Re: Annalise Braakensiek

Post by cochise » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 1:06 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 09 Jan, 2019 12:56 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Wed 09 Jan, 2019 9:29 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 2:47 pm
A lot of the time if the internet knows it gets to you, they’ll go even harder. I haven’t ever heard of an athlete committing suicide over criticism. I think they are wired differently to the average joe blow. They have to be.
Maybe not over a specific criticism but considering it's pretty easy to come up with names of even just league players that have ended their own lives - Peter Jackson, Mosese, Francis Winterstein, Chad Robinson. There was that young fellow from the Raiders a year or two ago.

Many footballers are wired differently and many are not. Many learn to ignore or accept or even revel in the negative feedback, but I think the main issue is how much younger and inexperienced first-grade players are in the modern game. And how many players don't make the transition from talent to career, and how many of those don't have the life skills to find another path. Hence the Men Of League.
Is there a correlation though between their deaths and criticism they received? Peter Jackson suffered from manic depression and committed suicide after he had retired. Mosese, it’s been established felt guilt over fearing he might not be able to provide for his family due to an injury. Not saying players are immuned from suicidal thoughts, but they don’t react as emotionally as supporters do to what is said online. There’s never been a suicide, or even an attempt of suicide or just thoughts of suicide due to an athlete being criticised by the public.
You simply do not know that! Everyone is different, even athletes.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 2:50 pm

cochise wrote:
Wed 09 Jan, 2019 1:06 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
A lot of the time if the internet knows it gets to you, they’ll go even harder. I haven’t ever heard of an athlete committing suicide over criticism. I think they are wired differently to the average joe blow. They have to be.
Maybe not over a specific criticism but considering it's pretty easy to come up with names of even just league players that have ended their own lives - Peter Jackson, Mosese, Francis Winterstein, Chad Robinson. There was that young fellow from the Raiders a year or two ago.

Many footballers are wired differently and many are not. Many learn to ignore or accept or even revel in the negative feedback, but I think the main issue is how much younger and inexperienced first-grade players are in the modern game. And how many players don't make the transition from talent to career, and how many of those don't have the life skills to find another path. Hence the Men Of League.
Is there a correlation though between their deaths and criticism they received? Peter Jackson suffered from manic depression and committed suicide after he had retired. Mosese, it’s been established felt guilt over fearing he might not be able to provide for his family due to an injury. Not saying players are immuned from suicidal thoughts, but they don’t react as emotionally as supporters do to what is said online. There’s never been a suicide, or even an attempt of suicide or just thoughts of suicide due to an athlete being criticised by the public.
From what I’ve heard from them (not reports), I’d say Jamie Soward and Ben Hunt are 2 NRL players that have reacted emotionally due to social media negativity
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 9:51 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 10:54 pm
NT Tiger wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 9:40 pm
Thanks Happy, all good here. How are you going?
Can't complain

Seriously though , had a tough 18 months losing both the in laws and step Dad within 11 months

I can't believe how well my kids coped though ......son's school results were still excellent and my daughter got the biggest award the school offers , that was just amazing
Wow, that's tough news for anyone. That will take time. Good on you for focusing on the positives. Keep them chilluns happy and they will repay it all in spades. Happy New Year to you and yours!
"Quality Stupidity"

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 11:11 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Wed 09 Jan, 2019 2:50 pm
cochise wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
jirskyr wrote:

From what I’ve heard from them (not reports), I’d say Jamie Soward and Ben Hunt are 2 NRL players that have reacted emotionally due to social media negativity
Not excusing it but Jamie Soward hardly distanced himself from criticism and public distain the way he carried on like a flog on and off the field.
Nick Kyrgios and Bernard Tomic would be in the same boat.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 11:16 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 08 Jan, 2019 10:27 am
Wow. Incredible amount of raw honesty in this thread. This is why I post about not tearing each other apart personally - you never know what’s going on in another persons life. I’m all up for vigorous, strong debate but I think it’s sad when we start attacking each other. It’s easy to say “toughen up” but for some, this may not be possible.
I really enjoy being part of this forum (it occupies way too much of my time now😉) and after reading the posts in this thread I’m feeling more connected.
Cheers
Well said Steve.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 10 Jan, 2019 12:45 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Can I just clarify that Peter Jackson died from a drug overdose , not from committing suicide

