CEO - Shane Richardson

After our interview with Gary Barnier yesterday, I am confident that all the recommendations will be put into action, so that is one obstacle out of the way.
It always seemed to me , that people arnt THAT stupid ! I know on the podcast forum there’s talk about the magpies faction , but surely as time moves on and those people either fade out in thier staunchness or unfortunately pass away , show more of an interest in wests tigers etc. that they start being the voice you ignore in the room .
I mean constantly on this forum a select few turn up and start death riding and saying it’s only a matter of time , type rhetoric . Like I said “ not the opinion of someone we should Be listening to.

It always seemed to me , that people arnt THAT stupid ! I know on the podcast forum there’s talk about the magpies faction , but surely as time moves on and those people either fade out in thier staunchness or unfortunately pass away , show more of an interest in wests tigers etc. that they start being the voice you ignore in the room .
I mean constantly on this forum a select few turn up and start death riding and saying it’s only a matter of time , type rhetoric . Like I said “ not the opinion of someone we should Be listening to.
What is important now is to get the independent directors in place in a timely fashion.

Push to get Richo back to Souths

While the chess pieces are being moved in the background to bring Wayne Bennett back to South Sydney, powerful figures at the club also want Wests Tigers interim chief executive Shane Richardson to make a stunning return.

The veteran administrator was spotted lunching with Rabbitohs officials on Wednesday, although I’ve been assured the catch-up was scheduled long before the axe was being sharpened to sack coach Jason Demetriou.

Nevertheless, the push to bring back Richardson as head of football – a role he previously held until he left in 2020 – to support Bennett is well and truly on.

Whether it happens depends, largely, on the Tigers.

Richardson is contracted on an interim basis until June 30 and has been negotiating a three-year extension for more than a month.

But he’s told the club if the governance reform initiated by the Holman-Barnes Group – the Western Suburbs side of the joint-venture – isn’t completed then he’ll be out the door.

Part of that reform led to Richardson being installed in the first place, but the recommendation from former NRL chief financial officer Tony Crawford and businessman Gary Barnier for three independents to sit on the board alongside chairman Barry O’Farrell has not yet happened.

While Richardson has the Tigers pointed in the right direction, he wants to know who he’s answerable to before agreeing to stay.

Souths are keeping an eye on the situation as they work out what to do if Demetriou doesn’t survive.
Richardson mightn’t be on the Christmas card list of chairman Nick Pappas, but he has a critical ally in co-owner Russell Crowe.

The Hollywood actor has a deep affection for Bennett, but with Richardson it’s more of an abiding respect because of his ability to make hard decisions and not care whose feelings might get bruised.

He was responsible for bringing Bennett to the club in late 2018 after flying to the UK where Bennett was coaching England following a tumultuous and ultimately final season at the Broncos.

The pair butted heads early on over the signing of Latrell Mitchell, but eventually developed a close relationship because Bennett could focus on the NRL team while Richardson worried about recruitment, retention and pathways.

Speculation that they fell out was wide of the mark. Rather, they clashed on footy matters, a healthy and inevitable dynamic at any club.

If Bennett was to return to Souths, it’s hard to see it happening without Richardson supporting him.

Doubtless, your poor old correspondent will be accused of doing Richardson’s bidding because, well, this is rugby league and people are idiots.

He refused to comment when approached on Thursday and was unhappy the piece was being written. O’Farrell also refused to comment.

Richardson isnt dumb he knows we have got jumpy in the past making dumb decisions. Easiest way for him to be signed on for long term by having competitive tension. Look what that did when we signed Jayden Sullivan, Bud will be NRL's richest NSW Cup player soon.

Only when we become Wests Tigers. An identity void of a past history... Can we truly celebrate our past.... appreciate a past...sometimes it feels as though we are in no man's land... because of the dinosaurs....

Only when we become Wests Tigers. An identity void of a past history... Can we truly celebrate our past.... appreciate a past...sometimes it feels as though we are in no man's land... because of the dinosaurs....

It would help immensely if the Wests Tigers had a past worth celebrating beyond 3-4 months in 2005 ….

Like most professional team sports… winning changes everything ….if what Richo , Benji or anyone else tries to do… if that doesn’t translate to results on the field then nothing is going to change …

I have permission to release it.
I understand you may not have time for this but would it be possible to cut out the stuff he has already mentioned then release that? Maby as part of your main pod? All good if not keep up the good work legends

My understanding about Shannon Cavanagh’ s punishment for highlighting governance failures was a loss of membership to Wests Magpies and as a result had to pay $10 to see Wests Magpies play at Lidcombe. I thought he remained Chairman and a Director of Wests Magpies?
Are you saying Wests Magpies lost members due to Shannon Cavanagh's punishment tf?
I'd be Very surprised if that happened.
Imo the opposite would happen as a protest against WTs from the Magpies faithful, as they felt very strongly the punishment was extremely unfair.
As far as I know Wests Magpies members have always had free admission to Magpies matches.
Only visitors have had to pay.

