Darcy Byrne

BAGNF05

Not often Benny Elias makes a good point so I’m making a thread.

I hear often that Darcy Byrne is trying to save Leichhardt. How long has this palooka been around as Mayor or whatever he is?

As Elias said on NRL360, what has Darcy ever done to raise the necessary funds to upgrade Leichhardt? Time to find some cash Darcy. I bet the rates in Balmain aren’t cheap.

I hear often that Darcy Byrne is trying to save Leichhardt. How long has this palooka been around as Mayor or whatever he is?

As Elias said on NRL360, what has Darcy ever done to raise the necessary funds to upgrade Leichhardt? Time to find some cash Darcy. I bet the rates in Balmain aren’t cheap.
Bloke makes me vomit in my mouth…
I remember back in the late 00’s early 10’s there were numbers getting around about how much WT’s had to pay (out of our pocket) to upgrade the carpark and path around to the pool… to use it for a few games a year (4 back then I reckon) WTF?
Then we’d have to pay security on game day, TV… and co-ordinate it all…
Logistical Nightmare and cost us plenty…
(Don’t know if that’s still the case?)

When we could basically turn up at Cambo or the SFS without a care in the world and have it all done for us.

Those inner west sympathisers have been like vampires feasting on the tenacity of the Leichhardt faithful for an eternity…

I see merit in staying and going, either way, id just really like to see what it feels like without Darcy and Co having us bent over a barrel…

Not defending Darcy Byrne, but how much did Penrith, Parramatta, City of Sydney or Warringah Council contribute to the upgrades to their stadia/new stadia?

Darcy Byrne rattles the can every few years for show. As I've said elsewhere, no political party of any stripe would provide the necessary funding to Leichhardt. Private investment could be an option if the surrounding land could be developed.

Well he has funded the upgrade of the oval with more toilets, installation of additional seating etc

80 million is a bit out of council budgets, or even the realm that he could attract. For that much you need bigger dogs

WTs is disadvantaged due to having LO and CSS. Minns won't cough up the cash and is even more unlikely to do so when home games are split between the two venues.

If you want modern, we need to establish a new stadium, COE, Club and other usueful facilities (wave park, pool etc) in a greenfield area in the south west growth area.

He’s always in the media and I’ve heard about him for as long as I can recall. Must be popular with a pretty affluent crowd. In that position, I’d be very surprised if he couldn’t get some kind of govt/private conglomerate going to raise $40 million.

I don’t pretend to know politics but I’m with back door Benny on this.

Not defending Darcy Byrne, but how much did Penrith, Parramatta, City of Sydney or Warringah Council contribute to the upgrades to their stadia/new stadia?

Darcy Byrne rattles the can every few years for show. As I've said elsewhere, no political party of any stripe would provide the necessary funding to Leichhardt. Private investment could be an option if the surrounding land could be developed.

The government would love to sell off the old mental hospital site and that would raise enough money to build a super dome at LO.

In saying that I pray it never happens, such a wonderful space for the inner west to have. My favourite dog walking haunt in Sydney

Darcy has always been full of shit spruiking how he wants to save Leichhardt. All talk no action. He's been probably active behind the scenes in its demise.

The government would love to sell off the old mental hospital site and that would raise enough money to build a super dome at LO.

In saying that I pray it never happens, such a wonderful space for the inner west to have. My favourite dog walking haunt in Sydney
There is zero chance of Callan Park being sold off.

There is even less chance of LO becoming a 'super dome'.

It's not in a site suited to big crowds every week.

Last edited:
Reactions: BZN

Correct. Manly have been trying to get Brookvale Oval upgraded just as long as we've wanted LO upgraded. It's in the Northern Beaches council, a bigger, richer council than Inner West Council.
But the council can't afford it. Or won't prioritise it.

At one stage Manly had the PM and NSW Premier as their local members at the same time. Couldn't get the funds for Brookvale.

Last edited:
Reactions: BZN
A local council, even a big one, is unlikely to come up with enough funds to upgrade an oval to modern NRL standards, with new grandstands, a multi storey car park etc.

But maybe Inner West Council could do some modest improvements to the ground. New toilets, changerooms.

Latest posts

Members online

Back