How come we can't make it out of our own half?

Lachlan Galvin's #1 Fan

It feels like we spend 80% of our games this season camped inside our own half. We're either defending our goal line, or trucking it up for minimal gain, before kicking it around our 40m area. The only time we get anywhere is when we get a penalty or six-again.

So my question is, what is the reason for this? The halves? The forwards? The outside backs not doing enough work? If anyone knows, please enlighten me. Penrith had no issue today steamrolling through our middle, regardless of who ran it. Even known plodder Staines carved us up. Yet when we had the ball, 4-5m hit ups.

Yeah I noticed this...very eveident we had very little to no post contact metres when we hit the line, panthers pigs went thru us like a bad prawn omelette
I saw Ken on one run basically stop at the defence and brace for impact.
We ask defences no questions, its easy for them, we have minimal runners, we are one out most the tiem, we cannot wrestle, we cant get thru lines, we cant go around because we have no speed and we cant go over because the lazy bludgers wont chase kicks

Our backs don't do enough coming out of our own end on the early tackles and our forwards don't get back behind the play the ball quick enough. First 3 tackles are almost always backs, most of the time one being Laurie who despite his efforts, has a lack of size and will be dominated in the tackle resulting in a slow play the ball. Ken is our only back who can consistently get over the advantage line on hit ups but he's slow as anything so even he struggles to get back onside at times.

When the only hit ups you're taking are from backs, you aren't going to bend the line and force them back. They can just play the field shorter, compact their defensive line and control the tempo and line speed. It's the difference guys like Teddy make - bouncing off first contact and getting over advantage line so the props/forwards can get involved earlier in the set.

Madge ball,it was really good 2c them throwing the ball around,having fun

Can’t believe the number of hit ups Laurie is asked to take. He may not be a great fullback, but given his lack of size, surely that blunts whatever energy and skills he has.

We are also predictable with no other players in motion around the ball carrier

And about Laurie, I always thought his strength was to be a running support player.
I've seen some games where he almost was that player, but not enough times.
I think the team structures fail him.

Last edited:
a few reasons we never go anywhere.
1. Our forwards get monstered and never make any metres
2. Laurie is tiny and gets swamped
3. We rarely get a quick okay the ball.
4. Ken gets up from heaps of tackles gingerly before playing the ball
5. Our forwards take an age to get back on side
6. We regular try and move the ball when we are on the back foot

It feels like we spend 80% of our games this season camped inside our own half. We're either defending our goal line, or trucking it up for minimal gain, before kicking it around our 40m area. The only time we get anywhere is when we get a penalty or six-again.

So my question is, what is the reason for this? The halves? The forwards? The outside backs not doing enough work? If anyone knows, please enlighten me. Penrith had no issue today steamrolling through our middle, regardless of who ran it. Even known plodder Staines carved us up. Yet when we had the ball, 4-5m hit ups.
Playing a halfback at 13 is a big part of that, and our props are rubbish outside of Joffa. Musgrove and Tamou not up to it any more. Actually Musgrove never was.

a few reasons we never go anywhere.
1. Our forwards get monstered and never make any metres
2. Laurie is tiny and gets swamped
3. We rarely get a quick okay the ball.
4. Ken gets up from heaps of tackles gingerly before playing the ball
5. Our forwards take an age to get back on side
6. We regular try and move the ball when we are on the back foot
Poor old Ken and Jackson always look like they are in extreme pain and look like they are ready to hail down a medi-cab.

we don’t have a captain that gets into the refs face and complain about what’s going on in the game that our opposition are getting away with .
other teams hold us down way to long .
we are slow at coming back on side .
we are slow at playing the ball .
we don’t have any forwards who run from the back fence and try and smash forwards .
Dane does runs and he is a fly weight .
big Ken is the only guy who goes forward on the early hit ups

Why is that every time we run the ball back all our players have to do a stupid hop and a skip before running instead of just receiving the ball and bloody running hard. By the time we finish the hop and skip the defence is on top of us

Members online

Back