Hooker Strategy

Brett Thurbon

Ok, I guess everyone has a theory on how the rest of 2018 will pan out. Why don't we get everyone to have their 2 bob's worth, someone can take notes, and we can send them off to Ivan. here is my contribution.

Play Robbie for 80 mins for the rest of the season. Play Luke and Josh in the halves, with Benji on the bench. If Robbie needs a rest Benji to 5/8, and Josh to no 9\. Jacob to play big minutes in ISP , with Robbie being his mentor. Not sure where this leaves Mat. 2019 Jacob to start and play 80 mins, with Tyson to take Benji's place on the bench

@ said:
Play Robbie for 80 mins for the rest of the season. Play Luke and Josh in the halves, with Benji on the bench. If Robbie needs a rest Benji to 5/8, and Josh to no 9\. Jacob to play big minutes in ISP , with Robbie being his mentor. Not sure where this leaves Mat. 2019 Jacob to start and play 80 mins, with Tyson to take Benji's place on the bench

I don't think there is much point of sending Ivan's plan back to him.

@ said:
Use a franger and get tested afterward.

I think we should move away from the hooker strategy , it failed miserably for Manly in Gladstone

Just stick to playing good footy and make sure we have some great ideas for the players / players in the 9 jersey :wink:

Stay focussed people

Roberto is our best hooker.
He can mentor liddle who can captain isc for the rest of the year.

If Farah tires up during games I can't see why Jacob can't come on as 9 if his body can handle it. They have similar styles so should not upset the teams strategy too much. Providing it does not waste bench space.

@ said:
If Farah tires up during games I can't see why Jacob can't come on as 9 if his body can handle it. They have similar styles so should not upset the teams strategy too much. Providing it does not waste bench space.

Wasting bench space would be the concern. Someone like a Benji offers more options if someone goes down. As the OP said let's give Liddle big minutes in ISP to get ready for next year. Maybe a run later in the year depending how we are travelling.

I personally would stick with Benji in the halves
He has that awful bomb which is hard to control
He seems to give Brooks comfort to play his own game
And Benji seems to have improved his short kicking by a mile, not those out on the full kicks we used to see or the pass to row 12.

IMO Grub off the bench to inject that energy and enthusiasm especially when players are fatigued

I see Grubs role similar to Beau Ryans sort of role, the gel between players

Staying on topic, Farah to play 80, he has plenty of cover in Grub and ET if required

The strategy should be no 5th tackle option for him. Just pass it and let someone else be the hero and all should be well.
Diving over the line from dummy half trying to score should be banished.

@ said:
The strategy should be no 5th tackle option for him. Just pass it and let someone else be the hero and all should be well.

I think part of the reason why IC bought him back is his kicking game and his ability to hold the opposition defence up.

@ said:
I personally would stick with Benji in the halves
He has that awful bomb which is hard to control
He seems to give Brooks comfort to play his own game
And Benji seems to have improved his short kicking by a mile, not those out on the full kicks we used to see or the pass to row 12.

IMO Grub off the bench to inject that energy and enthusiasm especially when players are fatigued

I see Grubs role similar to Beau Ryans sort of role, the gel between players

Staying on topic, Farah to play 80, he has plenty of cover in Grub and ET if required

These are my thoughts 100%. It's no coincidence that Benji was in the halves for the Broncos last year and it helped them to the PF. The key is somehow he brings out the best in Brooks which is key. Reynolds off the bench will be lethal to keep the energy up.

Farah will have his best games since 2010 imo. The form is still there as evidenced for South's when in firsts and don't underestimate the impact of legends playing this type of cameo year. And he can he'll Liddke develop. Shame we lost Mahne but Cleary was certainly lucky Mbye and Farah became available because really we only hit the wall for one half of footy.

@ said:

That is the trouble with implementing a policy of no kicking - eventually other coaches pick up on it then they can direct traffic directly to the halves or whoever. The same fault of Wayne Bennets of going for the 2 on a penalty - opposing teams can be guaranteed that they won't lose 6 for an infringement.

About diving over he only did it about 2 weeks ago when fumbled the ball but he should have been awarded a penalty try. If that option is taken away from him again opposition coaches will pick up on and don't allocate him any defence so it will be more dangerous for first receivers. Even if it does not come off every time by attempting occasionally he creates more times when it will come off when he off loads.

Exactly the same for his early kicks on tackle 4 for example - the opposing teams don't expect so he can get better distance.

Dont think Robbie will compete for the 80
Doesn't have the match fitness for a full game of 1st grade and other teams will be running at him
Once he's made 40 + tackles he will need to be rested
Maybe move Reynolds to hooker and Gamble off the bench into the halves
If we are in front and on top then that all changes
Leave Robbie on

@ said:
**Dont think Robbie will compete for the 80**
Doesn't have the match fitness for a full game of 1st grade and other teams will be running at him
_**Once he's made 40 + tackles he will need to be rested**_
Maybe move Reynolds to hooker and Gamble off the bench into the halves
If we are in front and on top then that all changes
Leave Robbie on

Im sorry but i totally disagree
This bloke doesnt leave anything in the tank when he is playing

He is tough as nails and one of those few that keep pushing under pain

People might not like him personally but im sure most know his efforts are 2nd to none.
injuries and all, he keeps going

Back