Chris Lawrence announces retirement

Well played Rowdy. You’ve been an inspiration to anyone that played the game and for those that will follow. An honest player who overcame personal challenges, filtered out the noise and always turned up to play and win. All the best champion!

Local junior, one club man, Kangaroos rep, 250 games, leader.

And he did all this after copping some horrific injuries.

What a player. no doubt he'll always be remembered as one of our best.

Chris announcing his retirement now allows all of us fans to give him the respect and admiration he deserves without the distraction of any other player retiring.Hopefully we can say the same again about another champion from our club in a few weeks time, both deserve to have all of the accolades given them individualy.
Once again thank you Chris for all you have achieved over the years

Chris your a CHAMPION in every sense of the word unfortunatrly in this day an age I don't think we'll see another clubman like you.When your speed diminished after that dislocated hip you changed your style to be one of the BEST defensive forwards in the game some of your tackles on a rampaging FUI FUI were legendary

Great clubman, sad to see you leave, but you did the tigers jersey proud every time you ran out

Good luck in your future endeavors

@innsaneink said in [Chris Lawrence announces retirement](/post/1208297) said:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vCNah9KMWhI

He really had an incredible mix of speed and power, and to top that off a brilliant hole runner.

@Moh said in [Chris Lawrence announces retirement](/post/1208302) said:

He really had an incredible mix of speed and power, and to top that off a brilliant hole runner.

My sister went to the same primary school he did. His 100m sprint record still stands

Maguire on Rowdy

Chris Lawrence coaches what coaches can’t. Even on the day he announced he would be walking away after a decorated 15-year playing career, the Wests Tigers veteran still had something to give.

It didn’t quite catch Tigers coach Michael Maguire by surprise but it provided an insight into the importance Lawrence has as a Tiger.
“I was watching him today grabbing (rookie) Shawn Blore and talking to him about his game,” Maguire said.

“That’s what replicates what Chris Lawrence is all about. That’s how I know and I see Chrissy – willing to do anything for his teammates and staff.

Wests Tigers should seriously look at some sort of post football position based in the Macarthur area for Chris. Something along the lines of a junior development officer. The guy came up through the Wests juniors and is a WT legend. The club needs to have a presence in the area and i think he would be a great ambassador for the club.

@diedpretty said in [Chris Lawrence announces retirement](/post/1215411) said:
Wests Tigers should seriously look at some sort of post football position based in the Macarthur area for Chris. Something along the lines of a junior development officer. The guy came up through the Wests juniors and is a WT legend. The club needs to have a presence in the area and i think he would be a great ambassador for the club.

St Gregs liaison officer

Thanks Rowdy, don't think anyone has given the Wests Tigers more than you - loved the way you played, the effort, the fitness, the loyalty (one club player) and the clean way you played the game. A real role model for the youngsters coming through.

Hopefully, you will be at the club in the fitness / mentoring role for many years to come Rowdy.

Thanks again for everything you did for the Wests Tigers.

An absolute legend of the club and the heart of a champion to come back from the injuries he had. We were lucky to have him.

There may have been 236 players who have worn the jersey but in my eyes, as a supporter of 16 years, he is the #1 Wests Tiger.

The most important finish for us to celebrate in the last round is for Chris. He has been a better person then player and he played for Australia

He was quick wasn’t he! Was that Billy Slater he was pulling away from?

@Geo said in [Chris Lawrence announces retirement](/post/1208376) said:
Maguire on Rowdy

Chris Lawrence coaches what coaches can’t. Even on the day he announced he would be walking away after a decorated 15-year playing career, the Wests Tigers veteran still had something to give.

It didn’t quite catch Tigers coach Michael Maguire by surprise but it provided an insight into the importance Lawrence has as a Tiger.
“I was watching him today grabbing (rookie) Shawn Blore and talking to him about his game,” Maguire said.

“That’s what replicates what Chris Lawrence is all about. That’s how I know and I see Chrissy – willing to do anything for his teammates and staff.

Yep absolute legend! Quietly, with no fuss, has gone about the business and showed us what professional leadership actually means. Well played Chris.

Back