Reynolds’ return could force Marshall into shock move

Wests Tigers Discussion
TheDaBoss

Reynolds’ return could force Marshall into shock move

Post by TheDaBoss » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 5:08 pm

Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire is considering moving Benji Marshall to the centres next season following the return of first-choice five eighth Josh Reynolds, as reported by the Sydney Morning Herald.

It is a switch that could accompany for Marshall and Reynolds in the same team after the latter missed most of last season through injury.

Reynolds was confident he could make amends in the 2019 season after signing a four-year $3 million dollar deal with the Tigers.

“I’m not rolling up at 6am each day hoping to get injured,” he told the Sydney Morning Herald.

“I did my best to play through injury last year, but what do you do?
“That last year at Canterbury [in 2017] I tore my hammy twice and my calf. I’d never had a soft-tissue injury before, so I was always behind the eight ball coming into last season.
“The guys here, [physio] Pete Moussa, they all helped me and I felt sorry for them because they put everything into me and my body failed me.

“I did my hammy during the captain’s run leading into round one, then I broke my scapula. Cooper [Cronk] had the same injury [in the grand final]. I’d strap it up, needle it and you’d feel good during the week, but then you’d get to the game and take a hit and you’d have a dead feeling.“It has to turn for me and I honestly believe it will.”

Reynolds was tight lipped when asked about Maguire’s plans were with the duo for next season.

“I can’t tell you. We know what’s going on, it will probably be what you think, and it would be silly not to use all of us. I’m not sitting around saying, ‘I want to wear the No.6’, and Benji isn’t doing that. We all just want to rip in.”

Reynolds added that the Tigers aren’t just looking to make up the numbers next season.

“If we’re only here to make the eight we’re not in the right head space,” Reynolds said.

“Everyone will have their opinion about us, but the one thing I love about us is we’re not just shooting for the eight. It’s maybe something that has happened in the past because we haven’t been there. But we have some really good leaders who have done some good things in the game and it’s exciting.

“I’ve played in a couple of grand finals and and I know the feeling, and there’s that sort of feeling about this group.”

https://www.zerotackle.com/reynolds-ret ... ove-39572/
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 5:13 pm

Up to the Coaching staff to implement if we find that that may be best short term solution to our current dilemma.
It’s then up to Funa and Momo to show form to prove them wrong.
Worth a try out in trails I suppose.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 5:16 pm

Lolz slow news day..typical make stuff up to fill fluff space..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 7:04 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 13 Jan, 2019 5:16 pm
Lolz slow news day..typical make stuff up to fill fluff space..
Yep, they are struggling for news, and would jump on the slightest of rumours,and fluff it up

matchball

Post by matchball » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 8:14 pm

Only 62 more sleeps until Rd 1.
Hurry please.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 10:11 pm

matchball wrote:
Sun 13 Jan, 2019 8:14 pm
Hurry please.
Yes pleeaase.....but on the topic I'd put Reynolds in the centres and keep marshall at 6.....

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 9:58 am

tigerap wrote:
Sun 13 Jan, 2019 10:11 pm
matchball wrote:
Hurry please.
Yes pleeaase.....but on the topic I'd put Reynolds in the centres and keep marshall at 6.....
I wouldn't put either of them there because they're not centres. Give Momorovski a go first and see what happens. Unless Maguire is a complete genius it's not like we're going to challenge for anything this year anyway. The squad ain't good enough.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 11:07 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 14 Jan, 2019 9:58 am
tigerap wrote:
matchball wrote:
Hurry please.
I wouldn't put either of them there because they're not centres. Give Momorovski a go first and see what happens. Unless Maguire is a complete genius it's not like we're going to challenge for anything this year anyway. The squad ain't good enough.
I was thinking about this. Reynolds is normally a 80 minute 5/8 that plays a straight game. Marshall has always come across as X factor impact, sure he isn't as fast as he was but he can still mix things up at the right point of the game.
Marshall is definitely someone I would inject at key points. When all 80 minutes rely on him he kicks on the third or does those classic mistakes. His best spot is on the bench, have him watch the game a bit then inject him where he can do the most damage.

Reynolds though is a center. He either runs the ball hard or does one pass. His passing game sucks and was probably the biggest worry for him.

So I would start Mom/Founa at Center, Reynolds at 5/8. When time comes to mix things up move Marshall into 5/8 (he is NOT a center) Move Reynolds into Center.

Lets see what Madge picks.

rex2ce

Post by rex2ce » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 4:46 pm

reynolds return could force marshall to isp, where he expected to be last season

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 4:49 pm

rex2ce wrote:
Mon 14 Jan, 2019 4:46 pm
reynolds return could force marshall to isp, where he expected to be last season
I hope so nothing against Marshall but his time should be over unless for emergencies

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Tue 15 Jan, 2019 8:18 am

Marshall hasn’t run directly in his entire career, cannot play in the centres

Tcat

Post by Tcat » Tue 15 Jan, 2019 9:49 am

colmcd wrote:
Mon 14 Jan, 2019 11:07 am
avocadoontoast wrote:
Mon 14 Jan, 2019 9:58 am
tigerap wrote:
matchball wrote:
Hurry please.
I was thinking about this. Reynolds is normally a 80 minute 5/8 that plays a straight game. Marshall has always come across as X factor impact, sure he isn't as fast as he was but he can still mix things up at the right point of the game.
Marshall is definitely someone I would inject at key points. When all 80 minutes rely on him he kicks on the third or does those classic mistakes. His best spot is on the bench, have him watch the game a bit then inject him where he can do the most damage.

Reynolds though is a center. He either runs the ball hard or does one pass. His passing game sucks and was probably the biggest worry for him.

So I would start Mom/Founa at Center, Reynolds at 5/8. When time comes to mix things up move Marshall into 5/8 (he is NOT a center) Move Reynolds into Center.

Lets see what Madge picks.
Cant help but agree with you totally here mate. I dont see the advantage of playing Marshall out of position for the hell of it. Marshall should only be used as an impact player off the bench or in the 'worst case' to cover certain positions due to injury during a game. Give someone a chance this year to cement their role as a centre.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 15 Jan, 2019 11:34 am

We need to ensure we are well and truly prepared for Life after Benji and Robbie.

JR is apparently the best we got then we need to pick and stick with him at 5/8.

Love Benji but he needs to be on bench.

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Tue 15 Jan, 2019 11:44 am

Spartan117 wrote:
Tue 15 Jan, 2019 11:34 am
We need to ensure we are well and truly prepared for Life after Benji and Robbie.

JR is apparently the best we got then we need to pick and stick with him at 5/8.

Love Benji but he needs to be on bench.
x2, he can still get his 300 games this way :roll

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Tue 15 Jan, 2019 9:58 pm

I'm happy to have whoever is fully fit and in form at 6.
If that's Reynolds then Benji doesn't make the 17 and vice versa.

Neither of them are centres, neither of them are bench options unless Robbie or Liddle are out.