Dec, 2018 8:32 pm

Wests Tigers will consider opening historic talks to form a powerful 12-month partnership with the A-League’s new South-West Sydney franchise.

Two professional sporting franchises will be pitted against each other in the valuable Macarthur region in Sydney’s southwest when the new Sydney expansion team is admitted to the A-League for the 2020-21 season,

And while the two codes only briefly overlap on the field, each club would be fighting for support, membership and merchandise.

However, rather than see the football franchise as a threat, Wests Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe said his NRL club might look to join forces with its new rival and become powerful allies.

The Tigers are open to a partnership with the new franchise. AAP Image/Brendan Esposito.

“There’s no reason why people can’t have dual membership,” Pascoe said.

“Maybe that’s something we can look at and work with the new club. We will explore all options. You know how good sport is for the community across all sports.

“We don’t believe they will be a competitor of ours. It would be played in a different season and, certainly, there are enough people in the region to support both codes — to support Wests Tigers and whatever the new team is going to be called.

“We support any investment into sport in the region. If it helps with infrastructure improvement across the region, because there is a new professional team there, then we will support it.”

Asked would he be happy to work with the football franchise, Pascoe: “Yeah, why not.

“We’re supportive of it. Well done to the council and group out there that forged forward with the bid.”

Wests Tigers will play three home games at Campbelltown Stadium next season — in rounds two (Warriors), three (Bulldogs) and 23 (Newcastle).

Other Wests Tigers home games will be at Leichhardt Oval, Western Sydney Stadium — to be known as Bankwest Stadium — and Scully Park, Tamworth.

The club will continue to play games at Campbelltown until at least 2020. Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images.

Rugby league fans from the Macarthur district have often said the Wests Tigers have snubbed the area, even as the NRL continues to work diligently at junior level in southwest Sydney.

“We will continue to do what we have been doing, investing across the community in many different engagement programs,” Pascoe said.

“We play games out there, we are very strongly aligned with junior league in the area, along with development and pathways.”

Wests Tigers announced in September the club would play games at Campbelltown and Leichhardt until at least 2020.

The club reached an agreement with Campbelltown City Council and Inner West Council to continue playing at their spiritual homes.
https://outline.com/mYkZSK
No more plodders!
:sign:

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Mon 17 Dec, 2018 11:28 pm

Maybe Farah can be promised a job in the new partnership!
Today we saw a true champion in Winx, and a true bludger in Cleary!

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 12:44 am

I can see the flares at the night games at Leichhardt now

Impressive stuff

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 9:03 am

Could get some quality chants going.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 9:12 am

With a South West Sydney team I could almost barrack for and follow.
Wondering what their name will be. Soccer seems to have very different names.

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 10:58 am

wonder how the wanderers feel about a south western Sydney team.
is there room for both to survive.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 11:05 am

eyewonder wrote:
Tue 18 Dec, 2018 10:58 am
wonder how the wanderers feel about a south western Sydney team.
is there room for both to survive.
Their supporter base will probably split close to half I reckon.

Doesn't really affect Sydney FC I don't reckon as anyone who was going to jump ship already has when the Wanderers came in.

I think that SWS will probably be a proper geographical side, i.e. represent a region or locality. I wouldn't be surprised if they are actually called Macarthur. Instill a bit of parochialism into the game.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 11:24 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 18 Dec, 2018 9:03 am
That would be good , something to inspire the boys in time of need

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 11:26 am

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 18 Dec, 2018 11:24 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Should get the Kevin Muscat song out for Ivan.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 11:29 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 18 Dec, 2018 11:26 am
happy tiger wrote:
Tue 18 Dec, 2018 11:24 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Should get the Kevin Muscat song out for Ivan.
What about the Richard Hadlee , Wally Lewis song out for IC ;) , old and repetitive I know , but gets the point across and is easy for all to learn :D

yeti

Post by yeti » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 11:36 am

Sounds like a very smart move by Pascoe. Why make an enemy when you might make an ally?Can only be winners here with this idea.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 11:43 am

If they called them the Macarthur Tigers and wore orange white and black id give them a cheer!

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 12:24 pm

They won't impact WSW much at all. They had few members down that way. A big win for the SW.

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 12:29 pm

Noice
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 1:05 pm

What a terrible bit of journalism.

Upon reading it closer, the writer phoned up Pascoe, asked a few questions and, boom, we're considering a partnership:

Asked would he be happy to work with the football franchise, Pascoe: “Yeah, why not.

Tarl

Post by Tarl » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 1:08 pm

This is smart thinking from Pascoe!

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 5:22 pm

Great thinking Tigers

Whiteant the blighters drom within....

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 8:12 pm

Silentio wrote:
Tue 18 Dec, 2018 1:05 pm
What a terrible bit of journalism.

Upon reading it closer, the writer phoned up Pascoe, asked a few questions and, boom, we're considering a partnership:

Haha yeah spot on