2012 benjis best year?

Year_of_the_Tiger

The stats say it. The team as a whole played poorly. He lead the team. If he had a decent 6 next to him we would have been top 4

Look at this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XJlf3f2Cewg
\
\
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

Maybe on a personal level it was his best year, but for the team he was playing 7 it is his job to organise the attack, which he simply cannot do. As it is a team game it would rate as one of his worst years ever, whilst some of the blame does fall on Benji for under performing, a bigger portion of the blame goes to the man who persisted with him in a position he is incapable of playing.

@Year of the Tiger said:
The stats say it. The team as a whole played poorly. He lead the team. If he had a decent 6 next to him we would have been top 4

Look at this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XJlf3f2Cewg
\
\
\
\

Firstly , if Benji had a decent 7 beside him I'm hoping you meant Benji isn't anywhere near as good as a 7

Can think of Benji having 4 good games all season (At Benji's standard)

And the other problem is that none of Benji's best games were against the top sides in 2012

He needs to be consistant against all teams , not have blinders v Parra ,Penrith,Canberra and the Saints

@innsaneink said:
Perfect example of the saying "The stats dont tell it all"

Nowhere near his best year….he was pretty woeful at times

they do if u look at ENTIRE stats and not just the ones u want to.
his error count, kick meters, missed tackles, run metres would all be woeful as u suggested

In 2012 Benji was not yet at a stage where he could carry the team on his shoulders. He tried too hard for quick solutions which did not come off. This created an unsettled domino effect through the team. A seasoned campaigner like Anasta will help settle the team and Benji will be able to pick the optimum time to make his mark.

@Newtown said:
In 2012 Benji was not yet at a stage where he could carry the team on his shoulders. He tried too hard for quick solutions which did not come off. This created an unsettled domino effect through the team. A seasoned campaigner like Anasta will help settle the team and Benji will be able to pick the optimum time to make his mark.

And he will go back to his best postion at 6 and we will finally have a half back at 7 in Jacob Miller he will be back to his best next year i cant wait. And now we have another goal kicking and kicking option on last with Anasta and Miller.

He led the comp for try assists and line break assists and scored more points in a season than he has previously - which suggests he had a cracker of year but…..As we all know, Benji's running game basically evaporated this season and he rarely took on the defensive line with any vigour at all. His overall involvement was also sadly lacking, especially in crunch games towards the end of the season when the Tigers needed him to come up with not necessarily all of his trick shots, but rather solid, consistent, dependable plays which every team needs during tough games.

The lack of a genuine 6 (apart from young Sirro over a few weeks) really had a profound effect on Benji's game this season as the team looked to him more often than they should have, and Benji himself at times looked confused with a lot of sideways running which never worked and all too often left the Tigers outside backs with terrible ball, hence why Ayshford and Lawrence were so poor.

Get him back at 6 for 2013 and slot another playmaker in at 7 and we'll see a much more dangerous Benji Marshall. I think if he looked back on this season and watches a few of the games, I'm sure he knows he came up with some ordinary plays which he knows can be improved upon.

@willow said:
He led the comp for try assists and line break assists and scored more points in a season than he has previously - which suggests he had a cracker of year but…..As we all know, Benji's running game basically evaporated this season and he rarely took on the defensive line with any vigour at all. His overall involvement was also sadly lacking, especially in crunch games towards the end of the season when the Tigers needed him to come up with not necessarily all of his trick shots, but rather solid, consistent, dependable plays which every team needs during tough games.

The lack of a genuine 6 (apart from young Sirro over a few weeks) really had a profound effect on Benji's game this season as the team looked to him more often than they should have, and Benji himself at times looked confused with a lot of sideways running which never worked and all too often left the Tigers outside backs with terrible ball, hence why Ayshford and Lawrence were so poor.

Get him back at 6 for 2013 and slot another playmaker in at 7 and we'll see a much more dangerous Benji Marshall. I think if he looked back on this season and watches a few of the games, I'm sure he knows he came up with some ordinary plays which he knows can be improved upon.

Exactly all your points were right once there is a halfback he will be back to his best.

2011 he was runner up for the Dally M medal. Stats mean nothing.
\
\

As a main playmaker, how good his year was will always be linked to how well we played.

I'm glad his stats were good though, he was always trying.

No doubt his stats are pretty good for 2012….also no doubt he went missing way too much in 2012\. Best year? nah, 2010 and 2011 were much better.....dont even mention 2005! just goes to show what damage this guy can do IF he has a real half next to him ala Liu and Prince. With Sheens gone, I really hope Miller can add that to the team next year....I think next year we will see the Benji of old.

the stats say it all, that highlight video was only 5:50 in length, usually he can fill a full 10 minutes

heh

nah I think he had an OK year but was hampered by being out of position

Best yet… No so sure As this is subjective.

BMP carried this team. Injuries across the park as well as the highs and lows of our captain meant that this superstar of the game was carrying a lot of expectations.

We judge benji harshly.

The year was a failure however individualy it was one the best.

More like despite being played out of position he still had the talent to make the most of it at half-back.

But this, plus trying to carry the team and kicking duties were too much for him in 2012, most of the time he looked tired with the ball instead of being ready to explode.

Benji needs the new coach to give him clear direction and a pathway that he can follow in order to realise his potential.

By this I mean having a team structure that doesn't revolve around everything he does - but suits his role as a game breaker at 5/8 when it will work. All the years of being given licence to 'play off the cuff' and 'creating magic' has given him an inconsistent game and made him ineffective in a structured arena such as test football because he just doesn't fit in.

If Potter can coach this into the team and Benji it will be a major improvement. Let's hope do because Benji is running out of time to properly learn how to use his amazing talent within a good team structure.

I suppose it depends on which stats are more important to a team structure, but it does highlight that Benji 'can' play 7 and have an influence.

Prefer him as a 6 though, but he needs a Halfback not a 7 to allow him to play his best.

@Tiger Watto said:
I suppose it depends on which stats are more important to a team structure, but it does highlight that Benji 'can' play 7 and have an influence.

Prefer him as a 6 though, but he needs a Halfback not a 7 to allow him to play his best.

The whole idea was to show benji as an individual carried us. In the context who cares about 7 or 6\. Just brilliance wherever, and especially this year in a mediocre team.
\
\

Latest posts

Members online

Back