It’s dog eat dog all throughout the sport, at every level.
It's big dog eats little dog in every walk of life BF05.
And if in the process of being eaten little dog puts up a fight, big dog gets very sneaky, angry, and will do anything to stay top dog.
Barry O'Farrell should have some interesting stories to tell having been top dog and having a liking for very expensive wine, and keeping it a secret.

Last edited:
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...g/news-story/100b22c3f6bb0bb5418a52784699a6bb

D-DAY FOR RICHO AT WESTS

The new-look Wests Tigers board continue to deliberate on the future of interim chief executive Shane Richardson after the parties met this week to talk about a long-term deal.

Richardson’s six-month contract is inching towards an end after his appointment last December. The Tigers board have been made aware of rumours that a potential position for Richardson to return to South Sydney as head of football is on the table.

With that move in the wings, an answer is expected sooner rather than later. However, there is yet to be a decision on former chief executive Justin Pascoe’s long-term successor.

It's A Funny Game. Art: Boo Bailey

It's A Funny Game. Art: Boo Bailey
Despite the interest from South Sydney – where Richardson shares a close relationship with co-owner Russell Crowe – Richardson has made it clear he wants to remain in his current role permanently.

Complicating matters is that the people who helped parachute him into the position and pushed for the removal of Pascoe and ex-chair Lee Hagipantelis last December have had their power significantly dented.

Tony Andreacchio drove the controversial review but lost the chairmanship of majority shareholder the Holman Barnes Group in March.

Holman Barnes Group chairperson Julie Romero now holds significant sway despite Barry O’Farrell once again joining the Tigers as chairman. O’Farrell’s spot too is only temporary as the club works towards completing its governance review with no guarantee that he will be in the job long-term.

HOW TIGERS PLAN TO REPEL STEFANO RAIDS

Interim chief executive Shane Richardson has outlined his plans to make Stefano Utoikamanu a Wests Tiger for life by convincing the powerful prop that the club has turned over a new leaf.

Richardson stepped into the Tigers’ hot-seat in January and one of his first orders of business was to sit down with Utoikamanu’s manager, Daniel O’Loughlin.

It was a sign of how much the Tigers value Utoikamanu and how much they hope he will be part of their future as he weighs up whether to recommit to the club.

In-demand Tigers prop Stefano Utoikamanu. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

In-demand Tigers prop Stefano Utoikamanu. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images
The Tiger are desperate to keep the in-form prop but Richardson won’t be rushing anything.

He wants to give Utoikamanu time and space to fall in love with the club again.

“I want him to settle at the club, to see that we have changed under Benji (Marshall) and the club itself has changed,” Richardson said.

“So there is a feeling … that this is a different club and a club you want to be at. I will sit down with Daniel over the next period of time.

“I haven’t made arrangements yet but I know Daniel well – we will work our way through it from there and hopefully he stays.”

Utoikamanu has a clause in his contract that allows him to leave at the end of the season if the Tigers miss the top eight. The only way that clause is voided is if Utoikamanu plays two games for NSW in this year’s Origin series. The way he is going, there is every chance that may come to fruition. If it does, a handful of rival clubs will be devastated.

The conga line of clubs waiting to speak to Utoikamanu has lengthened this week following revelations that James Fisher-Harris will leave Penrith at the end of the season.

Utoikamanu is believed to be on Penrith’s wishlist.

Asked whether the Tigers would consider allowing Utoikamanu to go to market now, which would at least give the Tigers an opportunity to understand what they were up against.

Fishy business

The Daily Telegraph NRL Podcast
Fishy business

00:00

44:49

Richardson said: “We’re working on the basis we want him to stay so why would we allow him to explore things.

“The finals clause, in that in fact is not until the finals. Let it settle down, let Stefano settle, see how he goes with Origin.

“If he makes the Origin side we will go from there. When I started with the club in January, Daniel was the first manager I met.

“He knows my stance on it and I know his.”

Richardson believes Utoikamanu wants to stay, although the only way they can truly end any doubt is by winning games.

“I am more than confident that he will stay with us,” Richardson said.

“He has a great attitude, he has a great relationship with Benji, he always has a smile on his face. It will get down to once I sit down with Daniel.

“Certainly he is happy here at the moment, he is playing good footy under Benji, he and Benji have a good relationship. Hopefully we sort it out so he can be a Tiger forever.”

How is Richo not extended already... He has deadset proved himself hands down and why not lock one of the best game operators for 3 years before others poach. He WANTS to stay and seems all leaks have gone and the place seems a lot happier.

This would be a classic Tigers move of delaying this and then losing him. :confused:

I for one am a massive fan of him and excited he has the balls to make the calls

How is Richo not extended already... He has deadset proved himself hands down and why not lock one of the best game operators for 3 years before others poach. He WANTS to stay and seems all leaks have gone and the place seems a lot happier.

This would be a classic Tigers move of delaying this and then losing him. :confused:

I for one am a massive fan of him and excited he has the balls to make the calls
We’ve gone from pure bullshit to no bullshit at CEO. HBG just need to prove they’re not full of shit.

Cant ignore the appointment of the new chair and the stalling to move forward with Richardson - clearly there is some reluctance in committing to such a powerful figure and he won't come cheap. A lot will depend on if she/ and her deputy are prepared to face the kick back if they reject the option.

Back