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Thu 10 Jan, 2019 1:01 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 10 Jan, 2019 12:45 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Can I just clarify that Peter Jackson died from a drug overdose , not from committing suicide
Drug overdoses would be nearly impossible to ascertain whether they were accidental or a deliberate act though Happy, unless a note was written.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Thu 10 Jan, 2019 1:06 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Your last statement is pretty naive. Who can tell whether an athlete has even thought of suicide due to fan abuse/harrassment? Very naive IMO.
Jacin Sinclair's suicide was closely connected IIRC.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 10 Jan, 2019 1:08 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Thu 10 Jan, 2019 1:06 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Your last statement is pretty naive. Who can tell whether an athlete has even thought of suicide due to fan abuse/harrassment? Very naive IMO.
No one can. But there’s never been anything made public about any player wanting to off themselves over what’s been said about them on the internet.

kiwitiger

Post by kiwitiger » Thu 10 Jan, 2019 4:22 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
cochise wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
jirskyr wrote:

Wasn't Jason Sinclair after being trolled on line? Just remember it because he seemed a really random target so long after he retired.

cochise

Post by cochise » Thu 10 Jan, 2019 4:57 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 10 Jan, 2019 1:08 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
jirskyr wrote:

No one can. But there’s never been anything made public about any player wanting to off themselves over what’s been said about them on the internet.
That goes reasonably close.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-s ... 3de633dd3b

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 10 Jan, 2019 5:05 pm

cochise wrote:
Thu 10 Jan, 2019 4:57 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Family members aren’t the same. It was a ridiculous thing to do, because it made him an even bigger target. And I like her thinly veiled hypocracy pointing out other players should be blamed as well.

cochise

Post by cochise » Thu 10 Jan, 2019 5:09 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 10 Jan, 2019 5:05 pm
cochise wrote:
Thu 10 Jan, 2019 4:57 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:

Family members aren’t the same. It was a ridiculous thing to do, because it made him an even bigger target. And I like her thinly veiled hypocracy pointing out other players should be blamed as well.
Family members aren't the same?

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 10 Jan, 2019 5:23 pm

kiwitiger wrote:
Thu 10 Jan, 2019 4:22 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
cochise wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Wasn't Jason Sinclair after being trolled on line? Just remember it because he seemed a really random target so long after he retired.
Not sure Kiwi, but I seem to remember something like that about Sinclair
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

cochise

Post by cochise » Thu 10 Jan, 2019 5:27 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 10 Jan, 2019 5:23 pm
kiwitiger wrote:
Thu 10 Jan, 2019 4:22 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
cochise wrote:

Not sure Kiwi, but I seem to remember something like that about Sinclair
https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-ac ... cb563d072a

Sad part is the references to Charlotte Dawson.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 10 Jan, 2019 8:47 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Thu 10 Jan, 2019 1:01 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 10 Jan, 2019 12:45 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
jirskyr wrote:

Drug overdoses would be nearly impossible to ascertain whether they were accidental or a deliberate act though Happy, unless a note was written.
Well reading his Wiki page it says drug overdose , until it changes I suggest we stick with that

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 10 Jan, 2019 8:52 pm

Be sensible here please and don't cast aspersions. Members of Jacin's family frequent this forum.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Thu 10 Jan, 2019 9:15 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Jacin Sinclair, oh no. I don't remember ever hearing about him passing away. I'm sorry, my respect to him. He was one of my favourite young players, I remember having his footy card. Himself and Girdler were my favourite two centres (Girds an honorary Tiger because I liked him).
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign: