Salary cap query

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
prattenparkchild

Salary cap query

Post by prattenparkchild » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 2:59 pm

Just wondering whether when clubs submit contracts to the NRL for registration they have the salary component noted. If so, how on earth can clubs officially go over the cap and how can they escape being scrutinized for fair salary for the players experience and skills?

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 4:34 pm

prattenparkchild wrote:
Mon 31 Dec, 2018 2:59 pm
Just wondering whether when clubs submit contracts to the NRL for registration they have the salary component noted. If so, how on earth can clubs officially go over the cap and how can they escape being scrutinized for fair salary for the players experience and skills?
That is too logical a question to ask on NYE.....

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 5:06 pm

Sorry, I'll try to rest my brain for the rest of 2018. Cheers

krayola

Post by krayola » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 5:26 pm

One thing that comes to mind are financial incentives for SOO or Kangaroos selection. These would not be included in base salary cap yet might be found in a year-end salary audit.

Also, in the past clubs have been over because injuries have meant reserve graders have had to be promoted and their game-to-game pay has amounted to the club being over the cap.

Some salary cap overspending is rorting, plain and simple but much of it seems to be risky use of the cap space that has gone wrong and subsequent riskier deals to try to cover up the original mistake.
One of my sources is Pascoe

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 5:40 pm

krayola wrote:
Mon 31 Dec, 2018 5:26 pm
One thing that comes to mind are financial incentives for SOO or Kangaroos selection. These would not be included in base salary cap yet might be found in a year-end salary audit.

Also, in the past clubs have been over because injuries have meant reserve graders have had to be promoted and their game-to-game pay has amounted to the club being over the cap.

Some salary cap overspending is rorting, plain and simple but much of it seems to be risky use of the cap space that has gone wrong and subsequent riskier deals to try to cover up the original mistake.
Yep, I agree- sometimes there are unforeseen, unavoidable reasons that no-one could object to or blame the clubs in question. The thing that gets me, even a simple excel spreadsheet will give you the basic relativity of yearly total player salaries for each club, I wonder if the NRL then with this basic check can / does query NRL clubs when they are seen to be active on player signings when their already submitted player salaries are close to the limit i.e how do you intend to cover this with available limits? Where is the NRL duty of care / compliance / oversight? At what stage does it kick in? or is it Sergeant Schultz again..............................