Is it the right strategy

Tiger_heart

To be bringing in "experienced" players in this team? Api leads me to believe that it could be however, out of all the seasoned players that have come to the club, and I am happy tp stand corrected, he is the only one that has been consistently good, heads and shoulders above everyone else, for discipline, effort and all that.
With Luai coming, at 28 and having already won a few premierships, are we likely to be getting the eye of the tiger, the hunger that we need as opposed to going after fringe young, eager players that may not be getting a first grade spot? And in any case, don't we need future prospects (whoever they are now) to step up to support these (older) players?

My sense is that we seem to be building to an average team, more so than one that has any future aspirations to play finals. And I worry that the young guns in our team at present have , like many, many more before them, already reached their potential.

Regards to all

It is a definite concern.
It wasn’t long ago people were saying “just wait until next year when all these forwards get here”. Then we got the spoon with them.
Then people were saying “just wait until next year when these backs we bought arrive. Bula will be a year older, the forwards more settled, new coaching team, new admin…” then we lock ourselves in for another spoon battle with them.
Now people are saying “forget this year, just wait till next year when Luai and a Turuva show up….”

The same people have been waiting for next year for over a decade

It is a definite concern.
It wasn’t long ago people were saying “just wait until next year when all these forwards get here”. Then we got the spoon with them.
Then people were saying “just wait until next year when these backs we bought arrive. Bula will be a year older, the forwards more settled, new coaching team, new admin…” then we lock ourselves in for another spoon battle with them.
Now people are saying “forget this year, just wait till next year when Luai and a Turuva show up….”

Well said,
I thought the forwards we got last year would make a difference to us, They didn't....
Or maybe they did, (Just not enough?)
And we'd have won no games and got lapped by 6o every week last year without them?
history will never know....

But anyone who was claiming last year they were dominant is kidding themselves
(Seem to be the same folk blaming the halfback)
So I've re-thought it (And I've not said it again)

Was interesting hearing Reynolds talk about the squad when he got to Brisbane,
He said something like - He couldn't believe how much they didn't know about Footy....
(And they're full of rep players when he got there)

I'm also concerned about the Footy IQ of Benji and Farah, If they had enough of it
- It would be engrained in the joint (They spent the best part of 20 years in these walls)
I feel they got through the most of their careers on individual brilliance alone.

Well their gotta be right some day
Just looking on the bright side I guess
The wheel is stuck in the panthers swamp and will likely get shunted back to roosters or the storm before it gets a chance to roll our way again imo

Well said,
I thought the forwards we got last year would make a difference to us, They didn't....
Or maybe they did, (Just not enough?)
And we'd have won no games and got lapped by 6o every week last year without them?
history will never know....

But anyone who was claiming last year they were dominant is kidding themselves
(Seem to be the same folk blaming the halfback)
So I've re-thought it (And I've not said it again)

Was interesting hearing Reynolds talk about the squad when he got to Brisbane,
He said something like - He couldn't believe how much they didn't know about Footy....
(And they're full of rep players when he got there)

I'm also concerned about the Footy IQ of Benji and Farah, If they had enough of it
- It would be engrained in the joint (They spent the best part of 20 years in these walls)
I feel they got through the most of their careers on individual brilliance alone.
Wouldn’t we kill for some individual brilliance

This is is a really good point I hadn't considered BB.
What I don't understand is why the hell are we so
structured and limp in attack given they built their
careers on instictive/impulsive play then... Bizarre

Because there's only ever been one Benji Marshall....
And they just don't make many Farahs'

Cattle in the three quarter line is just plain. Don’t forget Benji was passing to players of the ilk of Whatuira, Richard’s, prime Lawrence, Tuquiri, Tuiaki.

Not duds.

Cattle in the three quarter line is just plain. Don’t forget Benji was passing to players of the ilk of Whatuira, Richard’s, prime Lawrence, Tuquiri, Tuiaki.

Not duds.

He also had defensive lines petrified - That left the other fellas plenty of space.....
Especially in that 09-11 period...

IU thought he made the likes of Ayshford and Lawrence look much better
than they actually were in those prime years.

He also had defensive lines petrified - That left the other fellas plenty of space.....
Especially in that 09-11 period...

IU thought he made the likes of Ayshford and Lawrence look much better
than they actually were in those prime years.
True. But the amount of chances our current outside backs are bombing through lack of confidence and ability is pretty shameful.

True. But the amount of chances our current outside backs are bombing through lack of confidence and ability is pretty shameful.

Yeah.... But they're mostly reserve grade Players.
At least Benji had 1st graders to work with (Outside Ryan)

Yeah.... But they're mostly reserve grade Players.
At least Benji had 1st graders to work with (Outside Ryan)
Agree. It’s the main reason we’re 10-12 points worse than just about every team in the comp.

Back