Is Mark O'Neil to blame?

hammertime

I'm sitting here, trying to figure out why the guys have just been overly lazy/dumb the last 3-4 weeks. One of the few correlations I can make is the appointment of Mark O'Neil into Head of Football.

I for one didn't like the way he went about overriding Taylor with the gluten free diet, getting the boys on pizza and beer.

Way more important than the health rationale, does anyone think that it might have put the final 'nail in Taylor's coffin' by undermining the authority he's worked hard to achieve.

Maybe because of it, some of the guys are no longer willing to play smart football and give that extra 10% for JT?

@hammertime said:
I'm sitting here, trying to figure out why the guys have just been overly lazy/dumb the last 3-4 weeks. One of the few correlations I can make is the appointment of Mark O'Neil into Head of Football.

I for one didn't like the way he went about overriding Taylor with the gluten free diet, getting the boys on pizza and beer.

Way more important than the health rationale, does anyone think that it might have put the final 'nail in Taylor's coffin' by undermining the authority he's worked hard to achieve.

Maybe because of it, some of the guys are no longer willing to play smart football and give that extra 10% for JT?

It is a possibility.

Didn't help over ruling the coach and S & C team that is for sure.

I think he was a bad appointment.

I think you are over-reading a bit. The style of footy today was quite different to what we played in the first few weeks. We need to play much more direct, tough football.

I suppose last year's poor performances were O'Neil's fault too, and the performances from the year before that, and the year before that?

In each match this year (except Parra game) our Defence has leaked points, our attack has been hit and miss, and we have drifted in and out of matches. Yes that's what you expect from a young inexperienced side, but we have been a young inexperienced side for half a decade now.

The fact we won the first two games against terrible sides probably glossed over these points to some extent initially. But we have found our consistency again and its back to more of the same.

I haven't been death riding JT like a lot of others on here, but if he cannot get this team playing to an acceptable level then maybe its time to find someone who can (preferably not another young coach looking for an opportunity, but an experienced grumpy hard-nut who will kick some heads when necessary).

But to blame the clubs situation on a guy who has been here for a month…. that's is abit of a stretch !

Didnt take you guys long to get the knives out for Buckets.

@Cultured Bogan said:
O'Neill has nothing to do with a ten year culture of mediocrity.

He was part of that 10 year culture,it is just a coincidence that after the loss to the Titans that he rewarded the players for there mediocre performance and since that game the wheels have fallen off …,As with the CEO another dud appointment this club only knows one way and that is backwards.

A bit harsh on the CEO, there is a lot to like about what has been achieved in a short period of time.

@Snake said:
@Cultured Bogan said:

He was part of that 10 year culture,it is just a coincidence that after the loss to the Titans that he rewarded the players for there mediocre performance and since that game the wheels have fallen off …,As with the CEO another dud appointment this club only knows one way and that is backwards.

O'Neill left us in 2005 after the gf its hard to see how he could possibly be part of the 10 year culture when he wasnt involved with us for 11 years

@iofthetigers said:
A bit harsh on the CEO, there is a lot to like about what has been achieved in a short period of time.

It's just a shame those achievements don't translate onto the field.

@Snake said:
@Cultured Bogan said:

And that was what four weeks ago? What about the other nine years and forty eight weeks?

No.

JT himself said the so-called 'reward' was offered as part of a collaborative process.

Not too many others left to blame - so lets blame the Stadium for being in such good condition, and the sun shining….

@ricksen said:
No.

JT himself said the so-called 'reward' was offered as part of a collaborative process.

What else is he going to say - I'm so peeved off that all the work the S&C team have put in to getting the guys to agree to a strict dietary regime has been thrown out the window by a stupid decision to let them have beer and pizza after a poor result. Not only has it shown the players they can be rewarded fro mediocrity but it has undermined my authority as head coach.

Had he said that I would have applauded him as he was shown the door by management.

I have to admit I was horrified when he was given the job. We really need to change our culture not enhance it.

It seems like he was appointed because he's a club legend. Maybe the club was looking for some good PR, who knows.

@diedpretty said:
@ricksen said:
No.

What else is he going to say - I'm so peeved off that all the work the S&C team have put in to getting the guys to agree to a strict dietary regime has been thrown out the window by a stupid decision to let them have beer and pizza after a poor result. Not only has it shown the players they can be rewarded fro mediocrity but it has undermined my authority as head coach.

Had he said that I would have applauded him as he was shown the door by management.

Tbh you're probably right, but I don't think the act was a brazen display of power from Buckets either. I don't see much wrong with what happened - it was the first proper away trip for the team, and they would have all been going out after the game anyway.

@ricksen said:
@diedpretty said:
@ricksen said:
No.

Tbh you're probably right, but I don't think the act was a brazen display of power from Buckets either. I don't see much wrong with what happened - it was the first proper away trip for the team, and they would have all been going out after the game anyway.

I agree - had we gone on a winning streak everyone would be saying it was a masterstroke. The fact we haven't one since has every one doubting the reasoning.

@jadtiger said:
@Snake said:
@Cultured Bogan said:

O'Neill left us in 2005 after the gf its hard to see how he could possibly be part of the 10 year culture when he wasnt involved with us for 11 years

I think that Snakes post was a joke one. If not, it should have been.

Wait till the other teams discover our Achilles heel, they'll be throwing a medium Pepponi and Anchovy pizza at Teddy whenever the ball comes near him
Buckets should be banned from the club, for divulging our pizza fetish.
I bet Woodsie has a few slices tied up in that hair band in case of the munchies

Members online

Back