Cricket Season Thread

TopTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 901
Joined: Tue 20 Aug, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Cricket Season Thread

Post by TopTiger » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 11:26 am

An honourable draw, Uzzie & Finch certainly batted well in both innings.


User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17932
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 3:01 pm

Nelson wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:19 am
Australian cricket needed that kind of result to revive the image of the team. Plenty of grit and character shown.
Particularly Paine. Under plenty of pressure to show something with the bat, especially now as captain and stood up when it counted most. Got a few starts in the South African series but never kicked on with it.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

will1999
Member
Member
Posts: 940
Joined: Wed 16 Nov, 2016 2:52 am

Post by will1999 » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 5:33 pm

when is Smith and Warner back

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 1981
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 5:35 pm

will1999 wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 5:33 pm
when is Smith and Warner back
Middle of next year. Doubt Warner will be back in the team.

Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 3958
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 6:06 pm

Warne may have to eat some humble pie (again) after his comments
in Ivan we distrust


User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29234
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 6:19 pm

Theyre saying it feels like a win almost for the Aussies, and I imagine the pakis are feeling like its one that they let slip
Thats why theres nothing wrong with draws...and its the same for the NRL, often theres a team that feels lucky and grateful to scrape away with 1 point while their opposition are mourning the fact they shoulda had 2...but try telling the NRL that

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17932
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 6:46 pm

Warner won't be back. I think there's been comments saying he'll be in the mix but if he's poison with the playing group he will not be back. I think they are hedging their bets that the next big thing will present themselves, a big ask given CA has destroyed our domestic long format competition.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 1981
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 6:50 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 6:46 pm
Warner won't be back. I think there's been comments saying he'll be in the mix but if he's poison with the playing group he will not be back. I think they are hedging their bets that the next big thing will present themselves, a big ask given CA has destroyed our domestic long format competition.
Opener is one spot we actually have a few decent options. Don’t think he will even get a look in.

Australian cricket really needs to have a couple of bad years to force them to fix the domestic set up.

eyewonder
Member
Member
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue 08 Mar, 2011 5:02 pm

Post by eyewonder » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 7:49 pm

I loved watching shaun marsh bat when on song.
but his test career has to be gonskis now.

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1875
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 9:55 pm

Domestic set up has declined - 100% agree. I also think the introduction of 20/20 is now leading to the development of batsmen with poor defensive technique and too many medium pace trundlers who just put the ball on the spot.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 1981
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 7:40 pm

Great first session by the Aussies, the draw must have really helped their confidence.

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 1981
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 7:42 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 9:55 pm
Domestic set up has declined - 100% agree. I also think the introduction of 20/20 is now leading to the development of batsmen with poor defensive technique and too many medium pace trundlers who just put the ball on the spot.
20/20 cricket is not providing young players withe the foundation they need for the longer form of the game. Young players are so drawn to it that I worry about what test cricket will look like in 5 - 10 years as the players who have grown up with 20/20 as the focal point start to come into senior teams.

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1875
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:13 pm

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 7:42 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 9:55 pm
Domestic set up has declined - 100% agree. I also think the introduction of 20/20 is now leading to the development of batsmen with poor defensive technique and too many medium pace trundlers who just put the ball on the spot.
20/20 cricket is not providing young players withe the foundation they need for the longer form of the game. Young players are so drawn to it that I worry about what test cricket will look like in 5 - 10 years as the players who have grown up with 20/20 as the focal point start to come into senior teams.
You’ve got to keep selling test cricket. My kids (17 and 20) love test cricket. My youngest was on edge earlier today watching Lyon’s great spell. The theatre at the end of the last test was better than any boring bash fest!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 1981
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:47 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:13 pm
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 7:42 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 9:55 pm
Domestic set up has declined - 100% agree. I also think the introduction of 20/20 is now leading to the development of batsmen with poor defensive technique and too many medium pace trundlers who just put the ball on the spot.
20/20 cricket is not providing young players withe the foundation they need for the longer form of the game. Young players are so drawn to it that I worry about what test cricket will look like in 5 - 10 years as the players who have grown up with 20/20 as the focal point start to come into senior teams.
You’ve got to keep selling test cricket. My kids (17 and 20) love test cricket. My youngest was on edge earlier today watching Lyon’s great spell. The theatre at the end of the last test was better than any boring bash fest!
I'm 100% with you. There is nothing like test cricket it is the greatest game in the world. 5 days of drama where one short period can change the direction of a match and that can happen multiple times in a match. Glad to hear the young ones are still engaged by test cricket.

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1875
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:55 pm

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:47 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:13 pm
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 7:42 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 9:55 pm
Domestic set up has declined - 100% agree. I also think the introduction of 20/20 is now leading to the development of batsmen with poor defensive technique and too many medium pace trundlers who just put the ball on the spot.
20/20 cricket is not providing young players withe the foundation they need for the longer form of the game. Young players are so drawn to it that I worry about what test cricket will look like in 5 - 10 years as the players who have grown up with 20/20 as the focal point start to come into senior teams.
You’ve got to keep selling test cricket. My kids (17 and 20) love test cricket. My youngest was on edge earlier today watching Lyon’s great spell. The theatre at the end of the last test was better than any boring bash fest!
I'm 100% with you. There is nothing like test cricket it is the greatest game in the world. 5 days of drama where one short period can change the direction of a match and that can happen multiple times in a match. Glad to hear the young ones are still engaged by test cricket.
The other point I’d make is that pitches prepared as ‘roads’ for batsmen is taking away cricket’s most intriguing feature: the battle of bat against ball. It’s sad. I’d much prefer a 50 over game where 240 is chased down at 8-241. So much more interesting than 380 plays 381. But that’s just me. Glad to hear you love test cricket!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 1981
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:11 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:55 pm
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:47 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:13 pm
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 7:42 pm


20/20 cricket is not providing young players withe the foundation they need for the longer form of the game. Young players are so drawn to it that I worry about what test cricket will look like in 5 - 10 years as the players who have grown up with 20/20 as the focal point start to come into senior teams.
You’ve got to keep selling test cricket. My kids (17 and 20) love test cricket. My youngest was on edge earlier today watching Lyon’s great spell. The theatre at the end of the last test was better than any boring bash fest!
I'm 100% with you. There is nothing like test cricket it is the greatest game in the world. 5 days of drama where one short period can change the direction of a match and that can happen multiple times in a match. Glad to hear the young ones are still engaged by test cricket.
The other point I’d make is that pitches prepared as ‘roads’ for batsmen is taking away cricket’s most intriguing feature: the battle of bat against ball. It’s sad. I’d much prefer a 50 over game where 240 is chased down at 8-241. So much more interesting than 380 plays 381. But that’s just me. Glad to hear you love test cricket!
You’re right. One day great has turned into a smashathon and is becoming stale for mine. Love to watch a batsman have to battle and scratch away to earn their runs. Always happy
To meet another test cricket lover.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17932
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:16 pm

Great start by the Aussies, frittered it away though as the Pakistan fight back in the second session. Good dig by Sarfraz and Zaman.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 1981
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:44 pm

Massive fight back by Pakistan but a wicket at the end of the session gives Australia a chance to roll them for under 300. Big last session coming up.

Post Reply